Author Topic: Are those of us who are "parenting furkids" animal extremists?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Are those of us who are "parenting furkids" animal extremists?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
Now that I have read that article, and a few others, I have a point I would like to make.

Consider this scenario: From a legal standpoint, people who have pets are no longer owners, they are guardians, and the government and animal welfare activists dictates the criteria one must meet to have an animal companion in their lives. The AVMA took a stance against raw feeders, so now, one must feed commercial foods or risk having their pets confiscated. Most vets still push yearly vaccinations, so now all animal guardians must have their pets vaccinated for everything once a year, regardless of the guardian's feelings or the health of the pet. Many vets push less than optimal RX foods for illness, so now, if you don't follow the vet's recommendations and feed carb-loaded science diet dry or canned food to you diabetic cat, the cat can be seized and given to someone who will "care for it properly."

So while I do consider Amber to be my furkid, I can understand why people are getting upset about potential repercussions if someone picks up the term and changes laws using it, which some people are apparently trying to do. I have had many rescue dogs in the past, including a very badly abused doberman, so I can also understand why people would want a shift in people's perception and stricter laws... I would prefer that Phoenix's former owners never be allowed to care for so much as a houseplant, for example, but... honestly, weighing pros and con here are making my head hurt and my inner conspiracy theorist won't shut up right now so I will try to pick this back up later.

Tags: