Author Topic: Feeding A New (Maybe) Dog Raw  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Feeding A New (Maybe) Dog Raw
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:49:43 PM »
We are likely going to be adding a new dog (Misa) to our family fairly soon.  Misa is approx. 4 years old.  She was rescued from the streets. 
Misa is currently fed kibble.  Not that there is a "good" kibble, but her rescue mom says she is feeding "cheap" kibble.  She currently has 13 rescues.

Misa is fed two times a day.

It has been so long since I have transitioned a dog to raw, I can't remember how I did it.  I think I just fed the last meal of kibble...and then the next meal was raw. 

I say "maybe" Misa will be joining the family, because we still have to pass the home check.  I don't expect to fail it, but... 

Any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:08:22 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Feeding A New (Maybe) Dog Raw
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:01:03 PM »
It's not like switching from one kibble to another kibble. Generally everyone just goes cold turkey on the kibble and straight to raw. However, when Vlad was coming to us, and I was transitioning 1-yr old Barkly, I started with one meat and fed that for a couple of weeks. Then every week added another type of meat until he was eating all of them.

I wanted to make sure that none of them were going to cause him gastric issues since he was new to it, so I did it one at a time. I didn't have to do that with Vlad b/c he had already tried all the meats by the time I got him. Barkly wasn't like a cat and had to be tricked into eating raw. He ate it right out of the chute. It was kibble that I'd had a year of eating hit-or-miss with Barkly.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:03:20 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »
Thanks, DeeDee.  That must have been how I did it.  I DO have a memory... who would have guessed!   Silly7

What protein would you suggest I start with?  What one is known to be the least problematic?  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:52:04 PM »

What protein would you suggest I start with?  What one is known to be the least problematic?  :)

You're welcome. I think I'd probably try some form of poultry first. It's easier to digest. I'd probably go with turkey or duck before chicken though. Then work up to pork, and red meats after that.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:11 AM »
I think I will go with turkey.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
Misa

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:29:08 AM »
OMG! Up-and-down ears even. It's SO cute when dogs can do that! She's a really beautiful color of reddish gold. Someone's got a pretty Crepe Myrtle too. Ours isn't anywhere near blooming yet.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:21:09 AM »
Someone's got a pretty Crepe Myrtle too. Ours isn't anywhere near blooming yet.

The picture isn't a recent one.  Within the last year-ish.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:36:42 AM »
bananamiddlechild

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 11:32:53 PM »
I didn't really have to transition Lily and Bandit.  I just took away the kibble and started giving them the same raw food I was giving the cats.  No canned food was ever involved with the dogs.  I know some people's dogs have had loose stools starting out, but mine never did.  Lily has a cast iron stomach, and Bandit, who had frequent diarrhea on kibble, improved immediately. 

I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part, I don't think dogs are as resistant to change as cats.  I would just offer the raw and see what happens. 

She's a cute dog!  Congratulations!

Tags: