Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Thanksgiving
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:39:18 AM »
What are your plans... if any?

Cooking for immediate family?
Cooking for the entire neighborhood?
Working?
Sleeping in?

With my work schedule, I am preparing a cold lunch... rather than a dinner.  That will allow me to cook and/or bake in advance.   I'll prepare the turkey on Wednesday.  I will make a bunch of different side salads.  I bought pies.  The only thing warm will be the gravy and mashed potatoes.   Silly7

As much as my job can make holidays a nightmare... I'm thankful I am employed.  (Said 10 times.)   ;D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
My mom's planning on cooking (wait, that's me doing it--at her house because, you know, she's doing it) for family that isn't even here. My son and his wife will be working, because, for her, the extra money is too much of a lure. For him, because management has to (especially since someone else just quit because they couldn't handle the stress, so he has to go in earlier than his usual 3:00 p.m.). Hubs and I will take him something after we finish eating if I don't manage to get it finished before 12:00, and I've yet to see mom get it finished before then, so I'm not expecting me to be able to do it either.

I won't have to take it to his wife because she'll be off by 4:00 and can stop by their house then, and there's a big spread for all of them in the back for when they take breaks and lunch, so it won't be a case of her starving. Just wanting home cooking.

We'll take him something because he won't be able to get the home cooking if it's not taken to him.

I think you already get the idea that there's no way in 7734 that I'd cook this gargantuan amount she's planning (again) if it weren't for her. Point--5 desserts just because one likes one thing but doesn't like another is just plain silly.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »
Does your son and DIL work at the same place... if that isn't a nosey question.  That is nice that you will take your son home cooked food.  I bet he really appreciates it!!! 
My mother used to always cook the Thanksgiving meal.  As it got harder for her, we would all bring a dish.  I'm not sure when it got moved to my house.  lol 
The meal will probably going fairly well.  Family get togethers aren't exactly as joyful and fun as they were years ago.  But... it is what it is.   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
No. They're not allowed to because he's management. Not even different shifts in the same store.

If I'm going to have to do it all, then I wish it were at my house, but mom can't manage any of the 3 entrances of my house anymore--and then I could dial it down a bit. Because, well, 5 desserts for 6 adults and 2 children who won't all be eating at the same time = crazy to me.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
Who gets all the left overs?  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
They're generally left there and end up at son's house. Hubs and I don't like eating leftovers for more than a couple of meals. Me--maybe one meal since I already spent so much time cooking it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
These days I just like to stay home in my PJs on holidays but I did tell my sister I would come up for the family walk at noon, but I am not staying for dinner.

It's not just because I would then have a very long drive at night, but it makes a good excuse.  I've never enjoyed sit down dinners with large amounts of people, even family.  I can't stand it and the older I get the more intolerant I find it.

Now that there are no young children to help and no Mom sitting by my side feeling the same as me, I just am not going to do it any more.

So I'm going up for the walk, then coming home and cooking my turkey breast (with all the dinner trimmings) for me and the girls.  They love it too.

I usually buy a couple of frozen pies too.  Then I have three days after to recover, have plenty of left overs, and have the bones for my next soup.  Win all around.

bananamiddlechild

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
This would work great for the 2 of us. Except, one pie. I'm glad I've finally found a frozen, gluten-free crust that works great though. I just have to make sure to cover the edges in foil or a pie collar. The boys just finished lunch, so I'm waiting for them to need to go out and then going to Kitchen collections for one of those metal collars. Couldn't find one anywhere in town yesterday.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
I know I'm a little late, but... did everyone survive?  ;)

Tags: