Author Topic: Pig hair in Pedigree  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
Because pets are family...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Pig hair in Pedigree
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
I don't think that is the first time someone has found pig hair in non-pig flavored kibble. 

The most likely source of hair in this pet food is the ingredient “Meat and Bone Meal” – which interestingly Pedigree tells consumers is the “source of calcium” (not the source of hair). Meat and bone meal is one of the ingredients FDA testing found “could include euthanized animals.” Whole dead animals (not slaughtered animals) can be included in this ingredient, the skin of slaughtered animals that have been treated with a denaturing chemical can be included in this ingredient, actually just about anything can be included in this pet food ingredient. But the pet food label does not disclose this to the consumer.

Even if kibble was an appropriate diet for cats and dogs (it isn't), there are sooooo many reasons NOT to feed it. 
What is even more sad is vets are the educated ones, yet they so often recommend or prescribe it... 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
Back in May, some people started finding pig hairs in some of Pedigree's dog treats. I tweeted it, but now can't find that tweet--of course.

http://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/why-are-stiff-fibers-in-pedigree-dog-treats

So doesn't surprise me at all that it's in the food too. Thing is, I know some people that have dogs that are allergic to meats--like pork. So this is a really big issue for them. More so than anyone else. Who's to say that there wasn't meat attached to those hairs?

Even if the dog isn't allergic to pork, you have to remember how strong (and sharp) pig hair can be. That's why some people were likening them to metal wires. They make good hairbrushes with natural boar bristles. I'd be really upset to find something like that in my pet's food. If it's strong enough to brush hair with, it's strong enough to puncture something in the digestive system.

Ingredients of the treats found with it in May and nothing is said about pork in there unless it's somehow gotten in with the bone marrow. However, I've never seen any bones growing hair in them: 

WHEAT FLOUR, MEAT & BONE MEAL, SUGAR, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), COOKED BONE MARROW, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, MALTED BARLEY, SODIUM METABISULFITE (A PRESERVATIVE), VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACIN, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
Not pig hair copper wire:

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
Wish I'd taken photos for y'all of Mars' fancy, schmancy offices that were across the street from the place that was holding the commercial auditions that V&B went to a couple of years ago.

http://www.mars.com/global/press-center/press-list/news-releases.aspx?SiteId=94&Id=3537
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
This is a Google View of part of it. And I'm not sure how far back that place goes.

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
Purina issued this:

Seems to be becoming a he said she said thing. Not a big fan of Purina anyway, especially after they sued Blue Buffalo. To me that was just a way of getting the attention off of them on to someone else, a publicity stunt.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »
That's Pedigree, not Purina. Pedigree is Mar's Pet Care.

Purina is Nestle-Purina.

But they both suck just like Hill's, Royal Canin, Iams, and others that are such huge businesses.

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »
Oh, I didn't even notice lol. I am not a fan of big corporations anyhow so thats probably why. They all need to be smashed.

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
I think you missed the date on that recall:

Pedigree Dog Food Recalled For Metal Fragments
Aug 29, 2014

Tags: