Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27614 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
I would recommend stop mixing the foods together.  Feed them the canned and chicken separate.

I've never been a fan of mixing.

I understand your concern, but getting rid of the dry and not relying on it is a good thing.  You will know who is eating what because you are not free feeding any more.  Keep a journal and record meals, times fed, who ate, who finished, who didn't, and so on.

In my opinion, routine, consistency, is the most important thing to a cat.  Changing up on them randomly is not effective, at least, not in my point of view.  I would feed canned meals at certain times each day and the home prepared meals at certain times each day, gradually (when you are ready) increasing the number of home made meals and decreasing the canned servings.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
I would recommend stop mixing the foods together.  Feed them the canned and chicken separate.

I've never been a fan of mixing.

I understand your concern, but getting rid of the dry and not relying on it is a good thing.  You will know who is eating what because you are not free feeding any more.  Keep a journal and record meals, times fed, who ate, who finished, who didn't, and so on.

In my opinion, routine, consistency, is the most important thing to a cat.  Changing up on them randomly is not effective, at least, not in my point of view.  I would feed canned meals at certain times each day and the home prepared meals at certain times each day, gradually (when you are ready) increasing the number of home made meals and decreasing the canned servings.

Okay, I will try that.  It will be helpful, in terms of knowing who is accepting the homemade and who is more reluctant to eat it.

No question about the dry.  No one ate it anyway, in fact, one cat tried to bury it. 

I did return what I had left of the Fromm.  Something in that brand of canned did not agree with them at all.  One cat even threw up.  Got some Lotus and Weruva instead.  I have fed these before, and they were well-received.  I will make a batch of full-on homemade today, and see how they do with it, alternated with the cans. 

I am determined to see this through, it's just kind of scary sometimes, when I think they are not eating enough.   

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »
Yes, that is scary!  That's why keeping a journal helps. I realize that's more commitment with 6, as opposed to 3!

Also weighing them.  If you can't get a hold of a baby scale just now, you should go ahead with the weighing yourself, weighing yourself holding them, or the carrier, method, at least.  It's better than nothing.

I think you are doing a great job!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »

I hate head colds.   :'( 

Hope you are feeling better!!

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
Question about scales.  Would a really good bathroom scale (like down to the ounce) work?  That way, I could either weigh myself, and then weigh myself holding each cat, or weigh a carrier, and then the carrier with the cat in it.  I don't think some of mine will sit still on a baby scale. 

I have the weight written on each carrier.  I use a Weight Watchers scale, with cat in carrier.  Deduct weight of carrier.  The Weight Watchers scale does give ounces.  I have weighed a cat at home, before going to the vet, and then compared the numbers.  Same with humans.  Spot on. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
Well, I mixed some real chicken with cheap canned food last night.  They ate some of it, but I ended up having to throw some out, too.  Offered some of the better canned straight during the night, but they were not hungry.

This is making me a little nervous.  They are eating, but not as much as I am used to seeing them eat, and they don't all mob me in the kitchen when they hear the cans being opened anymore.  Could this be because they are getting used to food that has less filler, and don't need as much to be satisfied?  I admit that in a moment of panic, I even offered them a little bit of dry, but they wouldn't touch it.  I started throwing most the kibble out - not just taking it away from them or putting it up, but actually putting it in the trash - yesterday, but still had some left.  I think getting rid of it altogether scares me.   :-[   I may have told this story before, but years ago (long enough that it was a whole different group of cats), I tried to switch to canned, and before I knew it, I had a rather secretive cat who, unbeknownst to me, had stopped eating altogether and ended up with fatty liver.  It took a huge vet bill and a month of tube-feeding to get her healthy again.  I know ditching kibble, and eventually all commercial food, is better for my cats, but I probably never would have worked up the courage to try again had this lot not taken a sudden dislike to what I was giving them.  Still...I get a little freaked out to this day any time a cat does not seem hungry. 

Cats are my life, but dogs are so much easier to get on real food. 

Raw will definitely be more satisfying!  No fillers.
On AVERAGE, my cats eat 5 oz a day each, divided into 3 meals.  BUT you want to weigh them all OFTEN, so no one loses any kibble fat - if they are over-weight - too quickly.  Some were fed more, when I first started out. 
Previous bad experiences tend to affect our future thoughts and actions.  You are normal.  :) 
I won't let a cat go more then 24 hours of not having food.  In fact, if one skips ONE meal (or even picks at a meal)... my radar goes off.
Are you feeding meals?  I mean... each of mine have their own plate.  I know exactly who is eating what and how much. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »
Yes, that is scary!  That's why keeping a journal helps. I realize that's more commitment with 6, as opposed to 3!

Also weighing them.  If you can't get a hold of a baby scale just now, you should go ahead with the weighing yourself, weighing yourself holding them, or the carrier, method, at least.  It's better than nothing.

I think you are doing a great job!

Agree to ALLLLLLLL the above!!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 05:27:58 AM »
I have the weight written on each carrier.  I use a Weight Watchers scale, with cat in carrier.  Deduct weight of carrier.  The Weight Watchers scale does give ounces.  I have weighed a cat at home, before going to the vet, and then compared the numbers.  Same with humans.  Spot on.

This is a good idea.  I think I'm going to go with a new, better bathroom scale, rather than a baby scale, as we need one, anyway. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:49 AM »
Raw will definitely be more satisfying!  No fillers.
On AVERAGE, my cats eat 5 oz a day each, divided into 3 meals.  BUT you want to weigh them all OFTEN, so no one loses any kibble fat - if they are over-weight - too quickly.  Some were fed more, when I first started out. 
Previous bad experiences tend to affect our future thoughts and actions.  You are normal.  :) 
I won't let a cat go more then 24 hours of not having food.  In fact, if one skips ONE meal (or even picks at a meal)... my radar goes off.
Are you feeding meals?  I mean... each of mine have their own plate.  I know exactly who is eating what and how much.

The fattest cats have already lost weight in the months since I took them off Science Diet.  A couple of them are still a little heavier than I would like, but nothing like they were. 

I think part of the problem is that I am having a hard time wrapping my head around just how small an amount 5 oz. is, divided by three. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 05:39:02 AM »
The fattest cats have already lost weight in the months since I took them off Science Diet.  A couple of them are still a little heavier than I would like, but nothing like they were. 

I think part of the problem is that I am having a hard time wrapping my head around just how small an amount 5 oz. is, divided by three.

Trying to do meals, but probably leaving them down too long, again, out of fear.  I've tried giving each cat a plate, but they end up moving around and getting into each other's food no matter what I do. 

Ugh, this was supposed to be added to the last post, not a new one.  Sorry, any way to fix?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:40:46 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
It's fine the way it is, no need to blend the posts.

If possible I would recommend gradually separating their feeding places.  I know that will be difficult with 6.  But when each cat has his or her own spot, they tend to stay in the spot.  At least, that's been my experience.

it's a lot of changes you are making so don't panic! There is no rush. Things do tend to work out as you go along.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »
Picked out a scale that I think will work well.  It's a postal scale (thank you, Lola!), and I can place a carrier on it without worrying that the display will be hidden, because it is not on the platform itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digital-Shipping-Postal/dp/B00I9D5IFM/ref=nav_ya_signin?s=office-products&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1513728321&sr=1-3&keywords=postal+scale&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&

Should be here in a couple of days.  I will let you all know how I like it. 

Totally OT, but I would ask for prayers from all who pray, for my housemate.  She is 78 and has a nasty cold in her chest, with a temp.  She will probably be okay, but it is still scary.  She is a second mom to me.   

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:16:30 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »

Totally OT, but I would ask for prayers from all who pray, for my housemate.  She is 78 and has a nasty cold in her chest, with a temp.  She will probably be okay, but it is still scary.  She is a second mom to me.   

I'll be praying for her. Make sure she gets tested for flu. Some we personally know have already tested positive here in Northern Mid-Tenn, and TN wasn't on the flu-map last time I looked at it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 04:47:30 AM »
Congratulations on choosing a scale!  That is convenient having the display separate since you are using the carrier!

All paws crossed for your housemate. GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 06:15:26 AM »
I am absolutely frantic.  No one is eating as much as before, very little, in fact, and Lucy won't eat anything.  She's also not acting like her normal, vocal self.  I have tried everything.  I have offered homemade, canned, I even went out and got some ACANA dry, and opened a can of salmon.  She will not eat at all, and nobody else is eating much, either.  They didn't want much Monday, but I figured it was because the new food satisfied them more, but yesterday was much worse.   

Lucy will have to go to the vet.  Hopefully she will be the only one.

I am wondering what I've done wrong.  They always have fresh water, I haven't made anyone wait too long between meals.  I still plan to stick with this, but right now I am terrified.  She won't even eat any Temptations.

I know that better food is the right thing for them, but right now, I am so worried about them, and worried about my housemate, too, that I wish they had just kept eating what they were getting to begin with, but there's no going back, because, as I already mentioned, they won't eat that, either.

I don't know what to do right now. 

Tags: