Author Topic: Ingredients--Xanthum Gum  (Read 1123 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Ingredients--Xanthum Gum
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
Pet Food Ingredients to Avoid: Xanthan Gum

http://catcentric.org/2014/03/30/pet-food-ingredients-to-avoid-xanthan-gum/

Xanthan gum is a “Generally Recognized as Safe” (GRAS) food additive in the US, Canada, Europe, and many other countries. Yet it is known to be potentially as irritating as gluten for some with Celiac disease, causing gas, bloat and diarrhea (4); and for causing flare-ups for those with Crohn’s disease or Ulcerative Colitis (inflammatory bowel disease).

Whether or not xanthan gum is contributing to the development of IBD in cats, one thing is clear: with the established link between bacterial overgrowth and IBD (including Feline IBD (8)), cats with inflammatory bowel disease should not be eating xanthan gum.

Okay now. This is a concern for me (not a cat) because Xanthum Gum "(derived from corn, soy, wheat or whey)" is used for holding bread products together in gluten-free products. I have an allergy to soy. The bottle says "gluten free" so it's not derived from wheat at least. But I'm also allergic to cow's milk, so whey would be a problem as well. Despite saying "gluten free" that doesn't tell me if it's soy or whey in it either. And I don't see GMO free on the label either.

If it's not safe for cats, then it's probably not safe for me. But I don't have a clue about what else to use to make bread. UGH. My stomach is a million times better though than it was back before October of last year. However, I think I just got turned off of bread thanks to an article about cats!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Ingredients--Xanthum Gum
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
However, I think I just got turned off of bread thanks to an article about cats!

funny2  That's why I'm in the process of going totally grain-free.  After learning how bad grains were for cats, I thought, what the heck are they doing to ME?

Check out Mark's Daily Apple -- he may have a grain-free bread recipe you can use.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: