Author Topic: Truth About Pet Food  (Read 16371 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: Truth About Pet Food
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
I don't look at it, as the mood has to be improved, per say, I look at it, everyone is expressing their opinions, which we are free to do on this site, which is one reason it was created, mol. This ain't catsfur, where expressing your opinion, gets you jail time.

Bump ain't afraid of nothin, but, he picks his battles.  A poster took offense, about what I said about Purina. It was just my opinion, I worded it carefully, and it was not meant to offend. But they took offense. So Bump backed down, cause, if he didn't, he is one bath away, from jail time.  Doesn't mean I think they are right, which they weren't, it just meant, it wasn't worth jail time, then it prevents Bump from helping the kitties that need help, especially, the HCM kitties.

When someone puts up a post, or a site, its just their opinion, its just information. If one can use it, great, if not, throw it away, which is lost on the catsfur queen.  Susan can give wet food 4 stars out of 5, doesn't mean she is right, its just her opinion.  I disagree with it too, I know firsthand, how important wet food is.  Another site might give it 6 stars, another might give it 4 stars. Its just information. Its not like she is the only, authority.  We pay for information on alot of stuff, if we can use it, great, if its not of use, throw it away.

I can put up a site, that Blue Wilderness, is the "only" quality grain free food out there.  For me, it is, but, for others, its not, it depends, on what works for that persons cat. 

:-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

G men, goin down, in San Francisco, on Sunday!  pangif 

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
To answer question, I'll elaborate on:

It wasn't so much the moderation (and I agree with your points above that as well)

which were:
.What Susan is doing TODAY... difficult, draining desperately needed..she's out there doing it alone..have learned enough wisdom over the years to refuse to let perceived insults dictate behavior, so my pique at the moderation of my comments ..will NOT interfere with my support of the awesome work she is doing to provide future cat owners with healthy, non-poisonous foods.
...every right to moderate it ..

Again,  thumbsup1  (editing to reach charact limit)
I believe my submitting ideas supplement to hers were taken as such.
Please see background, to answer your question:

TAPF was one of the first places I ran to share info RE the Vet. Assns.-PFI "relationship" -- had already found all that out the hard way prior to recalls and finding TAPF.

Thought "Wow! This site is great! ALL info accumulated in one great place and here's more for her!"
However info was far from welcome at the time (seems to be a "sore spot" amongst most people, still.)

Was more than enthusiastic in sharing whatever info I hadn't yet seen posted in attempts to share what I had already learned, but even subsequent to the attention given AOL Consumer Guide's Hill's endorsement (thanks to AOLers creating enough stink and a veterinarian making a comment in response to the comments to ST's article concerning it), as far as keeping that momentum rolling, nope. These realities being reiterated only turned people off:

-There's NO  influence more powerful over most pet owners' choices of what to feed than their trusted Veterinarian.

Does not matter how many Dr Hodgkinses testify; Recalls; glutens; explanations of carnivores; 'Off The Juice' testimonies; Toxins; sudden cures of and REASONS for blocking cats, etc.   NOTHING'll convince even my own immediate family of this  -- let alone the FTC, FBI, every mediot humanly reachable, consumer groups, consmr. & animal ESQs, animal loving Senators, Attorneys General, anml. welfare orgs, hell even PITA, you name it.

As long as sooo many trusted vets continue to endorse and "prescribe" it, ALL those things, everybody's work,  are cancelled out 'd. Yes I know more people are aware today, but even now in post mass recall era, they still have to get on the Internet & dig after finding it out the hard way.    And there is NO influence with more power over their associations than the PFI which so generously fund.
-Networks, including all their "faces" under a gag order to NOT badmouth the hand$ feeding them (too);
had one newsman tell me station wouldn't OK  story but HE was printing it all out to take home cause HE had cats!

I've appealed for attention to and help to address these things repeatedly with ideas, suggestions, links, even papers abroad who had already come through.  Figured Dog's Breakfast saga last year had brought the latter fact home to wider range of people, so offered some suggestions of supplemental approaches on TAPF. All I did was get flamed.

So to answer:
was being totally straightforward when I suggested you offer to help Susan.

Actually help, or ideas, weren't welcome. No room.  And getting flamed and preached down to on top of it by people ON the same side was the ultimate kick.  I'd expect that from PFI reps, mediots, Politicians, faux government agencies whose "actual" jobs it is to protect the interests of those in their interests and vice-versa (this is a reality and the Harvard law paper leaves no stone unturned in illustrating this), all the other$.   But not people fighting the very same battle against the very same ingredients along with the very same powers-that-be, which need to be held accountable  -- by somebody independent to it all.  

It took me over two years to finally get the hint.

I tried to share what I knew and had already experienced first-hand on TAPF and was shot down when not totally ignored, participating in the comments sections.
Can't help it, I believe that it will take somebody unbiased with no fingers in the jar to get things exposed but unfortunately one person continuing to  engarde1  bangshead couldn't,  and still cannot convince any such unbiased, independent people of anything.  That darned Power in Numbers thing… one won't cut it. Believe me, I tried.

Questions already answered in the Harvard Paper -- and Dr Hodgkins' Testimony. (I'd sent a Dr Fox' letter to ST as well to reinforce one of her Articles.)   Consider them to be worth a small country's weight in gold and had shared them there in the past.  Would be some ammunition (and then some!) to go into those meetings with. But I got the strong impression that there was no room for such info. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I was given.   And it's OK, too, because opinions are subjective. Yet I've still wondered why that information was not welcome, and perhaps even shared & discussed…. coming from a veterinarian with incredible credentials (as well as being ESQ) and a Harvard Law person. Also can't get more unbiased than that.  (I don't share my name on Net so it's not a need for 'recognition'.)
 So I can relate to how Susan feels in regard to these unreachable people she's trying so hard to penetrate, and people not caring about the truths, the reality.    But that's precisely how I'd been treated.  Shouldn't be, JMHO only,  when we're all on the same side.

At any rate, More power to her and I'm rooting for and wishing her well in this current endeavor.  :) thumbsup1
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:21:31 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »
Bump,
No baths.  There are very FEW things that will get a post a bath.  Although I AM considering time-outs...you need one.   :D
Seriously, some subjects just tend to get more "heated" than others.  Life goes on.   :-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »
(editing to reach charact limit)
I boosted the character limit to something like 6000!  

You can do tandem posts here.  No baths for that either.   ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:09:54 PM by Lola »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:59 PM »
Bumpurrs post clapping1  cat4

Looked at that thread Bump and I viewed that person's "sensitivity" to your post an an insult to all those pet owners posting on consumeraffairs.com whose pets have suffered & died.... what are people smoking these days anyway? Everything's an "insult" to people these days, as though they are the only people enhabiting this planet....in their closed little bubbles.  Just because they continue to trust something, they believe everybody should, regardless of what all the other people go through....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:17:17 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
I boosted the character limit to something like 6000!  

You can do tandem posts here.  No baths for that either.   ;D

:-[ Nano count was telling me I had like 900 words so mistake was confusing 'words' with 'characters'.  Doh1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
I saw those posts as well, Lola.  That prompted me to send the info to my family and a co-worker to warn them that they need to keep their eyes open if they feed Purina, since it looks like there are some serious problems.

I just went to the FDA Blog to post the link and bring this to their attention, but it looks like you have to be on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and other stuff, and I'm not on any of those things.   ARGH!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
Thanks CC!  :-*

Being that, that person, posted first, about the P issue, floored me, that they had that reaction. One of the reasons, I was going to contact P. Not no more. I don't feed it, I gave the information, its up to that person to purrsue it. It wasn't worth a bath. Bump is savin his aces up his sleeve, and high powered contacts, for BB, *if* the need should arise.  ;)

Lola, I may post on other boards, I like being able to help other kitties, especially with crystal and HCM issues,
but, this is my home, and ya all, are my buds, well, unless ya turns off the TV when Dallas is a playin, mol, mol, mol.  :D :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1   TexasFlag bumpgif grouphug kissyou

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Pookie, Bump is on FB, only so he can keep an eye on BB. If ya want him to, write something up, and he will post it. Ya also, gotta tell him, *how* to do it, mol.  :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

Lola, so is we gonna keep tract of our timesouts, like the karma thingy? MOL  :P :D :-* TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Thanks CC!  :-*

Being that, that person, posted first, about the P issue, floored me, that they had that reaction. One of the reasons, I was going to contact P. Not no more. I don't feed it, I gave the information, its up to that person to purrsue it. It wasn't worth a bath. Bump is savin his aces up his sleeve, and high powered contacts, for BB, *if* the need should arise.  ;)

Lola, I may post on other boards, I like being able to help other kitties, especially with crystal and HCM issues,
but, this is my home, and ya all, are my buds, well, unless ya turns off the TV when Dallas is a playin, mol, mol, mol.  :D :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1   TexasFlag bumpgif grouphug kissyou

"P" issue.  lol  Purina isn't a dirty word...technically.   >:D

How sweet that you see PF as your "home."   kissyou  Guess I should let you out of your crate for longer periods of time. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »

Lola, so is we gonna keep tract of our timesouts, like the karma thingy? MOL  

It will be easy...just look for this JailTime in your profile.   ;D

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »
MOL!  funny2

Sorry, forgot I wasn't on catsfur, mol, very surprised, they let both those PURINA posts stand.  :o :D :-*

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
MOL MOL MOL  nahnah

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »
Back to Truth About Pet Food, or start a new thread.
 :D

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »
OOPS!  My post was meant for the thread about pets getting sick on Purina!   :-[ Doh1  I wanted to post that consumer reports link on the FDA Blog to bring it to their attention, but can't since I'm not on FB, etc.  Bump, if you have time, would you mind posting that for me?   Thank you!  grouphug kisses3

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread on TAPF . . .  :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi