Author Topic: Book about Treating Allergies in Pets  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Book about Treating Allergies in Pets
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »
I’ve been meaning to post this information but just never got around to it.  With Catster shutting down, I remembered that I had posted this information in the Cats with Allergies group, of which Pookie’s sister was a member.  I read this book a couple of years ago, and it may have been updated since then, but I wanted to pass this on.  The book might help those kitties with environmental allergies. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for food allergies.   :(

The book is "Pets at Risk: From Allergies to Cancer, Remedies for an Unsuspected Epidemic" by Alfred J. Plechner, DVM. He noticed that a horomonal imbalance can (and in many cases, does) affect the immune system. By correcting the imbalance, the immune system stabilizes and doesn't over-react to allergens. He's had a lot of success with animals that have allergies, epilepsy, urinary problems, FIV (about 70% of cats he's treated test negative after a while) and even cancer.

His book is written for lay people to understand, and includes the protocol for testing (he tests for things vets don't usually look at), how to interpret the tests, and treatment. I will tell you that his treatment is considered controversial because he hasn't done clinical trials, but he and other vets he's worked with have used it on thousands of pets, usually with good results. The treatment usually involves putting the pet on a VERY low dose of cortisone for life -- the cortisone corrects the imbalance with no side effects, because you're only correcting the imbalance, not over-dosing. Treatment for dogs is similar but also usually involves adding a thyroid drug as well.

I don't think there are plans for clinical trials. I know Dr. Plechner developed this in the 1970's and had used it for a long time, then retired. He then came out of retirement to continue to help people's pets with his protocol. He also has a website (I think the book is better): www.drplechner.com. Feel free to check it out.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Book about Treating Allergies in Pets
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
Thank you for this! I think I might do the clay protocol in the free ebook from http://drplechner.com/clay-vaccinations/ when they have to get their rabies vaccinations this year. They're getting the 3-year this time even if I have to go to another vet's office to get it. It can still cause the complications as the annual one though, so the clay can't hurt.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."