Author Topic: Baseball Anyone?  (Read 6950 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Baseball Anyone?
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
Anyone out there not hate the Yankees? LOL

Jetes is 4 hits away from 3,000 -- first ever lifetime Yankee to accomplish the feat thumbsup1

Even some of the most diehard Spankees haters still like Jeter.

Any Cubbies & Braves fans out there?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Baseball Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
Mets fan here.  But just like with the Cowboys, I don't follow it avidly like I used to do.  I used to listen to the games on the radio, back in the '80s. Those were fun years for the Mets. :).

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »
I haven't followed baseball in years, but if I did follow it today...after the home team, I'd be a Cubbies fan.  I ADORE Mark Grace.  I "followed" him from the Cubs to the Diamondbacks.  IMHO, he was always a team player, great sense of humor, and VERY easy on the eyes. I got his autograph on an "official" Diamondbacks jersey.  And I didn't drool all over him, or embarrass myself when doing so.  

For 16 seasons, Mark Grace brought enthusiasm, humor and amazing talent to the game of baseball. As a Chicago Cub, Mark led his team on the field and in the hearts of its fans from his rookie season in 1988 through the end of the 2000 season. His thirteen seasons playing for the Cubs established him as one of the game's "good guys" with a throwback style of getting his uniform dirty and having fun on and off the field. He led the major leagues in hits during the decade of the 1990s. With the Arizona Diamondbacks, Mark won a World Series ring in 2001 and played three season before retiring after the 2003 season. He remains active in baseball today, sharing his knowledge of the game as a TV broadcaster for Diamondbacks' telecasts.

Fan website.  Not official website.
http://www.markgrace.com/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:05:20 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
  I used to listen to the games on the radio, back in the '80s. Those were fun years for the Mets. :).

Bob Murphy & Gary Thorne  thumbsup1 thumbsup1  You had it made! And how about Kiner's Korner?  He must have been something else on Radio before moving to TV. funny2

Radio announcers like we had got me spoiled to the point where I still won't watch a game on TV.

Remember Neil Allen? 

The Phillies were my team and it was fun times at work because my best bud in there = Mets fan, originally from Flushing, too thumbsup1.
The Schmidt vs. Strawberry battles were particularly fun.   ;D  We took it personally when they had bad games LOL.

I haven't followed baseball in years, but if I did follow it today...after the home team, I'd be a Cubbies fan.

But everybody likes the Cubbies!!!  ;D Nice to have a favorite player-connection like that.

And you've got the one and only Roy Hobbles ( buddyboo1 10/15/88) as the manager!!

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »

But everybody likes the Cubbies!!!  ;D Nice to have a favorite player-connection like that.

I became a Cubbies fan, when my son fell in love with baseball.  We could ALWAYS catch a Cubs game on TV.  His favorite player, at the time, was Sammy Sosa.  I took son to a game.  Got him within a few feet of Sammy Sosa...and son was so nervous being that close, he asked to go back to his seat!   

One more son/baseball story...
Son had a little league coach that had BEAUTIFUL blue eyes.  I mentioned (to hubby) that the coach had Cal Ripken eyes.  A few days later, son shared that info with the coach.  I could have DIED. 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
 :) :) :)

Remember when Harry Caray called him Sammy Sofa  funny2  That's cute, Sammy probably looked like Thor in person to your son.  :o

Too cool! Keep the stories coming!  Funny you mention Cal,  Cal's remains the only jersey I've ever bought. He saved Baseball in '95.  I used to be able to get WBAL AM pretty good and must have a dozen tapes with Jon Miller's play-by-play and every other word (seemingly) is "Cal" on them LOL. All the other players were called by their last names  ;D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
:) :) :)

Remember when Harry Caray called him Sammy Sofa  funny2  That's cute, Sammy probably looked like Thor in person to your son.  :o

Too cool! Keep the stories coming!  Funny you mention Cal,  Cal's remains the only jersey I've ever bought. He saved Baseball in '95.  I used to be able to get WBAL AM pretty good and must have a dozen tapes with Jon Miller's play-by-play and every other word (seemingly) is "Cal" on them LOL. All the other players were called by their last names  ;D

Had to look up who Thor is. 
Harry Caray was a RIOT!  Another reason to be a Cubs fan.  
Cal Ripken... AWESOME in every way.  IMHO  I cried when he retired.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:20:57 PM by Lola »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
 My nickname for him was always "Celestial Being" LOL.    Back in the '90s. one of the major mags did a cover story on Angels "In Search of Angels" or something like that.  I wrote the author of the piece a sincere letter, "tipping" him to go to Baltimore to "investigate" the person playing Short, listing some "coincidences" surrounding him LOL. (Have to admit, some were weird!)

Got a nice letter back thanking me, telling me the author was on assignment (or something to that effect) and they would forward my "Tip".  

I wrote a poem relating him to George Bailey and MLB being Mr. Potter  - have to find it. Wish I could remember it all. he was "Cal-rence"  (I say he was an Angel in relation to baseball of course.) 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:42:15 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Texas Rangers!!  Gee, are ya surprised, mol. love1 multistars woohoogif happydance1 bumpgif

Lola, where is my Texas flag???   funny2 :P :D Bumpurr1 nahnah bumpgif

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »
Nolan Ryan = GREATEST Pitcher of all time, IMO. SO glad to see him as the Owner-Pres and have a soft-spot for the Rangers. Had the privilege to see him when he pitched for Houston & Mike Schmidt was all-or-nothing against him.  buddyboo1 whatimiss   

Have the audio taped from the last half innings of the radio play-by play of his last 2 no-nos and still get goosebumps.  chicagocubslol

Hey MiddleChild, Mr. Bob Murphy was the one who "cut in" from the Mets' broadcast to introduce those subsequent thrilling moments to those in this area. He's on my tape too.  :)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »
My father got us kids started on football, when we were little, but he was a big baseball fan. Used to tell me, there is more stratagy, in baseball, than in football.   :-* Bumpurr1 bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »

Lola, where is my Texas flag??? 

I don't have a legal Texas smilie to use.   :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
Bob Murphy & Gary Thorne  thumbsup1 thumbsup1  You had it made! And how about Kiner's Korner?  He must have been something else on Radio before moving to TV. funny2

Yes, Bob Murphy and Gary Thorne.  I LOVED listening to them.  They actually spoiled me for ever watching Baseball on TV.  But when I moved, I could no longer get the games on the radio, my life changed a lot, and the addiction faded. Now my life is back very much like it was in the 80s (except I am almost 30 years older haha) but Murphy and Thorne are not there and I don't get Mets baseball on the radio where I live anyway.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
Yes, Bob Murphy and Gary Thorne.  I LOVED listening to them.  They actually spoiled me for ever watching Baseball on TV.  But when I moved, I could no longer get the games on the radio, my life changed a lot, and the addiction faded. Now my life is back very much like it was in the 80s (except I am almost 30 years older haha) but Murphy and Thorne are not there and I don't get Mets baseball on the radio where I live anyway.

You probably can get radio on your computer.

Tags: