Author Topic: Lyme Disease *SOS to Anyone With Experiences Please!!*  (Read 4737 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Lyme Disease *SOS to Anyone With Experiences Please!!*
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
Hi Everyone ==

Just got off the phone with a dear friend whose doggie was just diagnosed. Am on my way over now to see her but if anyone has any experiences, tips, holistic approaches, they would be VERY much appreciated!! Doggie is 5 years old, a cuuuutie, little poodle mix.

Lola, you or bogie can edit after y'all have seen the title  (with the SOS...)

See y'all when I get home      grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Lyme Disease *SOS to Anyone With Experiences Please!!*
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
No reason to edit. 

Hope your friend (and you) find some HELPFUL answers for the dog!!    :-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
Snips...

Borrelia burgdorferi, which is the bacteria responsible for lyme disease, is transmitted by slow-feeding, hard-shelled deer ticks. However, infection typically occurs after the Borrelia-carrying tick has been attached to the dog for at least 18 hours.

If the diagnosis is Lyme disease, your dog will be treated as an outpatient, unless its health condition is severe. There are a number of antibiotics from which to choose. It is important that you keep your dog warm and dry, and you will need to control its activity until the clinical signs have improved. The recommended period for treatment is four weeks. Your veterinarian is unlikely to recommend dietary changes. Do not use pain medications unless they have been recommended by your veterinarian.

Unfortunately, symptoms do not always completely resolve in some animals. In fact, long-term joint pain may continue even after the bacteria has been fully eradicated from your dog's system.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_dg_lyme_disease

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
I know this is different but my sister in law has Lyme disease. Which in Canada is not recognized by doctors, they will loose their liscense if they deem someone has Lyme disease. So patients have to go to the USA to be treated in which high doses of antibiotics are given.  Though when it comes to animals Vets are able to treat them for Lyme disease. weird eh?? conspiracy? maybe? Anyhow I have been looking into this and came up with many people using collodial silver (sp) I think this can be used for animals too. Maybe you could look into that?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Lyme Disease; Anyone With Experiences, Please Post
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »
Thanks you two!!  heartbeatgif kissyou kissyou

Gonna forward info to her -- the little one's got inflammation in her hind hip.   Little dog is a very energetic acrobat-type critter so sooo hoping it was a false-positive for LD.  No other symptoms. She was her energetic little normal self today.  They're doing a urine test to make sure all organs are OK.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »
What made your friend test her dogs for Lyme Disease?

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »
Doggie couldn't raise her back legs. Thought she was having a stroke or something, the Vet did tests. Vet offered more detailed tests and something came up. I wish I knew more details (should have wrote everything exactly down what my friend told me) but a test was done for Lyme and it got a positive indication.

My friend was very upset at the vet visit and went numb (was totally scared going in).  I'm going to send her more info about it; symptoms... she can compare it with exactly what she saw happening with her doggie and possibilities of what she might expect-look out for.

Only symptom is the inflamed hip, can see some swelling. But doggie was acting normal today. Possibility that doggie just jumped the wrong way is hopefully a possibility.  

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Scary for your friend...hope she finds answers!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
Just a word of caution on the colloidal silver -- it's my understanding it kills ALL bacteria (good and bad) in the system.  You're friend may want to research that first if she wants to go that route.

My mom gets Lyme disease all the time.   :-\  I tell her she must be really tasty because the deer ticks LOVE her.  Whenever she's diagnosed with it, she's given antibiotics.  For what it's worth, I asked the woman who runs my favorite vitamin store (she used to be a nurse and keeps up her nursing license) if there's anything that can be done to keep the deer ticks away (thinking topically) and she said B1 (thiamine).  So I now have my mother taking B1 supplements (recommended to take with food).  It's only been a month and I don't think she's been outside too much lately, but we'll see if it helps.  At least it can't hurt.

Good luck, and I hope things get better for your friend and her dog soon!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »
My mom gets Lyme disease all the time. 
Pookie Lyme disease is not like the flu, once you have Lyme disease it is with you for life, there are different forms of Lyme disease you can get one that is also called Rocky mountain, to name a few.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
Our doggie was recently diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis~ also tick borne and very similar to Lyme, and I believe the treatment is similar.

Sasha has never shown any symptoms~ treatment was 30 days of doxycycline.  I didn't want to treat her for it because I didn't want to treat a dog with no symptoms.  We were told that if it was a recent infection that the doxy would get rid of it.  I suspect she has had it for a long time~ this is the first year they have tested for it as a part of her routine exam.  Anyway, my husband really wanted to treat her, so we did.

I think like with Pookie's mom~ you can put it into kind of a remission with the antibiotics.

It's tough because you can't tell if it's normal aging or if they are showing symptoms.  Sasha gets Syn-flex (liquid glucosamine & condtroitin) and at almost 12 she has no arthritis or stiffness. 

Since the only symptom was the inflamed hip, maybe it's not the Lyme~ active dogs sometimes hurt themselves and since you can test positive and have no symptoms we hope that is the case for your friend.

dogrun

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
Thanks, y'all  :)   grouphug kissyou

I also didn't know to ask her about the C6 test.   

http://www.ygrr.org/doginfo/health-lymedisease.html

<<<Dogs don’t develop all the same symptoms of Lyme Disease as people. Two to five months after infection, dogs most commonly develop lameness accompanied by a fever and inappetence. The lameness is usually caused by arthritis in the ankle or wrist joints. Young dogs are more susceptible to infection than older dogs. If your dog is limping, acting sick, and has a fever, he may very likely have Lyme Disease...
http://www.holisticvetcenter.com/lyme.htm

It wasn't in her ankle or wrist joints so that's a little encouraging (saying a little because can't take anything for granted.)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
How is your friend's dog doing?  Any updates?

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »
I called her and she said she's acting fine  :) Normal!  Thanks Lola :)  Think she's gonna ask about the C6 test thumbsup1

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:14 PM »
Happy to hear she is acting normal!!

dogrun cat2

Tags: