Author Topic: I wonder why they don't make this stuff for cats...  (Read 1371 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I wonder why they don't make this stuff for cats...
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
I read about Licks in this blog http://pepperspaws.blogspot.com/2013/04/licks-pet-product-review.html -- and because of it being mentioned as useful if a dog is out, distracted, and doesn't want to drink enough water, then it gets them to drink; so of course it made me think of cats that don't want to drink enough after seeing all of you talk about that issue:

http://www.licksdogdrinks.com/about-licks/ingredients-2/

It seems like it would be a good alternative for getting cats more hydrated if they're ones that don't want to drink enough, so I don't understand why they only make dog versions.  :-\

What is LICKS®?

Made with an exceptional blend of all natural ingredients,  LICKS® is a transformational canine health supplement and treat. Not only does it taste unbelievably delicious to dogs, but it also allows owners to provide their companions with a healthy, easy to administer supplement and treat.

Available in three unique formulas: JOINT+HEART, ZEN™, and ATHLETE™

The effortless, convenient packaging gives pet owners several options to administer to their canine best friend.  The packet can be added to their pooch’s food or water bowl or LICKed directly from the packet either at home or on the go.

With all ingredients sourced with care, the trade secret protected formulas send pups jumping!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I wonder why they don't make this stuff for cats...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »
Well..for one thing, cats fed an appropriate diet don't need extra hydration, they get it from their food, as nature designed them to do. :)

That website doesn't mention what the OTHER ingredients are, only the "therapeutic" ingredients.  Why is that, I wonder? 

But don't worry, if the idea takes off for dog lovers, it won't take them long to make one for cats, too. :(

I know I sound like a chronic skeptic.  But that's because I am.  I am suspicious of just about every "made for pets" supplement out there these days. Pet supplements are big business and big business means lets see how cheaply we can make this product.  Even the stuff Dr Becker sells for pets on her Mercola site always has at least one thing in them that would prevent me from ever using them.

Her digestive enzymes, for example contain cellulose.  When I wrote and asked what they mean by cellulose I was told that it comes from "tree roots". 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: I wonder why they don't make this stuff for cats...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
Well..for one thing, cats fed an appropriate diet don't need extra hydration, they get it from their food, as nature designed them to do. :)

Well I kind of meant for those cats that don't get fed right like y'all do.

That website doesn't mention what the OTHER ingredients are, only the "therapeutic" ingredients.  Why is that, I wonder? 

You're right...if they won't tell me what all it is, I won't give it. I just found the concept interesting. I don't have any problems with my dogs drinking. They'll even drink on command since I have to make them during stops when we're on the road. Flying bowls aren't cool. Took a couple of months of not free-giving water, putting it down every hour & demanding, here in the house to get them to follow the command, but now they will.

Even the stuff Dr Becker sells for pets on her Mercola site always has at least one thing in them that would prevent me from ever using them.

Her digestive enzymes, for example contain cellulose.  When I wrote and asked what they mean by cellulose I was told that it comes from "tree roots". 

I think you know what I think of cellulose. . .period. If there's any kind of cellulose in any products of ours, it had better be labeled "cellulose from vegetables" or it's not going in ANY of us.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: