Author Topic: OMG! "Could Create Behavioral Issues"?????  (Read 1616 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
OMG! "Could Create Behavioral Issues"?????
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
Are they SERIOUSLY citing behavioral issues such as the old one of, "Feeding raw meat to dogs will make them mean."

On Facebook:

Dogs Naturally Magazine shared Purina Veterinary Exchange's photo.

Dear Purina ...
What the heck is "human food?" We're pretty sure humans aren't the only species that eat food. And why would feeding dogs real food that Mother Nature created them to eat cause behavior disorders? Has it really come to this??

Purina quote: We love to treat our pets, but adding human food to a nutritionally balanced commercial dog food may upset your dog’s diet, and could create behavioral issues. Get more information here: http://puri.na/WyOGxp

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: OMG! "Could Create Behavioral Issues"?????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
That was good reading Dee, thanks for the link.  I, too, advise people with behavioral problems in pets to take a look at the diet first.  An animal eating a diet filled with corn, other grains, sawdust, sugar....is bound to have problems.

I was involved in a discussion in  another forum a few months ago.  I was lambasted by a few people saying that I was "demonizing kibble" and I should not be allowed to post any more. 

Purina's replies in that FB thread are laughable, or they would be if there wasn't so much at stake..pets' health and well being.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »

Purina's replies in that FB thread are laughable, or they would be if there wasn't so much at stake..pets' health and well being.

My favorite comment was:

Because dogs should be fed kibble.. God created dogs and cats to eat kibbles.. HE created a kibble tree in eden too.. Specially for cat and dogs.. And in 1890's human decided to take the kibble tree and make a copy of it and sell it in bags.. That is why its super healthy and species appropriate..
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:00:42 PM »
Purina Veterinary Exchange Hi, Shawna. We use sugar in our Beneful products for texture and flavor.

Real post.

Purina Veterinary Exchange Hi, Bridget. Our products do not contain euthanized pets. In fact, all of our meats come from facilities that process meat for human consumption.
Like · Yesterday at 11:48pm

Molly (I deleted last name) They come from facilities that process meat for human consumption? That doesn't mean anything. All that means is the meat going in here was UNFIT for human consumption.

They had no reply to this

But when asked what animal digest is, when asked to say what it IN animal digest all they can say is this:

Purina Veterinary Exchange Hi Deborah. Animal digest is a high-quality ingredient that provides an excellent source of protein and enhances the palatability of pet foods. These ingredients are hydrolyzed or "digested" to break down the animal protein into peptides in a manner similar to digestion in the body. Learn more here: http://puri.na/19bPpDy

These ingredients?  WHAT ingredients?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
Purina Veterinary Exchange Hi, Shawna. We use sugar in our Beneful products for texture and flavor.

If I had the time to make videos, I'd send Purina a few of how the boys are when they are NOT getting sugar, and what happens the few times a year when I give them one of the least objectionable sugars--honey. I came up with a recipe for carob treats that they absolutely LOVE.

Even in a small amount per cookie, they DO cause problems for them, and the boys require extra walking during the time period they have them until they're gone. That's why I make them so few times a year. Flavored yogurts also cause them problems.

I DO give them fruits (in much smaller amounts than vegetables) which doesn't seem to cause the same problems. I've just never bothered to try to figure out what's the difference in raw fruit opposed to honey or things like fruit yogurt. I've just assumed that it's the same difference in giving a diabetic a handful of grapes opposed to 2 tbs of grape jam. I could be wrong, but that's what I've always equated it with.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
Please tell me people arent actually still buying into this nonsense... I am curious as to how the real food causes aggression myth even started. And everyone knows, and has always known, that processed sugar is bad for people. What logic could they possibly be using to justify putting it in pet food?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
Please tell me people arent actually still buying into this nonsense... I am curious as to how the real food causes aggression myth even started.

I think it started because a lot of hunting people would feed their dogs raw meat before hunting, and put gun powder in it. I'm serious. They really did that.

It was supposed to make them meaner and more zealous hunters if it was done in that combination. Having something bloody would make them crave blood, and I have no idea what the gunpowder was for unless it was supposed to "set them off" into a frenzy.

I really have had people ask me about what I fed the boys, then they'd look at Vlad with nutty looks and say, "Doesn't that make them mean?" Then I have to take 30 minutes explaining the difference between a purebred dog's intended purpose, their intelligence to make decisions via genetics vs. what they're fed to be healthy and able to do those jobs.

That crazy wives' tale really does still thrive here in the south. It darned sure doesn't need even more help from places like Purina saying that you can develop behavioral issues if you feed them "people food."

Tags: