Author Topic: Metacam - Is It Worth The Risk Or Not?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Metacam - Is It Worth The Risk Or Not?
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:47:46 AM »
Lots of stories/experiences posted here...difficult to ignore.
http://metacamkills.com/

Another view worth reading:
http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/metacam/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Metacam - Is It Worth The Risk Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
In my opinion, no it is not worth the risk.  In a nothing to lose situation, if kitty is going to pass soon anyway, and there could still be some quality of life left if metacam is given, is the only ONLY scenario where I think metacam should be used in cats.

One of my blind spots. :)

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm231254.htm

there is also a vet's opinion page on this, let me see if I can find it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
Here it is

http://is-it-true-that.askavetquestion.com/is-it-true-that-metacam-kills-cats/

However, what surprised me were the number of cases where the vets did everything by the books – preanesthetic blood and urine tests, intravenous fluids during surgery, blood pressure monitored, correct dosage given – and STILL had a cat go into renal failure after a single injection of Metacam injection was given!

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
Don't forget though that sites like "Metacam kills" only provides the figures that are published about adverse reactions that have been reported but you don't know the background and medical history in those instances; you also lack comparative data so in my opinion they give a rather one-sided and scaremongering picture. Data from clinical trials in cats is unfortunately hard to come by. For guidelines recently issued here in the UK by our Feline Advice Bureau (FAB) see here: http://www.isfm.net/toolbox/info_sheets/NSAIDs_guidelines.pdf

Having said that, it would most certainly be my last resort.

It is given out a lot more readily over here in the UK I believe. My friend recently had her cats spayed and she was given a three-day course of Metacam for them (which she didn't give). Another friends kitten was teething and was having a bit of hard time with it and her vet suggested a dose of metacam - she also ran a mile. The worst example I have is that of a rescue on another forum who had it included in their donations wish-list alongside food, scratching posts etc, will you believe it?  >:(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
BECAUSE of the MetacamKills site, I discontinued use of it after the first dose.  The med was prescribed by an ER vet for a urinary blockage.

At the time, (if I remember correctly), the only information on the MetacamKills site was boat loads of personal stories.  FOR ME, the stories were enough for me to RUN the other way.  Also, at the time, the Metacam label stated to not administer to felines.  

Between the site and the label instructions...it went into the garbage.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:16:23 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Metacam is not approved for use in cats in the USA except the ONE TIME shot (as described in the link I posted earlier) Of course we all know vets dispense medications off label, and in many cases I am okay with this.  But not for metacam.

In Europe, metacam is approved for feline use and is manufactured and dispensed in feline doses.  In the USA doses have to be broken down based on dog doses. Usually they are made up into premeasured syringes for the pet owner to dispense, to avoid the pet owner making any mistakes, but there is always room for error when the doses are being figured.  And there is always room for error when the pet owner is giving the doses too.  Cats should not have metacam at ANY dosage more than once every two days.

But I'll stick to my opinion that cats should not e given metacam ever, with the exception of nothing to lose situations, where quality of life for whatever life is remaining, is the only concern.

finnlacey

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »
I know someone personally who's kitty had bladder cancer and was on metacam but as you said, the cancer was already spreading and she didn't have a lot of time. The metacam was the only thing that helped her get through it and she ended up lasting 8 months. I agree in that instance, what have you got to lose? Quality of life over quantity. But other than that, I would never recommend or use it for my kitties myself.

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
In my opinion, no it is not worth the risk.  In a nothing to lose situation, if kitty is going to pass soon anyway, and there could still be some quality of life left if metacam is given, is the only ONLY scenario where I think metacam should be used in cats.

iagree

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »
Make sure that "No Metacam" is written on your cats medical sheets at the vet. 

When Mikey had to go in for his swollen paw, they said nothing was wrong with him, and then shot him up with metacam - with out asking first!!!  I only found out by going through his records.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »
Yes, NO METACAM is on all my cats charts.  Also NO Ketamine, no clavamox and no convenia. :)

Mo I get really ticked off hearing about cats being given the metacam shot without prior owner approval. Especially because you know they didn't do blood work first, and blood work should always be done before using metacam in a cat.

My vet wouldn't even use metacam in a stray I rescued, she knows I feel that strongly about it. I made a point of thanking her for that. :)

Tags: metacam