Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94517 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »
By the way, there is a UK wet food that sells on
Amazon.com called "Thrive"---it is not a pate. It sells for 6 for $19.99 US and the shipping is reasonable. Perhaps MC could add Thrive to the list. I've checked it out and it is a great food.

Looks like they have their own website as well.  www.thrivepetfoods.com

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
They've got a Twitter account, but haven't updated it since August, 2015, so I can't ask any questions for you there. :-\
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2016, 12:49:09 AM »
All members can always say, believe, share, etc ANYTHING!  There are very few rules here.  :)

Very nicely put and appreciated Lola.  rainbow3

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
Thrive added to the list.  The organic line would look great except it contains other things that I wouldn't feed to a cat, and they have canned (not organic) formulas that look okay too. Thanks Joy.

all businesses are out to only make a profit, unless they have shareholders.

Hmm, yes.  And once they sell out, that's what happens. I've seen it time and again over the years, small companies in it for the quality of the product for the animals, as soon as they sell out, that's the end of the quality..well it may take a few years, but it's all the same.  I dread the day Rad Cat (and Stella&Chewy's and those types) are forced to sell out to Purina or some other horrible company. Hope it doesn't happen during Mazy cat's remaining life at least. Because when that happens I will have to go all home prepared or Hare Today and The only thing I have found that Mazy cat can eat is Rad cat.

Even Rad Cat has already compromised themselves on ingredients. Not all ingredients are organic any more, and they no longer use organic egg yolk, they are using some "egg yolk powder" *and their egg shell calcium is also no longer organic.

*Egg yolk is back on the ingredients list, but not organic.

And I suspect that is part of the reason Mazy cat's issues have increased.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 08:42:46 PM »
Excellent Find for Canned Carageenan-Free Food:

Red Barn canned cat food----Available from Entirely Pets US--ships to Canada & International as well. rainbow3

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
Red Barn is at Chewy and Petflow, so it might be available at some of your other favorite sites.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:04 AM »
It contains agar-agar, which is basically the same thing as carrageenan.  It's too bad, it does look like a relatively decent food.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2016, 05:36:00 AM »
No MC, it does not, at least not the one I've ordered which is called Red Barn Tricky Chicken--I did not check them all because I was more interested in the chicken. Here are the ingredients. Perhaps some of the flavors you were looking at contain Agar-Agar but the Tricky Chicken does not:

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Whites, Natural Flavors, Potato Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Carbonate, Carrots, Guar Gum, Lecithin, Cranberries, Parsley, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
Perhaps they've removed it.  The ingredients list I read was from Chewy.com.  I've found the website now and agar-agar is not listed on the same food that it IS listed, on chewy.

I don't see Tricky Chicken anywhere?

I will write to them and see why the discrepancy. I'd like to know what their "lecithin" is too. It's not listed in their ingredient glossary.  When I hear from them I'll report back. :)

http://www.redbarninc.com/grain-free-cat-food

http://www.redbarninc.com/grain-free-cat-food/chicken-stew-5-5oz

https://www.chewy.com/cat/redbarn-naturals-chicken-stew-grain/dp/48019

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
This is the ingredients list from EntirelyPets.com for the Red Barn Tricky Chicky:

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Whites, Natural Flavors, Potato Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Carbonate, Carrots, Guar Gum, Lecithin, Cranberries, Parsley, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).

http://www.entirelypets.com/redbarn-cat-food-tricky-chicky-3-oz.html#sect5
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
"Lecithin is a fat that is essential in the cells of the body. It can be found in many foods, including soybeans and egg yolks. Lecithin is taken as a medicine and is also used in the manufacturing of medicines. Lecithin is used for treating memory disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer's disease."

MC--hope that helps.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
Thanks Joy, I do know what lecithin is. My cats take egg yolk lecithin for hairball control. I want to know what it is sourced from. Cats should not have soy.

It's odd that the Tricky Chicky isn't on their website.  The pates listed on the website are listed as containing agar-agar.  The "stews" do not have it listed.  The "naturals" on Chewy.com does list agar-agar.

I'm going to write to them to clear up these questions.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »
What I ordered is a chicken stew. Sorry, it's called Tricky Chicky or Tricky Chicki----it says "Naturals" but it also says
"Chicken Stew".  I would post the link if you permitted me to do so.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
No animal should have soy. It's all GMO--plus you're messing with their hormones when you give it to them.

With too much estrogen, you risk binding thyroid hormones and messing up their digestive system all around. That's in that book that Pookie recommended to me.

Edit:  http://www.amazon.com/Pets-Risk-Allergies-Remedies-Unsuspected/dp/0939165481/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452653240&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dr+plechner

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2016, 04:58:26 AM »
What I ordered is a chicken stew. Sorry, it's called Tricky Chicky or Tricky Chicki----it says "Naturals" but it also says
"Chicken Stew".  I would post the link if you permitted me to do so.

I saw your link from entirelypets.  It's odd though that their own website doesn't have it listed.

No animal should have soy. It's all GMO--plus you're messing with their hormones when you give it to them.

With too much estrogen, you risk binding thyroid hormones and messing up their digestive system all around. That's in that book that Pookie recommended to me.

Edit:  http://www.amazon.com/Pets-Risk-Allergies-Remedies-Unsuspected/dp/0939165481/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452653240&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dr+plechner

I agree Dee, but sadly it is in many pet foods.