Author Topic: God's Not Dead  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
God's Not Dead
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
I was curious how it would play out... Josh "proving" there is a God.  I wasn't really expecting much, for reason that would bore you all to death.  ;) 
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.  It was a great script.  Great actors. 
Also, I have to add... I have never studied atheism, so I assume those "arguments" are accurate. 

Present-day college freshman and devout Christian, Josh Wheaton, finds his faith challenged on his first day of Philosophy class by the dogmatic and argumentative Professor Radisson. Radisson begins class by informing students that they will need to disavow, in writing, the existence of God on that first day, or face a failing grade. As other students in the class begin scribbling the words "God Is Dead" on pieces of paper as instructed, Josh find himself at a crossroads, having to choose between his faith and his future. Josh offers a nervous refusal, provoking an irate reaction from his smug professor. Radisson assigns him a daunting task: if Josh will not admit that "God Is Dead," he must prove God's existence by presenting well-researched, intellectual arguments and evidence over the course of the semester, and engage Radisson in a head-to-head debate in front of the class. If Josh fails to convince his classmates of God's existence, he will fail the course and hinder his lofty academic goals. With almost no one in his corner, Josh wonders if he can really fight for what he believes. Can he actually prove the existence of God?

If you don't want to watch the entire trailer, at least go to 1:40.  :)  That is the part that intrigued me enough, to watch the movie. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:01:44 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: God's Not Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
Oooo...I'm gonna get that! Thank you!!!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
Okay. This was a good movie!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
Okay. This was a good movie!

Glad you liked it.  I thought it was written very well....did you?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
VERY well written. I'm still laughing about the Stephen Hawking quote he threw back at that professor:

Philosophy is dead.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:55:01 AM »
Ugh that movie is a Trainwreck!!!  :o
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 05:49:45 AM »
Ugh that movie is a Trainwreck!!!  :o

Did you see it?

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »
Yes Lola

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:56 PM »
The first review on this page pretty much sums up how I feel too. IMO
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/reviews

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 01:08:55 AM »
The first review on this page pretty much sums up how I feel too. IMO
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/reviews

I could tear apart that review, but it IS his opinion...and he is certainly entitled to one. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
I could tear apart that review, but it IS his opinion...and he is certainly entitled to one. 

Like the movie pointed out, there's a GREAT thing about free will. There's also a great thing about lack of censorship. I thank God and the heavens above that I have both.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:18:24 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
Watched it again, on Sunday.  Son LOVED it.  Hubby liked it.  He seemed to catch the jokes, more than the "message."  lol  Anyway... we TRY to get together for a family meal on Sundays.  Son thought adding in a movie would be a great addition.  It will be interesting, because the three of us have VERY different tastes...usually. 
Son already picked out the next movie.  I can't remember what he said though. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
Watched it again, on Sunday.  Son LOVED it.  Hubby liked it.  He seemed to catch the jokes, more than the "message."

I was regularly pausing the movie at first because hubs was joining in on the argument against the professor. He finally stopped after I told him it was going to be midnight before it was finished if I had to keep on stopping it. "The Bible as a Novel" class he had his senior year in HS for an extra English credit, but held after school, gave him too much ammunition for that professor.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »
I haven't yet watched that movie but the song "Gods Not Dead" is one if my favorites.  I love blasting that song on my headphones while running!

Tags: