Author Topic: Vaccines to Help Animals with Reactions to Vaccines  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Vaccines to Help Animals with Reactions to Vaccines
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
For part of my requirements to get into the Vet Tech program, I had to go sit in reception at a vet hospital for four hours.  I was listening to one of the clients, saying that their dog has bad reactions to vaccines, thus they didn't want to vaccinate him again.  The receptionist said that there was a shot they could give, to help ease the reactions to the vaccines.  I just sat there thinking "why give the vaccine in the first place?  What will they think of next to get money out of these people?"

More money into the Science Diet, vaccine pushing vets pocket bangshead  What will they think of next to get more money out of people.

Oh, they also talked another client into feeding their dogs carrots as treats, to help the dog lose weight.  After of course selling them Science Diet portion control food. 

Ugh, if I am going to work at a vets, well I need to find one that "gets it".  I went crazy just in the few hours I was there!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Vaccines to Help Animals with Reactions to Vaccines
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
I feeeeeeeeel for you!   bangshead
But...there may be a reason you may end up among 'em! 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Hmm. Maybe at first I thought it'd be a good idea to "end up among them" to put it in Lola's words, so that you can educate them to better help their clients rather than just be in it for the money... But, they probably wouldn't listen because "money talks"  bangshead

What are the chances of opening your own private practice? Or would that be something to do after you've been a vet for a while in someone elses practice?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:06:16 PM by AK49BWL »
Brandon

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Wow, Mo.    grouphug   

If anybody can persevere through all that muddle, you can  :)  DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Would you remember a thread on catsfur a while back where the Vetetrinary Student vented about all the slack she got, not only from the pet industry "nutrition teacher" but her classmates as well? There were other tech forums I'd stumbled upon while googleing for info several years back and it was sad to read the stories of these brave young people having to swallow the truths because hands are basically "tied"; the gag order because of allllllll the generous funding....

Hopefully when you're ready,  there is an independent veterinarian somewhere near you who had freed themselves.   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
You will have to find something good in the situation.  What positive things can you take away from it?  I can't think of any, at the moment, but I'll work on it.   Bumpurr1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »
I can think of one... Knowing that you know better than they do, and can do better for the animals. Kind of negative/positive really, but true nonetheless, right?
Brandon

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »
For part of my requirements to get into the Vet Tech program, I had to go sit in reception at a vet hospital for four hours.  I was listening to one of the clients, saying that their dog has bad reactions to vaccines, thus they didn't want to vaccinate him again.  The receptionist said that there was a shot they could give, to help ease the reactions to the vaccines.  I just sat there thinking "why give the vaccine in the first place?  What will they think of next to get money out of these people?"

More money into the Science Diet, vaccine pushing vets pocket bangshead  What will they think of next to get more money out of people.

Oh, they also talked another client into feeding their dogs carrots as treats, to help the dog lose weight.  After of course selling them Science Diet portion control food. 

Ugh, if I am going to work at a vets, well I need to find one that "gets it".  I went crazy just in the few hours I was there!

I hear ya Mo. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but alas as I sat in my Vets office for a while waiting for my turn, I changed my mind.  I could not for the life of me prescribe or hand out those "prescription diets".
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: