Author Topic: Fat content in premade Raw  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Fat content in premade Raw
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »
My Wilson has been gaining weight on this commercial raw food.
Is there too much fat in this food?
I feed him a rotation of Chicken, Rabbit, turkey (not listed), Elk, and Lamb.
Here is the nutritional info. http://www.carnivora.ca/html/featured_products/fresh_frozen_products/index.cfm
He only gets 4 oz. a day, and a heaping tsp. of wellness wet before bed time.
Wilson has been getting even more exercise now that we have stairs in the new house, lol! he loves to play and run up and down.

"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Fat content in premade Raw
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »
It may be less about fat content and more about the bio-availability of the nutrients in the food.  His body is using more of what he is eating, instead of pooping half of the food back out.

However looking at the link, those do seem pretty high in fat. Compared with the Rad Cat I feed:

http://www.radfood.com/site/856/LabAnalysis2012.pdf

A question though, is he gaining weight, or getting fatter?  With increased exercise, and better diet, he will build muscle, which weighs more than fat.  So if you are basing your observation on weighing him, maybe he's just gaining muscle. If he looks fatter, maybe his fur is just thicker from the improved diet.  If he FEELS fatter, well....that's different.  ;D

Maybe add a leaner brand into the rotation? Or cut back a little on quantity. Sometimes as little as .25 oz can make the difference.

I've had to cut back.  My cats who were eating 4.5 ounces a day now only get between 4 and 4.25 a day (combo commercial raw, PMR and canned) because of weight gain.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
Hi MC these are 8 oz patties that it is based on. When I pick him up he seems heavier. I dont think its muscle, though I will weigh him today to see what he weighs. I try to rotate all the different foods, so as not to just feed the really high in fat ones. I thought i was not giving him enough, as he is meowing for more food after he finishes sometimes.  pullingouthair.. Wilson was 13 lbs, will weigh him again today.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
I feed pretty much the same amount to all the cats, but each definitely has their own body shape...
Pippin is a skinny minnie, while Loki looks like a feline linebacker... yet they eat the same exact amount of food each day.

So, I agree that it may just be a difference of "body type" or muscle weight.
Then again.. I don't feed commercial... so that may be a bit different.
However, I would wonder a bit about the Wellness... which one are you feeding?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:02:32 PM by FurMonster Mom »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: