Author Topic: Went to Petsmart for the Zukes (Really about Simply Nourish)...  (Read 3824 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Went to Petsmart for the Zukes (Really about Simply Nourish)...
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:08:51 PM »
And on the same display as the Zukes was this Simply Nourish Chicken Skins with Cranberries dog treats:

http://www.petsmart.com/featured-shops/treats/simply-nourish-trade-chicken-skin-dog-treat-zid36-23390/cat-36-catid-800647?var_id=36-23390&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Ingredients:
Chicken Skins, Cranberries and Sugar

I came home and looked a bit to try to find this company, and all I can find is that it's only available at PetSmart.

Now, feeding dogs raw skins is one thing. It's different and everyone here knows it. But vets, including holistic ones, will warn you to not feed your dog that cooked turkey skin at Thanksgiving and Christmas--nor chicken skin, duck skin, etc., because you'll risk a bout of pancreatitis if you do.

SOOOOO, since when did taking scrap meat like the skin that's been cut off of "boneless, skinless" chicken cuts become a thing? And of course the company is claiming AAFCO compliance with their products--Like the AAFCO really matters, but still.

I can't find a site for this company though. My curiosity is peaked, and I really want to know, though I'll never trust them just due to the stupidity of this one single product. It said "Made in the USA," but we all know that often means even less than AAFCO credentials.

All I've really been able to find is:

From: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/251514/simply-nourish-cat-food-new-for-my-cats

krysta & Nutro Mike
I got a reply email from simply nourish and it said that their department (customer service ) does not have that kind of information and some mention of Utah , and they don't know about Natural flavor , all they know is their food passes the FDA . Really poor customer service ? This makes me a little nervous , what company is unable to verify information that their customers are entitled to???
Nutro mike, any luck? I mean I am trying to provide a healthy ,natural food for my cats so I think this kind of Info is important. Not sure what Im going to do, maybe another call.

I DID find this info:

http://canineadvocateinindy.blogspot.com/2013/04/simply-nourish-dog-food-review.html

Their address is: Simply Nourish Pet Food Company, 19601 N. 27th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ  85027, or you can contact them at: 1-888-299-PETS.

And seriously. Only 2 employees?

http://companies.findthebest.com/l/27423729/Simply-Nourish-Pet-Food-Company-Llc-in-Phoenix-AZ
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:22:45 PM by DeeDee, Reason: Changed Subject Line for Clarity »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Went to Petsmart for the Zukes (Really about Simply Nourish)...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
Before I was even a paragraph into your post I was thinking about that TCS thread and the frustrations of the members who tried to get info from Simply Nourish. A very slippery company and not one I would trust.

It's just another one of those companies trying to make themselves sound a lot better than they really are.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »
It's just another one of those companies trying to make themselves sound a lot better than they really are.

And by putting itself in the same display as Zukes (It was a huge 4-sided cardboard stand.), they were really trying to compare themselves to one of the boys' most favored treats that I have absolutely no problem giving at all. I had a very large "WTF!" moment there. It momentarily distracted me from my purpose until I got home.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:05:38 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
This listing is for Simply Nourish Pet Food Company LLC's Single Location in Phoenix, AZ. The company primarily operates in the Other Grocery and Related Products Merchant Wholesalers industry.

Simply Nourish Pet Food Company LLC:

Was founded in 2011 and is Privately held.
Has $140,000 in estimated annual revenue.
Employs 2 people.
Has 2 employees located here at the Single Location.

That location is definitely owned by PetsMart. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:18:55 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
I wonder if this info is accurate?

Many foods do not state where the food is from. And when they do how do we know that the ingredients are not from overseas?? Example: I received a list of the first 3 numbers on the code that will tell you if a product is from china. Well I bought “Simply Nourish SOURCE” It took me an hour on the internet to finally discover that it was Made in china. They are changing the numbers. Such clever entrepreneurs.
http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-pants-on-fire/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »

It is a secret company (?) that manufactures pet food/snacks for PetSmart?  Weird...

Yep. At first I thought there were possibly 2 companies...one with something other than LLC after the name. But then I compared it to the address given from the CanineAdvocateInIndy,  and knew that it actually WAS the same company.

If the fact that they were selling something we're all told to not feed our babies at holidays didn't make me distrust them enough, that was the icing on the cake.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
I wonder if this info is accurate?
http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-pants-on-fire/

I'd totally believe that was the truth.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
I would GUESS that location is an office and/or warehouse.  WHO makes the products is a mystery.  So far...