Author Topic: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?  (Read 29708 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2018, 07:17:28 PM »
Wow that is a lot of pooping... stinky or not.  Too much skin maybe.   :-\
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
That's what I thought at first.  But when I cut back on the fat she immediately become constipated again.  She is only getting 0.1 (one tenth of an ounce) of skin a day.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
Oh that's right... I remember you mentioning that. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »
Yesterday morning Jennie had a normal poop, no odor.  I celebrated too soon as last night she had a stinker. And then another poop today, not as bad.  What the heck is making her poop so much?

Only other thing I can come up with, and this may be a long shot:  maybe she's shedding (longer days) and the ingested fur from grooming is contributing to the extra poopage?   :-\
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2018, 04:47:43 AM »
Thanks Pookie. That's a thought. She started shedding a couple weeks ago.  Hmmmm.  Queen Eva started in early February.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Any improvements?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:27 PM »
Less odor.  Still too much poop. She had pork raw tonight.  She really loves it. She......aroos, after eating it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 09:47:23 PM »
She had pork raw tonight.  She really loves it. She......aroos, after eating it.

???  If you can get that on video, I'd love to hear it.  I can't imagine what that sounds like, other than a cartoon dog's howl.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2018, 12:22:04 AM »
Happy to hear the pork is going over good, for the cats AND you!

I second the video. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2018, 04:47:49 AM »
Next time she has the pork I'll shoot a video. Jennie is the only one getting raw pork.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Jennie had raw pork last night but she didn't yodel or aroo after.  Maybe because I was sitting right on the floor with the camera pointed at her.  I think I am starting to see improvement.  It has been 2 weeks since she has had any turkey, but is still having turkey skin. 0.1 oz a day. I wil be cutting up chicken skin for her this weekend.

The last poop with odor was on 3/13.  And it was not really bad, just noticeable (compared to Queen Eva's for example)

She still seems to be pooping twice in less than 24 hours, though.  Not every day. She'll have a poop, skip a couple days, then poop twice the next time, for instance.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »
She still seems to be pooping twice in less than 24 hours, though.  Not every day. She'll have a poop, skip a couple days, then poop twice the next time, for instance.

That actually kind of makes sense, though.  If she skips a day, then she would have more to poop out when she finally does go.

I'm glad the smelly-poop situation seems to be improving!  *knock on wood*

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »
That actually kind of makes sense, though.  If she skips a day, then she would have more to poop out when she finally does go.

I'm glad the smelly-poop situation seems to be improving!  *knock on wood*

Well, but raw fed cats usually have very little poop.  Poop every two or three days is more common. Every cat is individual of course. 

Mazy cat for instance poops every 36 hours almost without fail.  The only variation to that is when she goes 10 or more days between vomits.  Then fur seems to build up in there and she pukes for two or three days over the next four before finally having an extra poop, huge (comparatively) fur filled.

Queen Eva is an every 2-3 dayer, with a two days in a row every now and then. Jennie used to be similar to that.  I'm hoping she's heading back toward that.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
Things seem to be a little better, but Jennie is still having the occasional smelly poop, and they still seem to be bigger than one would expect.  Someone (Pookie?) suggested the larger poops may be due to shedding season, and I think that may be part of it.  I haven't been picking them apart lately to see how much fur is being passed, so maybe I should start doing that again.

Jennie is eating a lot of chicken now, since taking her off all the turkey and of course I worry about THAT now.  I've recently added Rad Cat lamb to her rotation, one meal a week. Only two weeks into that.

So she is getting chicken (both breast and thigh, and her wing on Sunday) beef, pork and now lamb. Rad Cat  venison one meal a week (Sunday night bedtime meal) as well.

I do wonder if the odor is originating from her anal glands. She always has trouble in that area...maybe she needs them expressed again.  I keep a close eye on them, and she hasn't been scooting but......

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
After much trial and error over the last few months, I have come to the psotive determination that the extra skin is the problem, Jennie, for whatever reason, is now unable to metablize that extra fat.

With the help of the IBD group I did try, with supplementation, to help her cope with the extra skin.  The suggestion was to add lipase (and/or ox bile).  I tried the lipase first. It gave her diarrhea, I am no longer using it.

I wasn't planning to update her progress until a full two weeks after the latest change but... I have stopped adding the extra fat entirely. 9 days since that change. She hasn't had a foul poop since. Not sure which way I will go if she should need help with constipation again, going forward. Neither SEB or psyllium work for her. I have increased her EYL by an extra half capsule a day. So she is getting 1/2 capsule at breakfast, 1/4 at supper and 1/4 at bedtime. Her lunch meal which is a small token meal, does not have any EYL.

Egg yolk lecithin, being a fat emulsifier, I figured it might help her cope, at least wiht the fat already in the meat.

So far I havne't seen evidence of constipation or hard dry stool..in fact the other evening she actually let me watch her poop, which she NEVER does.  There was no straining, and the poop was a classic raw fed cat poop with no odor.

I never did put her back on turkey, but I may, in time.  I am adding more Rad Cat to her diet for a little variety, since she is getting so much chicken now.

If she does start to have trouble with constipation, I may go to the coconut oil.  the IBD group recommends MCT (medium chain triglycerides) claiming that the old study stating they are bad for cats was based on a flaw in the trials.

The other alternative is pumpkin, that's what she used to have years ago, before I went to raw, and, after raw, before I learned about adding skin for extra fat.

Tags: nutriscan