Author Topic: Story on Raw Feeding on CBS  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Story on Raw Feeding on CBS
« on: November 18, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »
I like CBS' "Sunday Morning" show, as almost all of the stories are not the heavy, serious, the-world-is-awful-and-so-are-people type stories.  Today they had various stories about food, and I was pleasantly surprised that they did one on feeding dogs commercial raw food.  They did mention that the AVMA recommends against it, but that was followed by a raw feeder stating that it's no different than preparing raw food that you cook for your family   bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild.  They also talk with the founder of Honest Kitchen.

Here it is:  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57550982/why-gourmet-food-is-going-to-the-dogs/
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Story on Raw Feeding on CBS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
American Veterinary Medical Association, doubt the benefits, and warn against raw pet food, in part because handling it could spread salmonella or other illnesses to humans.

Do they realllllly think people aren't going to wash their hands after handling raw food... for their pets OR themselves?  Apparently, the AVMA hasn't been keeping up with all the DRY food being pulled from the shelves, due to salmonella. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
But Raw Food does not verrrrrry generously FUND said Association and almost everything mainstream veterinary. 
Look into who the biggest STOCKholders are someday. 

The Association, and Mediots will NOT bite the hands that $$$$$$ them.  That's why the word "carnivore" is NEVER mentioned, and "species-appropriate" is ALWAYS replaced with words such as "Gourmet", "Fancy", etc. whenEVER it comes to people feeding species-appropriate diets.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »
I have to give them credit for even airing this piece, though.  I was shocked to see it at all, let alone on CBS.  And even though they mentioned the AVMA's stance on it, it was a very brief mention and immediately followed by a raw-feeder comments that it's no different than preparing food for your own family.  So instead of leaving the viewer thinking "OMG that's not safe!" the viewer was left with, "Oh, that's true.  I carefully handle raw meat for my family and clean up so that no one gets sick."

Maybe I'm just being overly positive, but that's just my  2cents.   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:19:47 AM »
Pookie,
You make a good point.   :D 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org