Author Topic: Google Maps Has Been Tracking Your Every Move, And There’s A Website To Prove It  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Saw this on PF's Twitter feed.  Silly7

Remember that scene in Minority Report, where Tom Cruise is on the run from the law, but is unable to avoid detection because everywhere he goes there are constant retina scans feeding his location back to a central database? That’s tomorrow. Today, Google is tracking wherever your smartphone goes, and putting a neat red dot on a map to mark the occasion.

You can find that map here. All you need to do is log in with the same account you use on your phone, and the record of everywhere you’ve been for the last day to month will erupt across your screen like chicken pox.

Read more at http://junkee.com/google-maps-has-been-tracking-your-every-move-and-theres-a-website-to-prove-it/39639#z11co63xiG3gXLUM.99
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
LOL I wondered how long it would take people's phones to publicly give out more than they wanted. I guess Google is just another one of the hackers that I worried about if getting a "smart" phone.

Even if my "dumb" phone quits on me, and I have to get one of the things, I'll have the GPS system cut off--along with anything like Siri etc., because you give them permission, then, to collect even more info on you. Won't find any apps on mine either. Even if I have to have that kind of phone b/c it's the only thing that exists, it won't do anything except make and accept phone calls since I know how to cut all that BS off.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I knew that about certain cell phones a couple years ago.  My phone isn't smart.  It's a tracfone purchased in 2007.  funny2

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I knew that about certain cell phones a couple years ago.  My phone isn't smart.  It's a tracfone purchased in 2007.  funny2

LMAO! I've had my "dumb" phone since 2003 when my son dropped and broke my old "dumb" phone. "Dumb phones" are nice terms for what the kids call old flip-phones by LG, etc. 

My sons still don't understand that it's not "big brother" that bothers me as much as it is the hackers that teach "big brother" but haven't been caught and forced into slavery by "big brother" yet. When given a choice between slavery and jail, most hackers choose the slavery route.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Omg, I just got done laughing so hard after looking at my 30 day history! Good luck figuring out where I'll be half the time!!  funny2 funny2 :D
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Good luck figuring out where I'll be half the time!!

LMAO, you've been near me part of the time.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
There has been cell phone tracking going on (to an extent) since day one.  I learned about it, when  I witnessed a car accident.  Used my cell phone (before flip phone days and GPS too) to call 911.  911 knew my location.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
i do, what is in my power, to not be tracked.  But we are tracked by just about everyone.  As long as we use electronics, the internet, store issued discount cards, email, etc... We are going to be tracked. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I have a Smart phone.  I was very surprised to get this result:
You have no location history from July 3, 2014 to August 1, 2014

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Omg, I just got done laughing so hard after looking at my 30 day history! Good luck figuring out where I'll be half the time!!  funny2 funny2 :D

LOL Brandon!

I have a Smart phone.  I was very surprised to get this result:

Does that mean you've untracked yourself?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
There has been cell phone tracking going on (to an extent) since day one.  I learned about it, when  I witnessed a car accident.  Used my cell phone (before flip phone days and GPS too) to call 911.  911 knew my location.

That's an example of my not minding Big Brother knowing where I am and what I'm doing. I wouldn't ever have a problem handing my phone over to a cop, but I don't want the rest of the world knowing what I'm doing by being able to hack it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Brandon could stop and visit us all!  ;) 

MC,
I am always ticking the little "NO, I do not want to be tracked" box.  And declining "location requests."  But.. using the Internet, on my phone, pretty much places me in a general area.  That is why I was surprised there was no tracking info. 

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
What phone do you have? I have an Android phone, so by default everything is hooked into Google lol. Most of those points on my map, I wasn't even using the phone - it just picked random times to send an update. . Checked my mom's iPhone, and nothing for her history even tho she does use Google Maps quite a bit. Same with my dad's, but he makes a point of logging into nothing...

Looked it up tho, and I can turn that tracking off.. Or just straight up disable the GPS receiver but meh.. I'm really not worried about it. If someone wants me, they will find me and there's nothing I can do about it anyway lol
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
What phone do you have? I

Whenever I have to bite the bullet I want one of these NOKIA LUMIA 1020's http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1020/ just for the camera. I don't care what OS it's on. I want that camera. A neighbor of mine has one and the photos from it are amazing. That Cortana thing and all the GPS will be turned  off though. I don't care to be giving people my location with that geotagging carp if I post any of the photos.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Maps Part II--Your Cats...Re: Google Maps Has Been Tracking Your Every Move
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
The Cats of the World, Mapped

http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/here-is-a-map-of-1-million-cats/375147/

He used the metadata (geotags) in posted photos  to make that map.

Tags: