Author Topic: Pet Emergency Preparedness List  (Read 1375 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Pet Emergency Preparedness List
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:19:38 AM »
I just saw a blog post with a GREAT emergency preparedness checklist for your pets:

http://ohmydogblog.com/2013/07/emergency-preparedness-for-pets/#comment-29903

Within the checklist is a first-aid-list-.pdf link:

http://ohmydogblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Emergency-Preparedness-for-Pets.pdf  And here I thought I had everything covered in OUR pet-first-aid kit that I put together!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Pet Emergency Preparedness List
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »
Definitely a HANDY list! 

Anyway, for anyone else who wants to prepare for leaving WITH their animals instead of following the FEMA guidelines of leaving them with food and water, I put together a little emergency preparedness for pets checklist that I’m using in my preparations.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
I-travel-to-shows,like-6-7-hrs-one-way,and-ya-just-never-know,what-you-might-encounter.So-show-people-tend-to-be-more-prepared.

I-was-smack-dab-in-the-middle-of-Sandy,at-a-show.

Some-things-to-add-to-that-list.

Get-your-pet-chipped,the-ones-that-got-their-animals-back,were-the-chipped-ones.

The-collor-or-harness-should-include-your-name/number,vets-name/number,chip-id-tag,they-call-that-number,the-information-is-traced-to-you.The-rabies-tag.It-shows-the-pet-has-been-vacinated-for-rabies,and-in-case.....they-don't-have-to-wonder.The-number-on-the-rabies-tag,if-called,traces-to-your-vet.

Mine-are-chipped,and-they-travel-with-their-collors-and-tags,even-if-just-going-to-the-vet.

Keep-your-carriers-handy,you-don't-want-to-have-to-waste-time-looking-for-them,or-digging-them-out.

Keep-the-carriers-prepared,they-should-have-soft-towels-in-them,and-some-of-their-toys,some-put-wee-wee-pads-under-the-towels,just-in-case.

Thee-very-best-way-to-travel-with-a-litter-box.....get-one-of-those-clear-storage-boxes,with-the-snap-on-lid,they-are-deep-and-ballpark,about-the-dimentions,of-a-cake-pan,fill-deep-with-litter,put-the-top-on,put-a-heavy-duty-rubber-band-around-it,instant-easy-litter-box-to-travel-with.

I-always-take-extra-food-with-me,for-a-few-days,just-in-case.

Put-the-bag-of-food,in-a-couple-of-those-plastic-grocery-bags,its-easy-to-carry-and-will-keep-it-dry,tie-up-the-plastic-bag.

To-travel-with-water,go-to-the-store-and-get-a-few-gallons-of-the-store-brand-water,in-the-plastic-jugs.I-take-a-jug-with-me,in-a-few-of-the-plastic-bags-tied-up,I-also-keep-a-few-water-jugs-on-hand,the-expiration-date-is-like-for-years.

If-you-feed-wet,if-the-tops-are-not-the-pull-off-ones,keep-a-can-opener-with-their-food,so-you-don't-have-to-go-looking-for-it.

I-keep-all-their-collors-in-a-zip-lock-bag,in-their-show-box,so-they-are-all-together,and-I-don't-have-to-hunt-for-them.

I-keep-all-their-records,in-folders,in-my-show-bag,each-cat-has-their-own-seperate-folder,and-i-just-grab-the-show-bag,make-sure,their-shots-are-up-to-date-and-the-rabies-certificate-is-in-there,go-look-and-do-this,right-now.

Keep-seperate-plastic-bowls,for-food-and-water,by-their-food,so-you-can-grab-them-easily,and-not-hunt-for-them.

Some-travel-with-a-show-shelter.You-can-put-them-in-that,in-the-car,and-that-way-they-are-not-loose-in-the-car.So-you-can-take-them-out-to-feed-them-or-use-the-kitty-box.I-don't-have-one,mine-do-not-come-out-of-their-carriers,until-we-get-to-the-show-or-the-hotel.

One-very-very-important-thing-people-forget.......

You-have-to-teach-them-to-load.

If-your-kitty-already-does-not-load,its-going-to-be-even-worse,when-your-stressed.

Saved-the-kittens-lifes,first-hotel,they-were-only-7-months-old,fire-alarm-went-off,they-ran-under-the-bed.Moment-of-panic,then-I-remembered,they-were-taught-to-load.

I-set-the-carrier-on-the-floor,by-the-bed,opened-the-door,in-the-carrier-they-ran,because.....they-yielded-to-their-training,even-tho-they-were-scared.

Be-glad-to-start-a-post,on-how-to-train-them-to-load,if-anyone-is-interested. cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »
Thank you! We're RVers so I'm always rather panicked with my "what if" lists. You might have cats, but some of this can be used for dogs too.

I just count myself lucky that now I've very recently found a Dehydrated raw food, that Barkly will eat, to carry on trips with us. Thanks to that, we've now been able to go completely raw because I don't have to keep them eating kibble every day for emergency situations. Ever let a dog quit eating kibble, that's it. They won't again. Never found a canned food he'd eat either, so our emergency food options were severely limited.

Now I want to start addressing other things like you've got. Collars with names and phone numbers in case all three tags fall off for some odd reason.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: