Author Topic: Myth: Dogs are Omnivores  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Myth: Dogs are Omnivores
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
Great article...and keep reading, there are more myths to read at the end of each section.
http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Myth: Dogs are Omnivores
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:39:25 AM »
 clapping1  Still one of my "go to" references.   :D
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
I've read so many conflicting accounts. The big dog food companies are spending so much money on spreading lies, the other day I was searching this very topic and there was like a dozen results from large company websites that said unequivocally dogs are omnivores.

The real problem is that we've got so many dogs in this country. Unfortunately, there really is no way we can feed our dogs like true carnivores. It's expensive enough to feed grain-free, let alone a true carnivores diet unless we are going to be committing large parts of our day hunting for deals and such. I recently switched to Primal food and my dog is pretty small, I can't imagine someone with a 100 pound rottweiler feeding this food, it would cost a fortune! But still, the lies that are being spread are just absurd.

There was a study I read a few months back, I may try to find it and post it here. It apparently showed that dogs can digest grains and Purina was having a field day with the study. Just because our dogs can eat something and not diet, just because they can eat something and get 10% of the nutrients, it doesn't mean its the OPTIMAL food for their body. Most people believe this garbage because there is hardly any money put into the opposite side of the debate and Purina and others are getting away with everything.  bangshead

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
First let me say...WELCOME BeckPo!!! 
Always good to have another Purina hater on board.   Silly7
As far as Purina having a field day with the grain study you mentioned...My dog can eat the cats' toys too... but we don't feed them to her.   ;D

On a serious note....We feed our dog raw meats form Hare-Today, Raw Feeding Miami, and Honest Kitchen dehydrated.  Those are the 3 most constants in rotation.  I am waiting for the delivery of our first order from Darwin's. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 02:05:53 PM »
Darwin's looks really affordable, I gave my dog a sample and she wouldn't touch it. I think it may have been the temperature, but she loves the freeze dried primal! I'll have to look at the others you mentioned.

Purina's website and advertising make me so angry.... and the worst part is how many vets actually recommend Purina :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 04:40:54 PM »
Darwin's looks really affordable, I gave my dog a sample and she wouldn't touch it. I think it may have been the temperature, but she loves the freeze dried primal! I'll have to look at the others you mentioned.

Purina's website and advertising make me so angry.... and the worst part is how many vets actually recommend Purina :(

I feel exactly the same way.

PS I called you Becky in another post.  Didn't notice there was no "y" between the Beck and the Po. Now I know.  :-[

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
PS I wouldn't give up on the Darwin if it's something you want to feed.  A rotation of various products is best anyway.

You can use tricks to get him to eat it.  Incentives like PureBites crumbled on top for instance.

I started with freeze dried too, but (cats) they are all mostly on home made raw now.  I do still feed some commercial brands in the rotation.

Another bit of advice, yes it seems overwhelming at first, you mentioned shopping for sales and all.  but after a while it all works itself out into a good routine.  You'll find the routine may change here or there, but stocking up on meat sales and storing them in a deep freeze is a great way to feed cheap.

Of course you will have to learn how to balance home made raw, but it's not too difficult, pretty much 80/10/10.  80% meat, 10% bone, and 10 % organ meat, with 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »
There are also . . . I can't think of the word . . . groups you can join that order raw in bulk and you can get it much cheaper than on your own, to help keep costs down.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 08:14:58 AM »
PS I wouldn't give up on the Darwin if it's something you want to feed.  A rotation of various products is best anyway.

I agree about not giving up on the Drawin's.... not at this stage anyway.  I say that because... in another post I mentioned that I fed it and then took it out of our rotation, due to the montmorillonite clay.  It isn't the best ingredient, but it isn't the devil.  A person has to pick their battles, and what works for THEM and their furkids. 

Rotation of proteins and brands is more important.  The good will outweigh the bad.  Whether one is feeding canned, commercial raw, or homemade raw.  IMHO 

We all do the best we can.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
There are also . . . I can't think of the word . . . groups you can join that order raw in bulk and you can get it much cheaper than on your own, to help keep costs down.

Co-ops.  Our member DeeDee is pretty experienced in that area.  In fact, I think she posted a link to different co-ops somewhere within this forum. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »
Co-ops. 

That's it!  Thanks, Lola!   :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:06:10 PM »

You can use tricks to get him to eat it.  Incentives like PureBites crumbled on top for instance.

I started with freeze dried too, but (cats) they are all mostly on home made raw now.  I do still feed some commercial brands in the rotation.

Another bit of advice, yes it seems overwhelming at first, you mentioned shopping for sales and all.  but after a while it all works itself out into a good routine.  You'll find the routine may change here or there, but stocking up on meat sales and storing them in a deep freeze is a great way to feed cheap.

Of course you will have to learn how to balance home made raw, but it's not too difficult, pretty much 80/10/10.  80% meat, 10% bone, and 10 % organ meat, with 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ.

I think it was really the temperature. I still have another sample in my freezer, I'll try leaving it out for a bit and let it warm up (not too long). Maybe I'll sprinkle some of the freeze dried primal.

Tags: