Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 118980 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 06:25:20 AM »
Pookie, carrots were actually something I tried with Ootay Princess back the the early days of her chronic constipation.  She loved peas, corn, green beans and watermelon,  so I thought she might eat them.   She did at first, but after the second time she balked and refused to eat them again. (shredded into her food)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »
Oregano provides fiber. What about some of that? I know some people use the oil as an antibiotic for their pets, but the plant itself provides fiber. So would catnip.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Oregano provides fiber. What about some of that? I know some people use the oil as an antibiotic for their pets, but the plant itself provides fiber. So would catnip.

I wondered about cat grass, but given how long it sits inside Mazy Cat when she eats the outdoor grass, I figured it anything like that might do the same.

I was just tossing out carrots as a more natural source of cellulose (fiber) than what might be in the VB.  It's a starch, too, in a way, but I was thinking it wouldn't be as high-sugar/starch as, say, potato.  But like I said before, it was a brain fart, and I totally understand not wanting to introduce anything new to her.

Thanks you guys.  I'm going to go back to plain Slippery Elm Bark, and marshmallow .  Those are the two active ingredients in the Vets-Best, aside from the psyllium, anyway.  She gets psyllium in the Rad Cat and I'll see how she does without it.

I totally forgot you'd given her the SEB and marshmallow!  Sounds like a good plan, esp. since you've used it with her before.  Hmmm... ok, another brain fart coming . . . I wonder if you could combine the SEB and marshmallow and make your own version of VB, using say, gelatin as a binder.  Like you don't have enough to do.   :-[  But even if it was something you were willing to try, definitely not now.  You've got your hands full already.

Yours truly really needs to cease and desist with the brain farts . . .  :-[
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 04:51:51 AM »
Pookie, any ideas are fine and welcome. Don't worry and it's a good idea.  I know of someone who does that (combines marshmallow and SEB), but I don't see any reason to take that extra step.  I'll just put the doses right in her food, each day.

I haven't used the marshmallow before, just the SEB. I have it because I bought it, intending to use it.  I went to the Vets-Best because it was easier, it had both those things in it already.

I wasn't using it for the fiber, and I am not even sure she needs the psyllium, , but if she does I can get the Konsyl psylium too.  It's the mucilage and anti-inflammatory properties I was after, not the fiber.

While I'm waiting for the SEB to get here I am grdually reducing the vet's-best

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
Vet's Best can say/claim what they want... I believe SOMETHING changed, when they changed the size.  I used it as a food topper to introduce new proteins, textures, etc.  It was my go to "miracle" for years. 

After the tablet size change...  pffft! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
Vet's Best can say/claim what they want... I believe SOMETHING changed, when they changed the size.  I used it as a food topper to introduce new proteins, textures, etc.  It was my go to "miracle" for years. 

After the tablet size change...  pffft! 

This is a new change.  It's back to the original size/shape.  It's the ingredients that have been changed.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and get the Konsyl and just mix my own.  A little Konsyl, a little SEB and a little marshmallow root in the same two meals she was getting the Vet's-Best in.

The major difference between the two will be the digestive enzymes that are in the V-B.  But I can add those at home too. I have the Drs Best digestive enzymes still (no relation to Vets-Best).

Jennie & Queen Eva can have the V-B (they get it one meal a week, Sunday night) but when it's gone I won't be buying it again.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 09:49:28 AM »
They changed it again?  Or maybe just the label finally caught up with the previous change.  ??

I just know when it changed size, it no longer worked for my use.  AND barfing was an issue for a few in my bunch, IF they did eat food that was topped with VB.  With so many variables, it took me a while to pin down the exact cause.  As awful as it sounds, I finally fed a food that I knew was issue free :)... topped it with VB... waited for the "results." 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 08:44:18 AM »
Mazy cat is maintaining her weight, with my coming straight home from work every day.  I am desperate to start walking again, soon it will be too dark to walk after work and I really really really need to get some exercise before that happens.

She's been off the V-B completely for 3 days.  The SEB hasn't come yet, I'm using only the marshmallow root at the moment.

Regarding the V-B change, the change in formula happened this summer.  Hundreds of people wrote to them to complain, mostly about palatability, and they sent out free samples of a newer batch that was "more palatable" but the list of "inactive ingredients" on the label are the same crappy ingredients.  I actually received 2 free bottles a month apart as I kept writing, trying to make them understand that there would now be many cats who could not use this product, due to the change in ingredients.

The SEB should be here this week, and I ordered Konsyl (pure psyllium) too, in case she needs it.  I'd rather have it handy, instead of having to wait for it.  If I never need to use it, I still won't consider it money wasted.

I am going to try something new, George's aloe vera.  Pookie was it you who suggested aloe a long time ago?  I've been very resistant to it up until now, but a number of people in the IBD group are using it with great results.  It was Laurie Goldstein, my raw mentor and co-founder of EZc who has the most experience with it, she's been using it for years, first with her lymphoma cart, and now with several others.  She uses a vet who studies and uses Chinese herbal medicine.

Apparently it is the latex in the aloe that is toxic to cats, and George's removes the latex.  It is not organic.

The method is to mix the aloe with SEB and to syringe a half hour before a meal.  I think frequent syringing will cause Mazy cat too much stress so I am thinking about how to administer it, a way to get her to eat it on her own.

These are the products I am using or am about to use, for Mazy cat

George's Aloe

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VKEBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Konsyl psyllium

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QIZMY00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slippery Elm Bark

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UE25XQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marshmallow seed

https://smile.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Marshmallow-Root-Capsules/dp/B000302280/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477230130&sr=1-1&keywords=nature%27s+way+marshmallow+root

The Aloe is the only product I have never used with cats before.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 06:07:20 AM »
Started her back on the SEB last night.  Maybe started with too much, though it was only 1/8 tsp, she didn't seem to want to eat much supper afterward.  She ate part of her EZc meal but balked at the rest of it, but did eat some plain chicken breast.

This morning she has eaten breakfast as usual and no sign of digestive upset.

She's pooping but I'm wondering if she has a bit of a back up in there from going off the psyllium so suddenly.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2016, 08:28:22 AM »
I want to keep this thread going, but I'll reference the going off psyllium thread here, too since it is part of it.

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4640.msg34176#new

Mazy cat is doing really well but it's still early days.  The psyllium (and aloe) hasn't come yet, and she is getting just a tiny bit of SEB and marshmallow root at her bed time meal.  I have to 'help' the meal with some PureBites dust or she balks at it.  She never used to care about the taste of the SEB when I used it before, but I think that was in canned food.

Her poops are regular, and much smaller than when on the V-B. I am not surprised by that of course. I am not going to add the psyllium as a regular part of her diet unless she needs it.  I'm going to stick to working up the dose of SEB and MR for now.

I am keeping the home warmer than I ever have before, in order to help with her arthritis.  I admit it is nice to come home to a house already warm. But then I start doing stuff and get too hot.  I am used to keeping my house cold in the winter, usually around 60.  But I think Mazy cat needs it to be at least 68-70.

I'm going to reference that thread here too so I can find details when I need them

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4607.0

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »
Mazy cat lost an ounce and a half this week.  I've gone back and totaled averages for the last few weeks, checking weights.  She maintains on a weekly average of 3.88 ounces a day, last week she had, on average 3.6 ounces a day. 

That was those two days she was so poorly from going off the vets-best. One day she had only 2.47 oz and one day 3 oz.  The rest of the week I had her up to 3.8 or more but it wasn't enough to make up for the two deficit days.

On the 3.6 ounces a day 5 days a week and 4.6 ounces a day two days a week, that averages out to exactly 3.88 ounces a day and that is what she maintains on.

But since she lost this week I'm going to have to somehow get extra into her each day before going back to the 3.6 ounces 5 days (so I can have a life) and 4.6 ounces (on egg yolk days) 2 days.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
 :(  grouphug GoodVibes grouphug GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2016, 07:08:49 PM »
I don't want to jinx it so I'll just say things are going okay so far.  Her poops are chock full of fur.  Just masses of it. The only way I can get the SEB and MMR into her is with a tiny amount of canned at bed time every night.  .2 oz (2/10 of an ounce) with the SEB and MMR. She won't touch any raw if I add those things to it.

Which is fine as long as the By Nature Organic holds out but if this is to continue this way I am going to need another canned I can use for her, because the By N expires in May, and, as yu know, there is no more of it..

I have not used the psyllium or the aloe.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

bananamiddlechild

Tags: