Author Topic: Rabies booster defends pets with out-of-date vaccination against the disease  (Read 2286 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Posting this on both sides b/c it's relevant for both dogs and cats.

Rabies booster defends pets with out-of-date vaccination against the disease

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150126095321.htm

A new study by Kansas State University veterinary diagnosticians finds that pets with out-of-date rabies vaccinations are very unlikely to develop the fatal disease if given a rabies booster immediately after exposure to the virus.

AND

The findings appear in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association study, "Comparison of anamnestic responses to rabies vaccination in dogs and cats with current and out-of-date vaccination status." It is the first study to present scientific data for animals with out-of-date rabies vaccinations.

AND

The rabies booster is only effective if an animal has been given its initial rabies vaccination, Moore said.

AND

While conducting trials, researches also found that some manufacturers' formulations for their one-year and three-year rabies vaccines were identical.
Modify message
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
At one of the many vet offices I took Pookie's sister to, the vet tech mentioned that if a pet gets out, once they're reunited with their family, one of the first things the vet recommends it to give the rabies vaccine in case the pet was exposed, whether they're up-to-date on the vaccine or not.

1:  Clearly they think there's no harm in over-vaccinating (and this was a holistic vet's office, with literature about over-vaccination) and

2:  What is the point of giving regular "boosters" if you're going to give one after a lost pet comes home?  That tells me you (the vet) don't think the boosters are effective, or you wouldn't give one to a returned pet that's current on their shots.

UGH.

While conducting trials, researches also found that some manufacturers' formulations for their one-year and three-year rabies vaccines were identical.

I'm pretty sure the Merial Purevax, which is only approved for 1 year, is actually effective for 3 years.  It wasn't approved for 3-year use because, if I remember correctly, not enough cats died during the clinical trial.  (I think I read this on Dr. Hovfe's site).

I think (but not sure) some of the vaccines were approved for 1 year use, and they found over time that they were effective for at least 3 years, so the vaccine companies got FDA approval for 3 years.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: