Author Topic: Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Urinary SO Morsels in Gravy Canned Cat Food  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Description:
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Urinary SO Morsels in Gravy Canned Cat Food is recommended for cats with the following conditions: Cats with or at risk of developing feline lower urinary tract disease, Dissolution of pure struvite uroliths, To help prevent struvite urolithiasis, To help prevent calcium oxalate urolithiasis, To help prevent calcium phosphate (brushite) urolithiasis.  noseisgrowing

Cats often suffer from lower urinary tract disorders that affect the ureter, the bladder or the urethra. One of the most important causes is the development of urinary tract stones, which typically consist of struvite (composed of magnesium, ammonium, and phosphate) or calcium oxalate (composed or calcium and oxalate).

**A prescription is required for this product.

Ingredients:
Water, chicken by-products, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, chicken skin, corn starch, fish oil, Trace Minerals [calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate], natural flavors, powdered cellulose, Vitamins [choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], guar gum, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, caramel color, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), salt, tomato lycopene extract.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I know, it's awful isn't it.  A prescription food with sawdust in it.

I do have a friend whose cat eats the Royal Canin SO, mostly the canned.  But like me with my FLUTD kitty and the c/d, the SO is saving her boy's life. He blocked once and was put on the prescription diet.  But then he had trouble again, because, as it turns out, she was feeding him other foods besides the prescription foods. He had to have surgery to remove oxalate stones, and the vet warned that she had to stop feeding him other foods.  The vet who did the surgery did it at no charge, because at the time she was destitute and she was going to have to euthanize him. A vet with a heart.

Since then (it's been about 3 years) she has kept him on the SO only, and he has had no more blockages, or crystals or stones or trouble peeing of any kind.

I don't know why these foods have to be filled with such horrible junk.  But for some of us, it really is a choice between the lesser of two evils. :(

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

**A prescription is required for this product.

Ingredients:
Water, chicken by-products, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, chicken skin, corn starch, fish oil, Trace Minerals [calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate], natural flavors, powdered cellulose, Vitamins [choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], guar gum, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, caramel color, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), salt, tomato lycopene extract.

OK since the non-bolded stuff is found in most other bargain foods, it's pretty obvious that the sawdust of pine tree, pork junk and salt are supposed to be Medicine, right?

So pork is apparently some sort of cat medicine, too??? Beings a cat wouldn't eat pork otherwise?

Isn't that the reason there is usually no pork in regular cat foods?

Looking at all those "rx" foods, salt, pine tree and pork waste are usually the common factors, so this must be the case  :o

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
OK since the non-bolded stuff is found in most other bargain foods, it's pretty obvious that the sawdust of pine tree, pork junk and salt are supposed to be Medicine, right?

So pork is apparently some sort of cat medicine, too??? Beings a cat wouldn't eat pork otherwise?

Isn't that the reason there is usually no pork in regular cat foods?

Looking at all those "rx" foods, salt, pine tree and pork waste are usually the common factors, so this must be the case  :o

Does 'Ol Roy come in a can?  It probably has similar ingredients....for a 1/4 of the price.

Our male has been blockage free for 3 years.  The change...all wet.  Grain free foods.  No "medicine" foods.  He can eat from the garbage can, if he wants medicine food.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:52:36 PM by Lola »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
We were typing  at the same time, MC.    :)

They use the cheapest ingredients they can because it will succeed in making the cat drink more.

Lola, I had posted the ingredients before somewhere else (ol' Roy is just for dogs I believe) and the ol roy had more meat and veggies than what my dog was "prescribed". My dog wouldn't have had to drink as much.

The key is to make the animal drink more.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:54:38 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter

Lola, I had posted the ingredients before (ol' Roy is just for dogs I believe) and the ol roy had more meat and veggies than what my dog was "prescribed". My dog wouldn't have had to drink as much.

I know Ol Roy is a dog food...just being a smart asp. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
But you guys.  I HAVE tried my cat on a high quality grain free canned diet.  Her trouble always comes back, unless I keep her on the c/d.  I hate it too.  And she is a terrible drinker, even on the c/d kibble, I know she doesn't drink enough, that is why I keep trying to switch her back over to things like the Merrick BG.  But the trouble always comes back.  Me daily, fretting over my FLUTD kitty eating such horrible food---->bangshead

I do want to add that there is no indication in her annual blood work that she is suffering from dehydration, her creatinine is always dead center normal and her urine is not concentrated.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
MC,  you are probably in the same boat I am, no Holistic veterinarians nearby to consult with.  
They would know of a species-appropriate diet to fix everything.

I can't have pets anymore.  Even Buddy-Boo is my adopted son, he lives with my sister.  My sister wanted me to take his brother home (because he likes me) but understands why I can't.  She offered, but didn't push it knowing why.
She has a choice of veterinarians where she lives; one does not even pretend to know about foods, and the other is Holistic. That's why she can have multiple cats & dogs and keep taking in strays, and we can't.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
MC, you're doing the best you can.  That's all your fur-kid can ask.   grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
MC,
I am NEVER "ripping" you personally.  I just have "issues" with prescription foods.  The ingredients vs the price...just blows my mind. 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
MC, you're doing the best you can.  That's all your fur-kid can ask.   grouphug grouphug

Ditto!! grouphug heartbeatgif

Please know MC that I am mad at the people who make and sell this food -- not the vulnerable pet owners who are caught in the middle. It is because of what WE and our pets go through that I am so outspoken about this.

They have the resources AND the $$$ to make species-appropriate foods and simply refuse because they are making too much profit off of what would end up in landfills. I hope you saw Dr. Hodgkins' statement. That says it all and might explain better why I feel the way I do (on top of personal experience.)  :)

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Middle Child,

Because there is a HUGE difference between you and people who are not open to any information, I am going to PM the contact info for this lady who has been through it all. There is no reason any pet owner should have to worry about bad ingredients and something worse popping up when they are following trusted advice (that isn't free) IMO.

I hope you might drop her a line and here is her blog to comment on if you wish:   http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/about/

http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Ingredients:
Water, chicken by-products, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, chicken skin, corn starch, fish oil, Trace Minerals [calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate], natural flavors, powdered cellulose, Vitamins [choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], guar gum, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, caramel color, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), salt, tomato lycopene extract

One or more of the ingredients in this must make the Ph of the bladder the proper PH, so which one is it???
If MC's cat does not drink alot of water, then it must be something, other than salt to make the cat drink more?? :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Ingredients:
Water, chicken by-products, pork by-products, chicken, corn flour, chicken skin, corn starch, fish oil, Trace Minerals [calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate], natural flavors, powdered cellulose, Vitamins [choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], guar gum, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, caramel color, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), salt, tomato lycopene extract

One or more of the ingredients in this must make the Ph of the bladder the proper PH, so which one is it???
If MC's cat does not drink alot of water, then it must be something, other than salt to make the cat drink more?? :-\

Pork is salty.  That would make a cat drink more water... probably.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Pork is salty.  That would make a cat drink more water... probably.
True, but MC's cat does  not drink alot of water and her cat is fine on this food so it has to do with the PH?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets