Author Topic: Certified Organic?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Certified Organic?
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
Where I work, some of the produce grown is "Certified Organic."  My manager told me, though, that there are still some pesticides that are permitted for use under the Certified Organic label.  One of the things she mentioned, if I remember correctly, is nicotine.  As in, what's in cigarettes.  yuk I'm hoping to find the actual list, but wanted to get a thread started and include this:

http://blogs.usda.gov/2012/01/25/organic-101-allowed-and-prohibited-substances/

Some synthetic substances are listed as exceptions to the basic rule and are allowed for use in organic agriculture.  For instance, pheromones have long been used as an effective, non-toxic way to “confuse” insects that may otherwise infest organic crops, especially fruit. Likewise, vaccines for animals are important disease prevention tools against many infectious diseases, especially since antibiotic therapy is prohibited in organic livestock.

AHA!  I think I may have found it:  http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9874504b6f1025eb0e6b67cadf9d3b40&rgn=div6&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7&idno=7

While it's not a HUGE list, it's a bit long to post here, so feel free to check out the link.  Here's a sample:

§205.601   Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production.
In accordance with restrictions specified in this section, the following synthetic substances may be used in organic crop production: Provided, That, use of such substances do not contribute to contamination of crops, soil, or water. Substances allowed by this section, except disinfectants and sanitizers in paragraph (a) and those substances in paragraphs (c), (j), (k), and (l) of this section, may only be used when the provisions set forth in §205.206(a) through (d) prove insufficient to prevent or control the target pest.

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

(2) Chlorine materials—For pre-harvest use, residual chlorine levels in the water in direct crop contact or as water from cleaning irrigation systems applied to soil must not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act, except that chlorine products may be used in edible sprout production according to EPA label directions.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(3) Copper sulfate—for use as an algicide in aquatic rice systems, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to those which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(4) Hydrogen peroxide.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Certified Organic?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
This is interesting!  I'd certainly rather eat lettuce treated with hydrogen peroxide than Round up or some other disgusting Monsanto product.

Actually nicotine is under the "Prohibited" list.

§205.602   Nonsynthetic substances prohibited for use in organic crop production.

The following nonsynthetic substances may not be used in organic crop production:

(a) Ash from manure burning.

(b) Arsenic.

(c) Calcium chloride, brine process is natural and prohibited for use except as a foliar spray to treat a physiological disorder associated with calcium uptake.

(d) Lead salts.

(e) Potassium chloride—unless derived from a mined source and applied in a manner that minimizes chloride accumulation in the soil.

(f) Sodium fluoaluminate (mined).

(g) Sodium nitrate—unless use is restricted to no more than 20% of the crop's total nitrogen requirement; use in spirulina production is unrestricted until October 21, 2005.

(h) Strychnine.

(i) Tobacco dust (nicotine sulfate).

(j)-(z) [Reserved]

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
You beat me to it!   :)  I was coming back online to make that correction (I didn't think about it before) but you're ahead of me.  Thanks for clarifying that!

I'm not sure I'm a fan of alcohols and ethanols being used, though.  I don't know why . . . it just kind of creeps me out.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 10:07:55 PM »
But alcohol just evaporates?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:42:48 PM »
But alcohol just evaporates?

I suppose . . . though in people I think it can also be absorbed through the skin.  I can't explain, it just creeps me out.  I don't know why.   :-\

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
I don't think they mean alcohol as in rubbing alcohol. I think they mean alcoholic beverages kind of alcohol. Like there's an old-age spray that my daddy used to make out of beer to keep from using poisons on the food we ate.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: