Author Topic: The Litter Box Roller  (Read 11324 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
The Litter Box Roller
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
Queen Eva is a Litter Box Roller. It drives me crazy for a number of reasons and I even tried giving her a box of pine pellets to roll in instead, but as far as i know, she has not rolled in the pine pellets. 

The box of pellets is right next to the other litter boxes, it doesn't look like any cat has ever even stepped in it  funny2

Queen Eva has trained herself to come and tell me after she does it, so I can clean her up.  I finally caught her telling and asking to be cleaned on video. (I have not caught her rolling).  Aside from the video (taken the other day) last night she did it again and had trouble getting my attention, as I was writing e mail on the computer.  I didn't know she wanted my attention to clean her up until she finally went to the kitchen counter, grabbed the fresh roll of paper towels I had sitting on the counter waiting to be installed and knocking it to the floor, at which point she pushed it over to my feet.

Smart Cat.  :)

You will see why she thought the paper towels roll would do it in the video.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: The Litter Box Roller
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
Ridiculously smart cat!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
I LOVE IT!  I wonder, too, if one of the reasons she does it is so she can get some extra-special "me" time with Mommy.  Too cute!  She's such a beautiful (and smart) kitty!  CatPurr
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
I read (somewhere) that a cat rolls in a litter box to "mark" it... make it his/her own.  ??
The video is ADORABLE!!!  Like Pookie... I was wondering if she does it to get your undivided attention.  I know you play with your cats daily, but... maybe she just wants to "call the shots."  :) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
Thanks! She really is a Precious One.  She may be marking, but she only does it in when the weather is cold so I wondered if it had something to do with dry itchy skin.  I cam back to update that I think she is occasionally rolling in the pine pellet box too now, I can tell because she smells like it.  funny2

She's still drenching herself in clumping litter regularly though. Sigh.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
Just curious if this is still going on.  My Arrows hasn't done it in a while (knock on wood), so I still can't make a connection as to the reason. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 09:12:28 AM »
She only does it in the winter.  In summer he coat is always so nice and plush because she stops rolling in the litter.  Toward the end of this past cold season I had put up that box of SmartCat grass litter and she was rolling in that.  I am hoping, if I keep a box of that around she will use that next winter instead of the clay clumping.

Noone uses it for toileting though.  Queen Eva used to, sometimes, but she doesn't any more.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »
Interesting about it seeming to be a seasonal thing. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:33:44 AM »
I've been delighted so far this winter that Queen Eva seems to, for the most part, forgotten about this nasty little habit, but since the temperature has dropped into the single digits and mostly stayed there she has become dedicated to rolling in the litter again.  At least four times yesterday.  She still comes and tells me after so I can wash her.  :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
Still doing it.  Only during the cold weather.  Still coming to tell me, after she does it, still leading me to the bathroom to be washed, still talking and purring through the washing of Herself.

funny2

(It took me over an hour to find this thread, and in the meantime I tabbed about 15 others that I had forgotten about and may revive here, so be warned, old thread spam alert coming haha!)

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
Her tail is giving me fits haha, so very active!
Brandon

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
I think it is the litter you use.  I bought some of "your" litter.  As soon as I put it in a litter box, Arrows jumped in and rolled and rolled and rolled.  He hasn't rolled in litter in years! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
I think it is the litter you use.  I bought some of "your" litter.  As soon as I put it in a litter box, Arrows jumped in and rolled and rolled and rolled.  He hasn't rolled in litter in years! 

funny2 funny2

Cat's Pride Natural fragrance free clumping? How did you like it? It's a lot dustier than it used to be.

But Lola, how can it be the litter?  I use this litter year round.  She only rolls in it in the winter, and only when it is very cold.  Like now.

Sometimes she rolls in the Smartcat grass litter, but usually it's the clay. I wish she would rol in just the Smartcat. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
funny2 funny2

Cat's Pride Natural fragrance free clumping? How did you like it? It's a lot dustier than it used to be.

But Lola, how can it be the litter?  I use this litter year round.  She only rolls in it in the winter, and only when it is very cold.  Like now.

Sometimes she rolls in the Smartcat grass litter, but usually it's the clay. I wish she would rol in just the Smartcat. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

I have no idea why Arrows rolled... I just thought of you, when he did it. 
I like that it comes in 20 lb jugs, and I can now get it at my local grocery store.  :)  It only seemed a litttttttle dusty, when I poured it into the litter pans...or have to wipe down a cat that rolled in it!  I haven't noticed dust on the floors, or around the litter pans... but I'll let you know in a few days. 
I have used litters (many years ago) that were so dusty, I could see dust on the floors and whatever else was near a little pan.  I don't think this one is going to have that problem. 
Another test will be Lola.  Two of our boxes are covered.  If she sneezes, I will know the dust is too much.  Again, I don't see that happening though. 
It clumps great!  That is a feature most want to know.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 08:00:54 AM »
Yes I would still call it low dust. Just not as low as it used to be.

I can't find it locally any more.  I have to order it from Amazon at highway robbery prices.  There is a little grocery store where I go to pick up Rad Cat that carries it, at half the Amazon price. When I go to get the Rad Cat I stop at this store and confess, I strip the shelves of it. They usually have 2 or 3 jugs.  I take them all.  I feel terrible and selfish doing it, but it's the only litter I can tolerate aside from the smart grass. Then I cancel my Amazon subscription for that month.

Tags: