Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27664 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
I'd weigh them the way you did the first time, and weigh them again the new way you've weighed them. Compare. You're not going to get proper results any other way.

What you've just done is compare apples to oranges, and the first weigh-in doesn't count.

I tried to do that, but it wasn't working.  The first time, I just had each cat sit in a box on the scale.  I thought it would upset them less than being put in a carrier, but yesterday I couldn't get anyone to sit still in the box.  I'm doing weigh-ins using a carrier from here on out.  My scale has tare, so it shouldn't matter what they sit in, as long as they hold still, should it?

The good news is, with the exception of Jenny, I think they are ready to go to raw only, no more canned.  I did order some little cans and pouches for her, and to drizzle over the food if they get picky when I introduce a new protein source.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
Jenny is starting to show interest in raw!  She ate her whole meal just now.  I had to kind of redirect her to the bowl a few times, when the other cats distracted her, but she ended up eating all of it.  I am beyond overjoyed!

Tonight's dinner was pork.  It was a cut with some fat that came out kind of stringy when I ran it through the food processor, so I am even prouder of her for actually chewing a little.

I could honestly shed tears of joy right now, at seeing her enjoy her food. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:24:17 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »

Sooooooo many can relate to your joy... I promise you! 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
Jenny is starting to show interest in raw!  She ate her whole meal just now.  I had to kind of redirect her to the bowl a few times, when the other cats distracted her, but she ended up eating all of it.  I am beyond overjoyed!

Tonight's dinner was pork.  It was a cut with some fat that came out kind of stringy when I ran it through the food processor, so I am even prouder of her for actually chewing a little.

How wonderful! I am so happy for you! (and Jenny!)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »
multistars multistars multistars  thumbsup1  Yay, Jenny!  (and good job, Mom)  :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2018, 06:10:28 AM »
Today is shopping day.  I still have a bag of chicken leg quarters, and part of the pork roast, both in the freezer, but I need to get more liver.  I will be smarter this time, and divide it up into small portions before freezing it!  Last time, I put the whole tub in the freezer, and that proved to be a real headache later.  I am hoping to find some hearts - chicken or beef, whatever - for the taurine and to give them something to chew, and maybe some chicken necks.  I also need to get some meat that is not frozen, as my stash of food is getting a bit too low to wait for the stuff in my freezer to thaw out.  I like to have a few days' worth ready to go.  I don't want to turn to canned just because I have run out!

I have read almost every post about raw for cats (I did skip some of the ones about freeze-dried and RadCat, as I don't see myself using either of these - nothing wrong with them, I just can't afford them), and lots of those for dogs, and I want to say thank you to everyone who has shared so much about their own journeys.  I have gotten so many good ideas, and I have special admiration for cat parents who overcame an aversion to handling raw meat to do the best for their furkids.  It's not something that has ever bothered me, and I wonder if I would have been so determined if it had.  I hope that does not sound arrogant, or like I think I have "graduated" or something, because I'm not sure you can, but I did want to express my appreciation for this forum and its members.  You guys rock.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:15:59 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
but I did want to express my appreciation for this forum and its members.  You guys rock.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Awww . . .  :-* :-* :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt You're very welcome!

I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we're glad you found the information here helpful and useful.  That's why this forum exists, so we can share what we've learned with others, to help them and their pets on their journey.

I have read almost every post about raw for cats

Wow.  That's a LOT of reading.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy  My head was practically exploding just after reading Dr. Pierson's site, so I don't know how you handled all the information here.

Your pets (and your roomie's pets) are lucky to have you.  You rock, too!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
Shopping is done.  I got chicken livers, of course, 2 1/2 lb., which I had to have to make any more food.  Also found chicken breasts marked down, and got 6 lbs.  Boneless and skinned, so I may mix them with leg quarter meat, I just need to thaw it out and debone it.  I also got two 24 oz. Cornish game hens and 6 1/2 lbs. of beef cheek.  Spent just under $35 after tax, which is not too bad for 16 lb.  Also ordered two more packets of Alnutrin yesterday.  The first one is not gone yet, but I don't want to run out.

I will probably end up thawing the hens one at a time, and cutting them up to see if I can get anyone to eat bone here in a week or two.  I'm hoping they will, at least occasionally.  What I am feeding how is much, much better than commercial food, but I really want them to have the full benefits of a raw diet, including the good that crunching bones will do for their teeth.

I had completely forgotten about the green-lipped mussel powder that I ordered until I reorganized my treats and supplements storage yesterday (I think temporary stupidity may be a symptom of flu).  I added a bit to their food last night and this morning, and that stuff is like kitty crack.  I think it is part of why Jenny finally decided to accept the raw food. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:44:49 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 11:39:34 PM »
I am thrilled you joined us!  Also, glad you found useful info.  I don't think I have ever asked a question here, that one of the whizzes hasn't been able to answer.  :)  I probably toyed with the idea of feeding raw for longer than I have been feeding raw.   Silly7  It took me a looooooong time wrap my head around it.  No one gave up on me though! 
You have helped me too...as far as the fruits and veggie ratios, when feeding Honest Kitchen Base.  Lacy dog's tummy thanks you too!! 

I think I remember MC mentioning green-lipped mussel, but don't remember what the benefit is.  ??  Also, is it okay to add it to the meals where you add Alnutrin? 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:27 AM »
I am thrilled you joined us!  Also, glad you found useful info.  I don't think I have ever asked a question here, that one of the whizzes hasn't been able to answer.  :)  I probably toyed with the idea of feeding raw for longer than I have been feeding raw.   Silly7  It took me a looooooong time wrap my head around it.  No one gave up on me though! 
You have helped me too...as far as the fruits and veggie ratios, when feeding Honest Kitchen Base.  Lacy dog's tummy thanks you too!! 

I think I remember MC mentioning green-lipped mussel, but don't remember what the benefit is.  ??  Also, is it okay to add it to the meals where you add Alnutrin?

Omega-3.  No problem adding it with Alnutrin that I know of.  I think I read that EZ-Complete has it, but Alnutrin does not.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
EZc uses green lipped mussel.  Mazy cat also takes it in a therapeutic dose for arthritis.  It has changed her life.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »
EZc uses green lipped mussel.  Mazy cat also takes it in a therapeutic dose for arthritis.  It has changed her life.

I read your thread about Mazy's arthritis today after seeing this post.  That is really wonderful! 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »
Well, I still have canned food on hand for emergencies, but I think I can safely say that I now have raw-fed cats.  They are not terribly crazy about boneless, skinless chicken breast - I think it may taste bland to them.  The green-lipped mussel powder helps with that, and I've also been adding tiny amounts of those little Weruva BFF food pouches as seasoning (a three-ounce pouch lasts six cats for a day or two), but it's been a few days since I had to offer canned because I felt that they were under-eating.  Jenny was the last hold-out, but I haven't had to open a can even for her since she finished her dinner the other night.  I guess that was her "AHA!" moment.   :)

I'll continue to post as I add new protein sources and notice changes in the cats' condition and activity levels, and especially when I start giving occasional Frankenprey meals, which is my ultimate goal.  Things I have already noticed are less poop - lots less - and the fact that they are not drinking as much water.  Mouse used to pester me at the kitchen sink every time I had the water running.  They still have fresh water, of course, both regular bowls and fountains, but I guess they are getting enough moisture from their food that they are not as thirsty as they were before.  It has really opened my eyes to how much a properly fed cat depends on its food for hydration.  I knew before, but knowing is one thing, and actually seeing it is another.  I've noticed more pee, but not a lot more, probably because I was bending over backwards to coax them to drink when they were on kibble, and they were actually pretty good about it.

I think the hardest thing from this point onward might be holding my temper with people who insist that their cats are "just fine" eating dry food, particularly when some health condition indicates that it's even worse for that particular cat than a healthy one.   bangshead

Updated:  Totally cut the cord.  I just threw out the last small unopened bag of cat kibble, some kibble-type treats still in the packets, and ground-up Temptations I had gotten to sprinkle over the raw.  No reason to keep stuff I never want to use again. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:16:41 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
Updated:  Totally cut the cord.  I just threw out the last small unopened bag of cat kibble, some kibble-type treats still in the packets, and ground-up Temptations I had gotten to sprinkle over the raw.  No reason to keep stuff I never want to use again. 

multistars  Congrats on cutting the cord!  multistars

Is there a shelter you could donate the food to?  I realize kibble's not ideal, but it's something.

As for people who claim their cats are "fine" on dry . . . yeah, join the club.  We've got jackets.   Silly7   On a more serious note, I just tell myself that this is a journey (as is life), and people are at different places on that journey.  Some just aren't there yet, and most of us were at that place at some point.  Some will "get it" eventually, others won't.  We can only put the information out there and hope that it connects with someone.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
They are not terribly crazy about boneless, skinless chicken breast - I think it may taste bland to them. 

At one time, all of our cats would eat fresh grocery store chicken boneless breasts.  Then I gave them thighs.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but two wouldn't touch any kind of grocery store chicken again. 
They will eat chicken I buy online though.   :-\

The green-lipped mussel powder helps with that, and I've also been adding tiny amounts of those little Weruva BFF food pouches as seasoning (a three-ounce pouch lasts six cats for a day or two), but it's been a few days since I had to offer canned because I felt that they were under-eating.  Jenny was the last hold-out, but I haven't had to open a can even for her since she finished her dinner the other night.  I guess that was her "AHA!" moment.   :)

For us... some jumped right into eating raw.  Others had to be coaxed.  It took different toppers, for different cats.  I could be wrong... but I think with some, it is the texture change that holds them back. 

Things I have already noticed are less poop - lots less - and the fact that they are not drinking as much water. 

A LOT less poo and no stink!!! 
I put out fresh water every day, but it is for the dog.  The only time the cats drink water is if they stay outside a long time in their enclosure...and it is warm outside.  If I were to see a cat drinking a lot of water, I would likely take them to the vet. 

I think the hardest thing from this point onward might be holding my temper with people who insist that their cats are "just fine" eating dry food, particularly when some health condition indicates that it's even worse for that particular cat than a healthy one.   bangshead

It IS tough.  I TRY to remember... I was in their shoes at one time.  I thought my cats were fine too... until one wasn't.  I also quote/post Dr. Lisa Pierson a LOT.  This link in particular:  http://catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Doing_Just_Fine_on_Dry_Food

:)

Way to go!!!  I'm also especially glad you tossed the Temptations.  They have more issues, then just about any other treat out there. 

Tags: