Author Topic: Mazy cat is poorly  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Mazy cat is poorly
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
 Mazy cat has been not feeling well, she hasn't eaten since 7:12 last night.  The two previous days she threw up her supper meal but ate all other meals, normally, right up to that last serving at 7:12 yesterday.

She went to bed last night about 9:00 and stayed there in her spot (next to my pillow) all night and most of this morning.  At 8:45 this morning, still in bed, I gave her a tiny piece of PureBites, broken up even tinier.  She ate those shreds after thinking about it and then got up and came out of the bedroom.

She rested on the Tower for a few minutes but when I opened the window on the stairs she went down there and is still sitting there. It's hard not to fuss over her but I don't want to annoy her and send her into hiding.

As I was writing that she came upstairs to tell me something.  I wasn't sure if she was saying she was ready to eat some real food or she needed to use the litter box and wanted me to know, so I went down to the litter boxes.  I found she had peed and she followed me down and asked me to lift her into the box and she had a small poop.

That's two small poops in two days, she normally has larger poops than that, even being raw fed, so I am guessing something is clogging her up.  A massive wad of fur is the most likely issue.

She isn't asking to eat yet and I am not going to force her. worryworryworryworry

PS (five minutes since writing) She's still down at the window on the stairs.  She's talking to me now, when I peek down at her.  That's a good sign.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Mazy cat is poorly
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
She came up and asked for food!  I gave her a very tiny bit of RC, .1 ounce (one tenth of an ounce), with another of the same ready if she wanted it.

She ate the .1 oz, but left a couple of specks and did not ask for more.  I'm going at her pace today of course.  Today was supposed to be weigh day but I skipped it in order to avoid any stress.

She's out on the porch now. Still feeling a bit sorry for herself I think, but if she's feeling sorry for herself she's feeling better.

The first pic is Mazy cat on the porch just now.  The other two are pictures I took early this morning when I got up, but was planning to go back to bed (but it also shows Mazy cat's position since 9:00 last night).  When I came back into the bedroom I wondered how on earth I had been able to sleep in that tiny space left between the two of them.  Queen Eva had been under the sheet on my legs, she was just getting up.  funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
I've just had an inspiration.  I wonder if yesterday/last night/this morning is completely unrelated to the regurgitation, and is a reaction to overheating.  It didn't feel hot yesterday but she did spend the entire day on the porch, sleeping in direct sunlight as often as possible. She even ate her meals out there.

I've just blocked her current sunbeam (much to her annoyance) and when it gets really hot and full sun on the porch (which will happen in about 2 hours) I'm bringing her in and turning on the ac.

She's had two more tiny meals, .2 oz each time, an hour apart.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
Picture 1) sun block

Picture 2) Feeling better!

Picture 3) sun is starting to hit the porch but I can't bear to make her come in.  So I'm still sun blocking.  She's allowing it.  The sun is hot but there's such a nice breeze and it's so peaceful and quiet!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
And Picture 4...because

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »
I wanna rub that tummy!!!!!!

It may very well be that she had too much sun.  I think you're doing the right thing, going at her pace and feeding when she asks for it.  Just out of curiosity, did she ever pass The Weed that she ate, one way or another?

Sending purrs that she feels much better soon (so you can, too)!  GoodVibes grouphug GoodVibes grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
Luckily, I have dogs that are black and hate summer sun, but if they didn't limit themselves and their activity in summer, I'd be doing it for them. They wouldn't be off leash except in early morning and later evening.

I think you're doing the right thing limiting her. From what I've read, cats still have that urge for desert sun conditions, but they're indoor cats, so they're not used to what they're wanting. If they won't ignore their urges, you have to do it for them for their sake. Sun stroke isn't any joke with humans, and I'm sure it's no different for any pet whether it be cat, dog, bunny, or anything else.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Thanks for the support you guys.

With my on going efforts at sun blocking I was able to delay the going in until 2:40, but then it was just too hot, sun blocked and all.  Mazy cat did not want to come in (nor did Jennie, Queen Eva was already in).

Once inside with the curtains all closed and the breeze running through it was nice in here until about 4:30, then I had to shut it all up and turn the ac on. I'l leave it on until the sun sets, then open the house back up again.

Mazy cat is still eating tiny (.2 oz) servings of Rad Cat only, leaving tiny specks in her dish at the end of each serving (not like her). I hope I am only projecting, but now that the Rad Cat is 100% HPP it seems she doesn't like it as much. Tomorrow I will start her normal diet with the Coleman's chicken breast or thigh and EZcomplete again.

When all settles down I will reintroduce the Cornish hen.

Pookie sorry I keep forgetting to answer you.  I never saw the weed in her poop.  I started doubting she even ate it, maybe I was mistaken, but the pukes two nights in a row may indicate that it's still in there causing her trouble. I am only giving her one more food meal, at 7:30, tonight (she had one a little while ago).  At 9:00 I will give her a whole vets-best crushed, mixed with enough water and flavored with a few flakes of PureBites.  That is all, Then that vets-best will have 8 1/2 full hours to work on whatever is bunging things up. I would have liked to do it last night, because she had a 14 hour fast, but she wouldn't take the vets'-best.

Picture 1) I had to extend the sheet UP, to block the sun, but keepig it behind the screen worked well, it didn't get in Mazy cat's way.

Picture 2) I had to extend the block.  I put this towel on the near side, so while it was blocking the sun it was also a little tunnel, a little wind tunnel, bring a breeze right to Mazy's back. :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the update!  I still wanna rub that tummy . . .  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 05:44:32 AM »
Thanks for the update!  I still wanna rub that tummy . . .  :)

Me too.  But it will never happen.  funny2

Mazy cat has eaten her pre-meal breakfast with no problems. I plan to continue with her normal diet today, including her "chunk" meal with EZcomplete. I was hoping for a poop full of fur this morning after her 8 1/2 hour fast but so far she hasn't produced. :)

(7:19 a.m., after breakfast-thundering around the house with Queen Eva bananamiddlechild)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »
(7:19 a.m., after breakfast-thundering around the house with Queen Eva bananamiddlechild)

thumbsup1   coolgif2 dancingbanana tiggerbounce

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »
Wow...what a scary day you had!!!  SO glad Mazy seems to be returning to normal.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »
She's better today, and she's eating, but isn't really interested in it. I mean, she's eating everything I give her, and not regurgitating, but she's not eating it with her usual interest.

I think she definitely doesn't like the Rad Cat HPP as much. Hopefully getting her back on the Cornish hen, for that extra variety, will help.

She's lost 4 1/2 ounces though, in the last 2weeks. I'll call tomorrow to get her appointment scheduled.

I was trying a new way to accommodate her regurgitation days, feeding her extra every day, rather than driving myself crazy trying to "make up" portions on days that she regurgitates.

At first it seemed to be working, but these last two weeks it hasn't worked out so well. I either need to feed even more each day on good days, or go back to staying up half the night when she pukes up a meal, to make it up.

I think that would work if she was on her every 7-10 days as she had been.  But two days in a row, then not puking but not eating much on Saturday and Sunday is just too much.

I know she really feels the heat, but it wasn't hot those two days last week when she brought up her supper two days in a row. Even with the ac on, I think the heavy weather affects her.

Well, stay tuned.  Thanks for the support everyone.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:14:10 PM »
Has she been eating just Rad Cat?  No variety?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 05:24:50 AM »
Has she been eating just Rad Cat?  No variety?

Only for a couple of days. After she threw up her EZcomplete meal two days in a row I fed her only Rad Cat Friday, Saturday and Sunday, chicken and turkey,  but last night, and normally, she gets her EZcompelte meal (chunks and premix) every night.  Two servings are meat and EZcomplete and the third is just plain meat.

Plus you know what, I had stopped her supplements too. With all the supplements she takes I can't imagine any meal tastes the same as any other! Now everything is back in place and this morning she showed interest in her morning pre-meals as well as eating them.

Big storm in the middle of the night broke the heat. Don't know if it's coming back or not.

Looks like not, just in the 70s for the next few days.  yay!

EDIT:  I stopped the Cornish hen while I was doing the HPP transition, because I needed the Cornish hen meal slot for the HPP. Now I have to start all over again with that.  However I am going to put the CH and liver as her second breakfast meal, with no supplements (except calcium to balance it).  I got the food processor attachment to my blender out, to see if I can use it to chop the CH fine, so I don't have to be cutting it up like I do the breast and thigh at supper.

Tags: