Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94583 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »
MM...

1.Halo has 3 product lines which are Carageenan free:

Spot Stew (ours eat it all except the carrots)
Impulse (our cats love it)
Vigor (haven't tried it)

2. I really would add FROMM even though it contains Salmon and "Ocean Fish" --
I phoned them to confirm  that they debone all their fish, do not use any bottom-feeding
fish and their Salmon is "Wild Salmon" which is quite different from regular salmon. Wild
Salmon has many benefits and theirsis deboned. YOu don't see that often.

3. Also, as I wrote somewhere in here, the new Instinct PRIDE minced line (also a
flaked line) is outstanding in ingredients and taste. (Cheshire Chicken is outstanding)

4. Nature's Logic's Chicken, Rabbit & other flavors are also now available---I can't remember
if this is on your list but it's a great food.

We must not get discouraged. The foods are out there---we just have to find them! ;)

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »
The Rabbit in Instinct is now sourced from the U.S. as reported in several reviews on Amazon.
Also, Nutrience hard food is now available in the US and the canned food will be soon as well.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
I'm not certain why Wild Calling has been completely erased from the list. I have read some of the posts but I think too there is a
misunderstanding. We've been serving the Wildcalling "Cabin Fever" which is the chicken flavor for the past 10 months. Of course we've
been feeding other brands as well. However, we have served about 40 tins of the Cabin Fever and have never seen or had any type of
problem with any of our 3 cats.

Wildcalling is not a pate. It is like a mousse, much like Halo Stew and therefore the formation is not tight but rather mousse or soufle like.  We did try the rabbit but
could not stand looking at the red gravy. However, I can vouch for the Chicken for sure.

Furthermore, after 2 checkups, each 6 months apart, Sydney's kidney disease has NOT progressed an iota after our Vet did many tests. We must be doing something right and even more importantly, Sydney is Sydney again---active, speaking and all functions are normal. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2015, 07:14:38 AM »
It appears Wild Calling has never been on the list.  I have added it.  I would call it a pate, though the chicken is mooshy. 

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
It's mushy because there's not a lot of gunk to make it stick together. Our cats love it....I agree the rabbit looks gross although it did not cause any tummy upsets but I couldn't look at it. And we need to stick with poultry but Nature's Logic Rabbit is very nice although you need to add a bit of water to the tin to make it juicier.
Also Halo Impulse Rabbit & Garden Greens is a favorite around here. I haven't tried the Vigor line of Halo but filler or no filler, the meat in the Chicken Stew and the meat in the Impulse are excellent.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
MM--Consider this---Although FRomm uses fish in their formulas, the Salmon is WILD Salmon and iti s deboned. They do not use tile fish in their "ocean fish" --they use herring, haddock and halibut but no bottom feeders and these too are deboned. My point is this: we have to broaden our outlook somewhat. Wild Salmon is the only type of salmon that is safe now, for humans too. Very few companies use "Wild" Salmon--Fromm is a small business and I just wish they made more flavors.

Also, I have learned that kidney disease is not a death sentence. Our vet had a 12 year old female in stage 3. She is now 18 and still truckin along in stage 3 or 4!
With proper medication and diet and checkups every 6 months, a cat can live an otherwise normal quality long life. The trick is to catch it before it reaches stage 3 which makes it much easier.  However, a cat with a certain disposition---say depressed---can pass away in stage 1, if the proper meds are not given to increase appetite. It's one pill or liquid every 3 days does the trick. The med is called Mirtzapine and it goes very well with Calcitriol. I take more meds than my cats do and so does my husband for his kidney disease and my daughter.

Also, Nutrience has a grain-free canned cat food---yes, at this point it is only available in Canada but the dry food is already available in the US and the wet food will be also, very soon FYI. It's not my favorite but it belongs on the list with (Canadian beside it). To be honest, it is not one of the favorites in our home but it does fit the requirements (white tin only)

Like you, I am not cynical about this situation.  Sure, there are some bad companies out there. But there are also some great companies out there who care about their reputations. I know as a business person myself, it's not all about the money because without a great reputation, clientele diminishes, so it is in a company's best interest to maintain a great repuation. For example, we can complain about filler in Halo's Spot Stews but what about the fact that (ours & Others) cats love it, except for the peas and carrots. The meat in Halo is excellent quality and it's mushy but we're not eating it---our cats are the ones who need to enjoy the texture. I am happy to share my research with anyone who is interested, having spoken to two Nutritionists--the one from Petcurean was even complimenting other pet food companies---a true sign that what she cared about was the nutrition of our beloved Furkids.

Sorry to have written a book here!  ;) rainbow3 But no doubt our Furkids mean the world to the majority of us.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:52:07 PM by joy, Reason: Spelling & additional info »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
Joy,
I know you weren't addressing me, but...  :) 

A fish topic was started here:  http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3114.0 
You certainly can still chat in this thread about whatever.  Your post just reminded me to update the fish one.  :)

I don't feed any fish.  For ME... why take the chance?  I did feed a little bit of fish, when I was transitioning my gang from dry to wet.  Dry food addicts sometimes need a bit of enticing.  Not only is the texture change a biggie for many cats, but kibble karp is VERY addictive. 

As far as kidney disease and cats.  MOST kidney disease is caused by a species inappropriate diet of dry food.  A cat can't make up the moisture deficit at the water bowl.  Not to mention they aren't cows... they can't even chew it.  The best they can do is break a piece into a smaller piece... and wait for the swelling to begin in their tummies. 

There isn't a cat in a zoo that is fed kibble!  Vets should take note. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:36:13 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »
PS

I added Nutrience to the list.  Thank you.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
Our Vet pushes wet food all the time and suppliers like Petcurean and Fromm explained (to me on a telephone call) that generally people become very defensive
about feeding wet food which is why more is not manufactured. If nothing else, I found that both interesting and sad.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
There is also a MUCH higher profit margin in kibble.  Waste turned into "food." Can't get more profitable than that! 
People tend to not believe kibble is karp, BECAUSE of most vets.  Just look at the ingredients in many of the "Prescription" foods.  GAG! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Joy,
You may find the following of interest.  Or not.  Petcurean Pet Foods wouldn't provide their Pledge to Quality and Origin.

The Truth About Pet Food pledge that you mentioned below required Petcurean to disclose information that we are not willing to share...

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/response-from-petcurean-pet-foods-to-the-pledge/

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2015, 04:02:39 AM »
Halo's Impulse line is carageenan free as is their Vigor line.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
Taste of the Wild is on the carageenan-free list but Fromm is not on the list. I assume that
is because Fromm contains fish but so does Taste of the Wild contain fish.  :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 05:35:16 AM »
Joy, the list is an on going work in progress.  Foods are added or removed as we learn about them or as they change their formulas or disappear.  I have added a comment about fish to the TOTW. I dislike that company really a lot.  Way over rated, LOL

The fish added comments are for people (like myself) who do not feed fish to their cats. I will check into the Fromm. Thank you.

By the way the TOTW and the Fromm are extremely high in carbs.  I can tell just by looking at the "guaranteed analysis" The protein and fat are both pretty low, so that meas the bulk of the food is carbohydrates. That is the other reason I dislike these foods.

But since they are carrageenan free they can be on the list, thanks for the info!. :)