Author Topic: The Problem With "Friendly" Dogs  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
The Problem With "Friendly" Dogs
« on: August 30, 2018, 07:41:06 AM »
People that believe their dogs should meet and greet every dog and owner that they come into contact with... reallllly touchy subject with me.

Due to a terrible experience, our Lacy was VERY fearful of other dogs.  She didn't react in a negative way towards other dogs... ever.  She would shake uncontrollably, and often sit immobilized.  Sometimes "scream." 

Current dog is a former street dog.  Fearful of humans.  She isn't a threat to people.  She has been "pushed," and has never attempted to bite.  She just shuts down. She will lay flat, look in the opposite direction... anything ...hoping she has become invisible to the person.  Even when I TELL people to not pet or talk to her... they still try. 

I understand if I told people my dog is not friendly, that would likely stop the meet and greet behavior.  I associate the words "not friendly" as a negative thing.  The negative behavior is not my dog, it is other dog owners.  Leash YOUR dog people!  Don't use a retractable leash, where you have little to no control.

Dog issues aside... it is rude to assume every dog and person wants to meet YOUR dog.  Use some manners.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:43:14 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The Problem With "Friendly" Dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »
I just recently purchased one of these for Misa.  She LOVES walks.  In time, she might not be as fearful of humans.  Right now, with them "coming at her," it doesn't help the situation.  Maybe this bandana will keep people away. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GlamourDogBoutique?ref=l2-shopheader-name
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:52:20 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:06:17 PM »
I hope the bandana helps .  People are such idiots.  I completely agree with all you said.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »
I hope the bandana helps .  People are such idiots.  I completely agree with all you said.

I am hoping the bright red and the word STOP will do the trick.  They have bandanas that ask "please," but I have already tried that. 

I'm not one to dress up my pets normally, but I might just start.   Silly7

Misa isn't a male or a weiner dog...but this one is funny!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/630885809/ready-to-ship-my-weiner-gets-all-the?ref=shop_home_active_74

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
 Silly7

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
I will confess, I'm one of those who wants to meet the dog when s/he's being walked.  That said, I will ask if I can "say hi," and if I was told no or the dog isn't friendly, I would respect that.  I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't force myself on the dog or ignore the owner's directions.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 05:04:44 AM »
My sister is like that on hikes.  Drives me crazy.   Silly7

Me..if a dog looks at me I say hello to him or her. If the dog ignores me I ignore him.  If the dog lunges at me I avoid him. If the dog charges at me and the owner obviously isn't going to do anything I stand my ground and yell STOP. Sometimes that works, if it doesn't I turn my back or lift my knee to protect myself.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
I will confess, I'm one of those who wants to meet the dog when s/he's being walked.  That said, I will ask if I can "say hi," and if I was told no or the dog isn't friendly, I would respect that.  I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't force myself on the dog or ignore the owner's directions.

I used to be the same way!  I don't remember who taught me differently.  I had no clue until someone educated me.  It might not be a good idea at times, but I think it is normal human behavior. 
People that naturally want to talk or pet a dog... don't bother me.  I get it.  It just doesn't work for Misa.  Not right now.

The people in the waiting room at vet offices... I get a little wound up.  A room full of dogs and cats... and the majority are visibly upset.  Get a clue.  A dog being allowed to sniff a cat carrier... not good in my book either.  One time a lady let her small children put their FINGERS in my cat carriers.  I had 3 cats with me, and two were hissing!  I had to ask the child to stop.... several times. 

The bandana is just so I don't have to explain, especially after the fact.  I know this might sound weird, but I don't want to have to SAY that Misa isn't friendly.  That just bothers me. 
My hope is people will see the word "Stop," and do so.   ;D

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »
A room full of dogs and cats... and the majority are visibly upset.  Get a clue.  A dog being allowed to sniff a cat carrier... not good in my book either.  One time a lady let her small children put their FINGERS in my cat carriers.  I had 3 cats with me, and two were hissing!  I had to ask the child to stop.... several times. 

I know, what the heck is WRONG with people?  Dog comes sniffing around the carrier, I move it and try to shield it with my body, dog owner says "oh don't worry we have cats too she loves cats"  I glare and say "well I don't have dogs and my cat doesn't love dogs".  If they get offended or persist I might continue and say "and further more even if she did live with a dog I doubt she'd like strange dogs".

People suck lol