Author Topic: Contaminated Petfood Case Ends in Fine, Probation  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Contaminated Petfood Case Ends in Fine, Probation
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
I had forgotten about this story...

A Nevada couple who imported more than 800 metric tons of wheat gluten from China which was contaminated deliberately with melamime and cyanuric acid and killed an estimated 1,950 cats and 2,200 dogs in the US were sentenced in Kansas City on February 05, 2010..

Stephen and Sally Miller of Las Vegas and their company, ChemNutra Inc., were fined $35,000. and placed on probation for three years and barred from importing pet food ingredients. Kansas City Star reporter Sara Shepherd writes:

‘U.S. Magistrate Judge John T. Maughmer said he read a stack of letters, inches tall, from affected pet owners.Evidence doesn’t indicate that the Millers knowingly imported something they knew would kill animals, the judge said. But they did not exercise due diligence to ensure their product was safe, he said. “There was much loss, much heartbreak, much damage that was done as a consequence of this case … and you have to bear responsibility,” Maughmer told the couple. In light of a $24 million settlement in a civil lawsuit related to the tainted food, the judge ordered no further restitution for pet owners’.

More than 150 brands of pet food were involved in this biggest-to-date recall in 2007. For details, see my book Not Fit for a Dog: The Truth About Manufactured Cat and Dog Food.

http://www.twobitdog.com/DrFox/Contaminated-Pet-Food
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Contaminated Petfood Case Ends in Fine, Probation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
I can't read things about that horrible period without bursting into tears.  I knew a kitty and watched her struggle to live after being poisoned by contaminated food.  She did not make it, but it was not because her owner and vet did not try.  It was a heartbreaking time. It was that event that caused me to begin really educating myself about cat nutrition.  Up until then all I really knew was that canned food was better than dry.

In addition, I had a CRF girlie at that time.  I was spending a lot of time in the CRF info websites, www.felinecrf.com and www.felinecrf.org

There was post after post after post of people coming in asking why their young cats had died of CRF.   This was before the recall became common knowledge. Absolutely devastating.