Author Topic: Stella & Chewy's Ramblings...  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Stella & Chewy's Ramblings...
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
Normally whoever is home and/or awake, at meal times, feeds the pets.  BUT if S&C is the meal of choice... it takes TWO adults to accomplish.
Today for example... I have to use counter space that is in a corner.  Less open sides.  I then open the cupboard door, next to the refrigerator, to block off that side of me.  Hubby stands on the other side of me for "protection." 
I stir (much toooooo slowly, by feline standards), while hubby "guards." 
The mews, meOWs, and squeaks are at an all time high. 
Cats are jumping on and off counters, refrigerator, dining room table... even the ones that don't usually do that sort of thing.  Cats flying everywhere!  Some at record speed. 
Awwww food is ready to serve... finally. 
Cats are totally underfoot.  Can't walk... have to scoot feet, so no one gets stepped on. 
6 bowls have to be put down at EXACTLY the same nano second... right after Jenkins does his 3 spin ritual.
As the cats are eating, I stay on stand-by.  I keep an eye on the faster eaters, contemplating a food heist.  Lucy... don't have to worry about her.  No one would consider stealing her food. 
Lacy (dog) hates S&C... never any plates to wash. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:40:13 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Stella & Chewy's Ramblings...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
Hilarious!  I'm glad they like it.  Queen Eva usually has to be coaxed, but Jennie loves it, but then Jennie eats anything.

I use the .8 oz bags now.  Did you know they are most usually more than that 8/10 of an ounce?  .85, .86, sometimes even .9 or over. (I weigh every serving they eat these days).  I split a bag between Jennie and Queen Eva two or three times a week.

I used to have a spinner, that was Baby.  Jennie spins sometimes in eagerness but not every time.  Tolly was a circler, he would circle his dish suspiciously before he would eat.  He also circled before he settled to sleep.

Back to S&C, I feed the chicken, the duck & goose and the turkey.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »
I have been buying the .8 oz packages.  Just too easy... but expensive (for me). My last order was the bigger bags.  .43 cents an ounce cheaper.  Hubby did the math.  :) 
I wonder if those little packages are the "left overs" from filling the bigger packages.  It doesn't matter, but little packages are more like crumbs.  Big package is nuggets. 
I haven't tried the duck or goose.  I kept meaning to check into those proteins being recommended for cats, but never have. 

Tolly being a circler... I bet that was cute.  Such adorable personalities. 

Normal meal times... I can carry 4 bowls at once.  Roxy's bowl is put down first.  She eats the slowest and yells the loudest.  Next up, is Arrows and Lilly.  All this time, I am "fighting" off Jenkins.  He reallllllllly has a thing about food.  He will INHALE his food, and then attempt to steal someone else's.  This may not sound very nice, but...  his bowl is slid into the adjoining room...away from the others.  This gives the first 3 time to eat, before he even starts. 
The last two... Lola and Lucy... they just wait nicely at the end of the line.  Wait for me to get their bowls.  I thank them every time, for their patience. :) 

Lacy (dog) doesn't care if she is fed first or last.  She doesn't go near the cat bowls, when they are eating... yet she will share her food with them.  Therefore, we almost always feed her away from the cats, so there isn't any sharing. 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:25:09 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Do you buy them by the box?  The .8 oz packages I get have the whole nuggets in them, I buy them in 12 pack cases.  Usually from NaturalPet I think, I usually get a pretty good price.  I had to stop getting the 12 oz bags because I was throwing too much of it away, I just don't go through it fast enough, and Queen Eva won't eat from the larger bag after it has been opened for more than a week.

My girls all have their meal spots and they each wait at their own spot to be fed.  Queen Eva likes to be fed in the bathroom with the door shut, I have no idea why, but I usually insist she eat breakfast and supper in the kitchen.  Lunch and the bed time meal I indulge her bathroom space.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
Do you buy them by the box?  The .8 oz packages I get have the whole nuggets in them, I buy them in 12 pack cases.  Usually from NaturalPet I think, I usually get a pretty good price.  I had to stop getting the 12 oz bags because I was throwing too much of it away, I just don't go through it fast enough, and Queen Eva won't eat from the larger bag after it has been opened for more than a week.

My girls all have their meal spots and they each wait at their own spot to be fed.  Queen Eva likes to be fed in the bathroom with the door shut, I have no idea why, but I usually insist she eat breakfast and supper in the kitchen.  Lunch and the bed time meal I indulge her bathroom space.

I bought the smaller packages from Chewy.com.  A case of 24 for $41.99. (YOW.  I see the price just increased to 47.76!) 12 oz bag for 20.99.  They used to have the best price, of the places I ordered from.  I'll definitely be price checking, before my next order.
Anyway...There are some whole nuggets, in the smaller bags.  Just more crumbs, than nuggets.  Again, it doesn't matter to me... just made me curious.    Bumpurr1  It did take less time to prepare the "crumbs" though.  lol

You insisting Queen Eva eat breakfast with the family... that cracked me up!  Don't let them watch TV either.  Meal time should be family time.   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:14:36 AM »
I usually get them from onlynaturalpet.com, last time I paid 21.49 for the 12 count boxes.  Of course I'm only feeding two with these, two to three bags a week, so it is less costly for me.

The chicken is more crummy (crummish?) than the duck/goose or turkey I notice.  Queen Eva usually needs incentive to start but finishes well once she gets started.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »
Normally whoever is home and/or awake, at meal times, feeds the pets.  BUT if S&C is the meal of choice... it takes TWO adults to accomplish.
Today for example... I have to use counter space that is in a corner.  Less open sides.  I then open the cupboard door, next to the refrigerator, to block off that side of me.  Hubby stands on the other side of me for "protection." 
I stir (much toooooo slowly, by feline standards), while hubby "guards." 
The mews, meOWs, and squeaks are at an all time high. 
Cats are jumping on and off counters, refrigerator, dining room table... even the ones that don't usually do that sort of thing.  Cats flying everywhere!  Some at record speed. 
Awwww food is ready to serve... finally. 
Cats are totally underfoot.  Can't walk... have to scoot feet, so no one gets stepped on. 
6 bowls have to be put down at EXACTLY the same nano second... right after Jenkins does his 3 spin ritual.
As the cats are eating, I stay on stand-by.  I keep an eye on the faster eaters, contemplating a food heist.

I WISH Pookie got that excited over Stella & Chewy's.  I don't even bother feeding it anymore -- he just had no interest in it.  *sigh*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
I usually get them from onlynaturalpet.com, last time I paid 21.49 for the 12 count boxes.  Of course I'm only feeding two with these, two to three bags a week, so it is less costly for me.

The chicken is more crummy (crummish?) than the duck/goose or turkey I notice.  Queen Eva usually needs incentive to start but finishes well once she gets started.

For months, it seemed like everyone sold S&C for the same price.  I was pleasantly surprised, when I found it at Chewy.com cheaper.  I'll have to do some price checking again, before my next order. 
For us, one meal is 4 of the little bags.   :o  That is why I switched to buying the larger bag.  Still steep, but it is one food I actually feel good feeding.  Of course, their response to being fed it... is pretty cool too! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
I WISH Pookie got that excited over Stella & Chewy's.  I don't even bother feeding it anymore -- he just had no interest in it.  *sigh*

IF I remember correctly, originally Roxy had to be coaxed into eating it.  I sprinkled a bit of Vet's Best on top.  I THINK she was the only one.  Don't quote me though.  ;) 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
I should clarify... when I first introduced it, it didn't go over well at all.  It was probably a year later (or longer), when I introduced it again.  Maybe I gave up too soon, the first time?  Maybe I fed so much more of a variety, that it wasn't as big of a shock?  Who knows...  lol 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
I should clarify... when I first introduced it, it didn't go over well at all.  It was probably a year later (or longer), when I introduced it again.  Maybe I gave up too soon, the first time?  Maybe I fed so much more of a variety, that it wasn't as big of a shock?  Who knows...  lol 

I've tried it several times, sprinkled goodies on it . . . he'll eat it, but you can tell he's not excited over it.  So he'll just keep getting the RadCat, plus raw gizzards and chicken hearts.  I would have liked to add another raw, but not if I have to beg him to eat it.  I'm glad your furkids like it!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »

I remember when you got discouraged the first time.  I did find it at a very good price at Chewy's.com but that was a while back, this time onlynatural had the better price and no shipping.

I've tried it several times, sprinkled goodies on it . . . he'll eat it, but you can tell he's not excited over it.  So he'll just keep getting the RadCat, plus raw gizzards and chicken hearts.  I would have liked to add another raw, but not if I have to beg him to eat it.  I'm glad your furkids like it!

That sounds like a great diet!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
Thanks, MC!  :-* HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »

Some can be coaxed, some can't.  They definitely call the shots, at times!
Rad Cat... I'm sooooo jealous of both of you! 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
I really love the Rad Cat.   If I could afford it and had the freezer space I would feed them much more of it than I do.  Of course I have tried a few times to add a Rad Cat meal to Mazy's evening diet, but she has always thrown it up.  Maybe it's time to try again.  I would really like her to be eating 1 1/2 oz of it a day, and 2.1 oz canned, instead of only one ounce of Rad Cat and 2.6 oz of canned.

Also wish she could eat the lamb, but she can't handle any red meat.

Tags: