Author Topic: Shopping!  (Read 1134 times)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Shopping!
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
Raw feeding can be challenging when one lives in the middle of a landlocked desert.
There are no decent "farmers markets", because the nearest agricultural area is about 150 miles away.
There is a hunting community, but due to the effort and expense required, they are very close knit.
There are only 2 independent butchers in the entire city (a city of 1.5 mil. people).  Even then, everything is still shipped in from neighboring states.

So, here's what my shopping lists look like:

Costco:
chicken - the whole fryers
pork - the giant package, aka "shoulder" or "butt"
beef - usually the round is cheapest
lamb - this is painfully expensive, so it's less frequent in the meal rotation
Fish - I have weird cats... they won't eat it.  Occasionally I can get them to eat mild white fish, but generally it's just a wasted effort.

Asian Market:
liver - pork & beef
kidney - pork
melt - pork
heart - chicken and pork
brains - have unfortunately been discontinued

Swap Meet:
pinkies - A friend of mine has several reptiles, and his supplier has a permanent store front at our indoor swap meet. This is a fairly new menu item.

The fun part of shopping day is the looks I get from the cashiers and other customers.

At Costco, I joked with one lady that the animals ate quite well, and it was HUMANS who got the leftovers (which is true!  ;D ).  The man behind her gave me the dirtiest look evah! >:(

At the Asian Market, I am usually the tallest (& whitest) person in the aisles.  I've had many a customer (men & women) stop me and ask, "What are you going to do with all those?"... pointing to the pile of organ meats in my cart.  whistle1

When I ordered 50 pinkies at the Reptile Store, someone exclaimed, "How many snakes do you have?!"  :o  party1
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Shopping!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
I'd have to add Dramamine, to the list of shopping items, to keep ME from barfing.  But...if that is what it takes! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: