Author Topic: Wow Downright Scary, This Takes the Cake, Fake dead Girlfriend Hoax, deadspin  (Read 1413 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
I believe this says more about the people providing information to the mainstream  -- of just how low things have sunk -- than the kid who pulled the hoax. It took an Internet site, as is so often the case, to get to the bottom of things:

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

T
he photographs identified as Kekua—in online tributes and on TV news reports—are pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Jim Rome of ESPN interview from last October FF to 4:30 mark    :o

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/64902446/10-17-notre-dame-lb-manti-te-o-on-the-jim-rome-show.htm

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:13:42 PM by CarnivorousCritter, Reason: add tag »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
This reminds me of a Dr. Phil episode I saw recently that featured women who had fallen in love with a guy online but never met him (he kept making excuses).  It turned out it was the same guy, and that the guy was really a woman.  She apparently enjoys messing with peoples' heads.   >:(

What IS it with people????   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
On the flip side... I have met some online people in person and none were fake or ax murders.   :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org