Author Topic: Fruits And Veggies For Dogs  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Re: Fruits And Veggies For Dogs
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 01:32:43 AM »
Love hearing about how well Bandit and Lily are doing on the raw diet.  Makes such a difference doesn't it? Are these premixes you guys are talking about?  Or prepared raw? 

Either way, I always advise feeding a variety of sources in rotation so there isn't any reason why you couldn't continue to feed all three brands, whatever they are.

It is making a difference!

As Lola said, premixes.  I may continue with all three or, when I feel more confident, I may start making my own fruit and veg puree.  Ideally, I want them to have some BARF meals, either with premix or with my own puree, and some that are prey model raw.  If they will eat bones and can tolerate them, I want them to do it.  Crunching on edible bone is so good for keeping the teeth clean.  I remember that from my prior experience.     

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
It is making a difference!

If they will eat bones and can tolerate them, I want them to do it.  Crunching on edible bone is so good for keeping the teeth clean.  I remember that from my prior experience.     

That's so wonderful to hear when someone goes raw--that it's making a difference that you can see!

Since Vlad developed Addison's, I haven't been able to give them bones for their teeth. I doubt it, but if you can't get yours to chew bones, then get some Tropiclean Tooth Gel. It really works on my two:

http://tropiclean.com/product/fresh-breath-clean-teeth-gel-pets/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
I doubt it, but if you can't get yours to chew bones

Our Lacy won't chew bones.  Doesn't matter the width or length.  I think she was a sword swallower in a previous life.  I am stunned at the things she has swallowed whole.  Plus, VERY dangerous.  I give her Bully Sticks from this company onlyhttps://www.bestbullysticks.com

BUT I have to attach vice grips to the bully stick, so she can't swallow one whole. 

I bought turkey necks, from Hare Today, that were almost the size of my arm.  Okay, not that big... but they were HUGE.  Vice grips didn't do so well on those. 

My point.... good luck with yours! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
I meant to ask... out of curiosity.... do you plan to feed your dogs fruits and veggies with every meal? 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »
It seems like there are two schools of thought about whether dogs need fruit and veg at all.

Yeah, I'm no expert but I've tended to lean towards they don't.  THAT SAID, though, it was because I wasn't sure if wolves (I consider dogs and wolves identical when it comes to nutritional needs) eat the stomach contents of their prey or not (I've seen articles that say they do, and some that say they don't).  Though now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense for them to leave the contents . . .  Anyway, I'm totally open to it, and from what Dee and Lola have posted, it sounds like maybe they do.  Maybe, like cats, they get their "grains/fruits/veggies" pre-digested from their prey.  Wolves just have larger prey.  So now I'm rethinking my views and leaning towards they do, esp. if they're pureed (e.g. "pre-digested).

Bottom line:  do whatever works for your pet!   :)  :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
I thought the same as you, Pookie.  I originally started Lacy dog off with no fruits and veggies.  BUT she started eating a lot of grass.  I re-visted the fruits and vegetable theory, and changed my mind. 
However, my original belief is why I don't give her them every day.  Not exactly scientific, but... 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
I meant to ask... out of curiosity.... do you plan to feed your dogs fruits and veggies with every meal?

Probably not.  I don't know how I would get them to eat them with a Frankenprey meal. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 09:38:24 PM »
Probably not.  I don't know how I would get them to eat them with a Frankenprey meal. 

As hors d'oeuvres?  On the side/as a side dish?  Or maybe as a "sauce?"   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 03:57:17 AM »
As hors d'oeuvres?  On the side/as a side dish?  Or maybe as a "sauce?"   :D

You've given me a good idea.  I might be able to mix a puree with their liver and other organs for those meals, and serve that with the raw, meaty bone. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »
That's so wonderful to hear when someone goes raw--that it's making a difference that you can see!

Since Vlad developed Addison's, I haven't been able to give them bones for their teeth. I doubt it, but if you can't get yours to chew bones, then get some Tropiclean Tooth Gel. It really works on my two:

http://tropiclean.com/product/fresh-breath-clean-teeth-gel-pets/

I ordered some of this yesterday.  I'm excited to see if it's as good as the reviews say!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
I ordered some of this yesterday.  I'm excited to see if it's as good as the reviews say!

It really is. If there's any tartar or staining, use it every night until it disappears. People have had better results using it at night after there is no more food or treats, or water drinking. (They've also got a liquid for water bowls, but it's too expensive in my case. Vlad drinks, beard been in, no one drinks again.) People also say that brushing (in the morning after immediately waking) after a couple of weeks while it's still gummy works better to remove anything there.

I just use it every other night now for maintenance. It's not their favorite thing on earth, and every other night has been working for a long time now.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
It really is. If there's any tartar or staining, use it every night until it disappears. People have had better results using it at night after there is no more food or treats, or water drinking. (They've also got a liquid for water bowls, but it's too expensive in my case. Vlad drinks, beard been in, no one drinks again.) People also say that brushing (in the morning after immediately waking) after a couple of weeks while it's still gummy works better to remove anything there.

I just use it every other night now for maintenance. It's not their favorite thing on earth, and every other night has been working for a long time now.

It was out of stock when I ordered before, so I had to wait and try again.  It just arrived today, and I will let you know how it goes. 

Tags: