Author Topic: I need help with cats claws!!  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
I need help with cats claws!!
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »
So today I go to trim Wilsons claws, and i find that the claw has grown really thick, and its really hard to get the clippers around it to clip without maybe cutting him.  Should I take him to the Vet, or to a groomer? and why did this happen?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: I need help with cats claws!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:12:27 AM »
Hmmm... dunno why that would be happening, but I'd definitely make an effort to get them clipped somehow.

My grandmother had an older cat who apparently got to a point where she wasn't shedding her claws properly.  One of them grew so long, it curled into her pad and the foot became infected. 

Not saying that would happen in Wilson's case, since you're obviously on top of the situation.
How "flexible" is your vet?  would they answer a quick consult question of this type?
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »
I've never seen anything like that  :-\

It's just one claw, right and no pain or anything?

Maybe call the vet and see what they think.

cat3

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
If you know a groomer whom you trust, I would take him there.  Otherwise make a vet-tech appointment with a tech you trust, and have the tech do it.  Perhaps the groomer or tech can recommend another kind of clipper to use on that claw so next time you can do it yourself.  How long has it been since you snipped claws?  Doing it more often may help, too.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
I think that its because I used human nail clippers on him, so that is why it is growing out weird, but its only one. The other cat clippers I had trouble using.  I do their nailes about once every 3 weeks. Is that enough? Wilson is easy to do, Shadow not so much, she puts up quite a fight, hence she did have one ingrown claw a long time ago, but its fine now. Im going to try and take a picture of it and you tell me what you think.  I feel so bad :(

P. S I just started going to this vet, and I dont really like it there, and have never been to a groomer, but do know someone that does cats specifically, so I will prob give her a call.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:07:09 PM by Shadow »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »

P. S I just started going to this vet, and I dont really like it there, and have never been to a groomer, but do know someone that does cats specifically, so I will prob give her a call.

Since you like your groomer, I'd go there. 

Am I missing something... :-\ It seems MOST people trim their cats' nails.  I don't.  They all seem to take care of them on their own, by using scratching posts, sisal rope, those cardboard thingies, etc. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »

Am I missing something... :-\ It seems MOST people trim their cats' nails.  I don't.  They all seem to take care of them on their own, by using scratching posts, sisal rope, those cardboard thingies, etc. 

I don't clip my kittie's nails either.  And I've grumped at my vet techs enough that they finally put it in my file to not do it without permission.  It seems to me that the ragged edges of the clipped nails get caught up on more things than when the nails are "natural".  The cats also seem to pick at them more when they've been clipped.

I do allow the vets to trim the dog's nails.  Since she doesn't get as much exercise as she used to, they tend to grow longer.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »

I'd never heard of not doing it, and I'm sure Pookie would like it if I didn't, but since he likes to play with my hair, it gets a bit painful with him pawing at my head/neck unless I trim them. :D

Shadow, I think you're better off with the groomer if you're not comfortable with the vet.  Good luck!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
When I trim claws, no raggedy edges are left, they are trimmed straight and blunt.  If I let it go too long, claws get stuck in things and when I see a cat yanking to free a claw from the upholstery, carpet or afghan my heart jumps in my throat because they CAN pull a claw out.

In addition my cats play together a lot. Keeping claws trimmed helps prevent inadvertent injury.  It also keeps me from being poked full of holes, as all of them enjoy making biscuits ON my body.

The Kitten especially with her extra toes, it is important to keep that claw in the cleft trimmed, serious harm could result if it got caught on something or grew into itself.

<edit to add> as the cats get older the trimming does need to be done less frequently, however, their nails do grow at different speeds.  You can have three claws that seem to have grown not at all and one severely sharp one poking out.  That, too is dangerous, both for the cat with the claw, and the other cats.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
We have a ton, of various kinds, of scratchers... in every room.  They are used a lot.  Maybe that is the difference.  ??  
We (humans) very rarely get a claw injury...when it does happen, it is usually just a poke.  Most of the 7 play with us, with claws in.  They can throw a punch though!  Seriously, I can't believe something so small can have such power behind one paw.  
So far (knock on wood) none have hurt each other either during the occasional spat.
We only have one that likes to knead with claws out.  Still working on her.  
Also, most items in our home are non-soft material...due to allergies.  There are no soft curtains or drapes to climb.  The living room cushions are left alone.  All tile...no carpets.  The occasional throw rugs are a non-issue.  My home has been this way for so long now... (10ish years, after we got the first cat), that I can't remember what "normal" peoples' homes have in them that would be made of soft material for a cat to get hung up on.  lol

I do have the dogs' nails trimmed, as they age and get less active.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:34:39 PM by Lola »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
The cats use their cat scratch posts all the time, does this mean that one does not need to trim claws? Ws in pet store looking at clippers, two types the guiliteen (spelling) kind, and the other kind. which is best, they seem so big!
Here is the best pic I could get of his claw. http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k536/TBOBINA/Wilson/Pics024.jpg
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:21:58 PM by Shadow »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »

Here is the best pic I could get of his claw. http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k536/TBOBINA/Wilson/Pics024.jpg

Is the red looking area an owie?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
Hmmm....one of my cats has a couple of claws that thick too.  I use these clippers:

Lola, I have plenty of scratchers too, and all are used all the time.  I have sisal, cardboard, several different kinds of carpet, and wood. If you don't see any need to trim your cats claws I wouldn't worry about it.  Just check them weekly to make sure they aren't growing into the pad. 

To clarify though, I don't do it because I worry about getting scratched, what I meant was that when they knead on me they poke me through the skin if their claws are too long and sharp and I don't like having holes in my stomach, LOL.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »

Lola, I have plenty of scratchers too, and all are used all the time.  I have sisal, cardboard, several different kinds of carpet, and wood. If you don't see any need to trim your cats claws I wouldn't worry about it.  Just check them weekly to make sure they aren't growing into the pad.  

Not worried.  I was just trying to figure out what may be the difference, from one cat household to another.  

PS..not sure if the same applies to felines, but thick nails in people is a sign of fungus. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:34:03 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
I didn't think you were worried really, it was just a manner of speaking. :)

His nails aren't thickened as if they have a fungus.  They are just...blunted from being trimmed, I think.  If I let them go and didn't trim them they would be long and sharp, narrow at the sharp tip, thicker near the quick. Every claw on a given cat is slightly different from the other claws on the same cat.  Erk, that's an awkward sentence too.  What I mean is each claw is unique, even on the same cat. That doesn't sound much better, LOL.  Anyway,  it's quite interesting! My black kitten's claws are transparent black, but each one has it's own shape and way of growing!

Tags: