Author Topic: Dot?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Dot?
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:18:39 AM »
Does anyone have an Echo Dot?  J just got hers Wednesday (had some trouble setting it up), and when she showed it to me yesterday, I thought it was so cool that she ordered one for me, too. 

If you have one, what do you use it for?  It seems like they can do a lot of things.  She even got a book about them.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Dot?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »
What is it?

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
What is it?

Easier to show than explain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFKC2SO?ref=ODS_HA_B_surl&tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=78408970916496&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4eqs0fqx7o_e

You can listen to music, get news and weather, set it up to control lights and thermostat, etc.  I'll probably be busy for hours Saturday, figuring out what all it can do.  I was sold the minute I learned I could ask it to play any music I wanted to hear. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:50:12 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
We haven't got one. Won't have any of those little "helpers" around our houses either. We don't even have our "smart" TV set to any "smart" settings.

Just don't want our lives recorded for other people to spy on--unless we're cutting on a video-cam.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:58:09 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »
Easier to show than explain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFKC2SO?ref=ODS_HA_B_surl&tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=78408970916496&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4eqs0fqx7o_e

You can listen to music, get news and weather, set it up to control lights and thermostat, etc.  I'll probably be busy for hours Saturday, figuring out what all it can do.  I was sold the minute I learned I could ask it to play any music I wanted to hear. 

Sorry to be so dumb.  I still don't understand.  It's some kind of wireless thing you hook up to everything else wireless? I think I am just too old and tired to get on board with it. Though I do know a number of people older than I am who are very hip to all the wireless technology now.

Since I don't do anything wireless, I guess that's why I have trouble grasping the concept lol.

Does it work as a security device?  When I do own my own home I intend to sign up with ADT for home security, including some way for immediate emergency help should I need it (older person living alone issues).  The peace of mind will be worth the expense.

Hopefully all that app stuff won't be required.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
Sorry to be so dumb.  I still don't understand.  It's some kind of wireless thing you hook up to everything else wireless? I think I am just too old and tired to get on board with it. Though I do know a number of people older than I am who are very hip to all the wireless technology now.

Since I don't do anything wireless, I guess that's why I have trouble grasping the concept lol.

Does it work as a security device?  When I do own my own home I intend to sign up with ADT for home security, including some way for immediate emergency help should I need it (older person living alone issues).  The peace of mind will be worth the expense.

Hopefully all that app stuff won't be required.

You're not dumb at all!  The fact is, I can't explain it very well because I don't know that much about it yet, myself.  It's not a home security system, but you are supposed to be able to ask it to make a phone call for you.  I assume you need a smart phone to do this.

I'll update when I learn more.  All I really did yesterday was ask J's dot to play some music for me, ask for the word of the day, the weather, things like that.  "Alexa, what's the current temperature in _____?"  "Alexa, play something by The Cure."  If you don't do wireless, it's not going to work, you have to have wi-fi.   

I did just check, and you can also ask for things like recipes, general information, find a restaurant. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:56:23 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
I get how it connects to Amazon to play music and such.  I don't quite understand how it would know to turn my ceiling fan on... for example.  If my ceiling fan is remote controlled, then I also can make Alexa control it?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
I get how it connects to Amazon to play music and such.  I don't quite understand how it would know to turn my ceiling fan on... for example.  If my ceiling fan is remote controlled, then I also can make Alexa control it?

That's one of the things I don't know yet.  It's all by voice command, what I am not sure about is how you link things like lights, temp control, and all of those things.  I probably won't use mine that way.  I want it mostly for music, news, calendar, alarm clock, reminders...sort of a virtual personal assistant kind of thing.   

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 02:40:27 AM »
Lola, I don't know how you would set it up to control a ceiling fan or thermostat, but you can get what they call "smart plugs" for things like lights and other items you want to use with it. 

One cool use we discovered today is that, if you have them in different rooms, they can be used as an intercom. 

The "sleep sounds" function is also neat.  I cannot sleep in a totally silent room, and there are lots of ambient sounds you can select.  There is even one called "cat purring." 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:02:04 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
Lola, I don't know how you would set it up to control a ceiling fan or thermostat, but you can get what they call "smart plugs" for things like lights and other items you want to use with it. 

One cool use we discovered today is that, if you have them in different rooms, they can be used as an intercom. 

The "sleep sounds" function is also neat.  I cannot sleep in a totally silent room, and there are lots of ambient sounds you can select.  There is even one called "cat purring." 

After my post, I read about smart plugs....and more!  Definitely a neat gadget.   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:44:16 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
HAHAHA that was GREAT! Mainly because I recognized Drew Barrymore right away but doubted myself until I recognized other celebrities..  I just love Drew. But that was a good one.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
Rebel Wilson "Setting the mood" just about made me pee on myself.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
HAHAHA that was GREAT! Mainly because I recognized Drew Barrymore right away but doubted myself until I recognized other celebrities..  I just love Drew. But that was a good one.

I watched it twice and didn't see Drew Barrymore.  ?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Did you figure out more fun you can have with DOT?

Tags: