Author Topic: How (and why) I recylce-reuse paper towels  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
How (and why) I recylce-reuse paper towels
« on: August 18, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »
I go through a lot of paper towels. It's terribly un-green of me, but I spend so much time in the kitchen and washing my hands, kitchen towels are wet and dirty and useless in minutes. I go through a lot of them too, trying to trade off. But of course that means more laundry

I really hate throwing away wads of wet paper towels though.

Another heavy drain on paper towels is Mazy cat's puking. I go through a lot of them when cleaning up her messes too.

A few weeks ago I had a brilliant idea and I don't know why I never thought of it before. Considering most of my paper towel use in the kitchen is from working with raw meat, I don't feel comfortable re-using them.  Not for my hands anyway. Or wiping counters (after the first use I mean).

But I thought, why can't I wash them (in the dish pan) rinse them out, let them dry, stack them up downstairs (where Mazy cat usually runs to puke) and use them to clean up cat puke?

(downstairs is just my entryway, littler boxes, the water pressure tank, and the hot water heater, on a cement floor.  The stairs are carpeted. Of course I keep rolls of paper towels down there too.  Now I keep stacks of pre-used paper towels too)

It's working quite well. So now I feel a little better about the paper waste, and it cuts costs too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: How (and why) I recylce-reuse paper towels
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:03 PM »
I can totally relate!  When my supply is down to 10 rolls, I start panicking.  lol 

I have rinsed Viva paper towels to wipe down counters.  Rinsed and then finished wiping down the table or whatever.  Normal "dirt," not raw meat goo or anything really germy.  Viva does hold up pretty good. 
However, I don't like Viva for window washing.  They are too soft.  I need a scrub effect to get dog and cat boogers off the glass.  And Viva leaves lint on my windows.   ;D

Anyway, there are too many situations where I wouldn't want to rinse and re-use.  Therefore, Viva wouldn't be cost effective for me.  Also, I tend to lean towards being germaphobic-ish. 

I rationalize my heavy paper towel usage by not using paper plates, throw away plastic cups, plastic flatware, etc.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 07:11:52 PM »
I use Bounty paper towels. I hate that they are Proctor & Gamble, but I have to pick my battles, you know? It's the only decent paper towel.  Like you I found Viva to be linty .

I don't use any of those other throw away things either.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »
I use Bounty paper towels. I hate that they are Proctor & Gamble, but I have to pick my battles, you know?

Yup!!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 02:10:53 PM »
By the way I wanted to thank you Lola for sharing that you use paper towels a lot too.  It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one.

It's so frustrating to me, seems like my hands are always wet!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »
I really hate to put this in print, but our norm is often a roll of paper towels a day.   :-[  It really depends on how much cleaning/wiping down that I do.  I am working on changing that.  It will take some work though.   ;D
Hubby and I mixed up 20 pounds of raw pet food the other night.  We were proud of ourselves for NOT using an entire roll of paper towels just for that!  Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »
Well you have a lot more pets than I do. Still, it makes me feel better that I'm not alone.

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:43:54 PM »
Have you heard of Bambooee? It was on the Shark Tank television show.

It's a reusable paper towel that you can wash and reuse many times.

http://www.bambooee.com

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »
Have you heard of Bambooee? It was on the Shark Tank television show.

It's a reusable paper towel that you can wash and reuse many times.

http://www.bambooee.com

Those look pretty cool!
My "problem" is the ew factor.  I don't want to wash anything, after certain kinds of clean-ups.  I just want it GONE.  lol

Tags: