Author Topic: In the freezer too long?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
In the freezer too long?
« on: January 04, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
I just found some chicken gizzards and feet that I had gotten months ago, and put in freezer bags.  I know they are not spoiled, but they might be a bit freezer burned.  Is it okay for me to feed these as treats, to either the dogs or the cats?  Everyone is still getting ground food, but I want to start incorporating items that will help their teeth and build jaw strength. It's no great loss if I must replace them, but I don't want to toss them if there is no danger.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: In the freezer too long?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure that they're still good to give as long as they're not so freezer burnt that they're all white and crusty looking--at least for the dogs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
Jennie's chicken wings are over a year old, in the freezer.  She's still enjoying them. She only gets them on Sunday so when I cut up and freeze a pack it lasts a long time.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
I know online people that BUY freezer burned meat (from hunters) just for their furkids. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »
I know online people that BUY freezer burned meat (from hunters) just for their furkids.

I've known people who did, too.  At the time, my focus was on dogs only.  I think there are lots of things you can give a dog that might not be okay for a cat.  I knew one woman whose advice for dogs was, throw out meat only when it smells so bad that the neighbors complain.   :o  I'm pretty sure she was joking, but she was the same one who picked up road kill to take home.  Her dogs would eat, bury the leftovers in the backyard, then dig it up the next day and finish it.  I'm not quite ready to get that "natural."   

I'm sure this stuff will be fine, just wanted a second opinion.  Chicken feet for the dogs, gizzards for the cats. 

Tags: