Author Topic: Advice needed: picky eater  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Advice needed: picky eater
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
I think I may have created a wet food snob.   :-[  Bumpurr1

I keep trying to add different brands to Pookie's rotation, but he just isn't interested.  Right now he's only getting Nature's Variety Instinct or Wellness Core (which has carageenan  :().  I really want to expand what he's getting, but I'm hitting a mental block on how to nudge him into even trying these other foods.

I've sprinkled crumbled PureBites treats (he'll lick that off and leave the food  ::)), I've sprinkled the Eagle Pack probiotic, and I'm hoping to get the Vet's Best the next time I get near a store that carries it.  Back in my kibble-feeding days, I would mix the kibble and that worked.  I've considered mixing the wet, but I have a hunch he wouldn't eat it then, either, and I don't want to waste the food (it's not cheap).

Other than the Vet's Best, does anyone have other suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Advice needed: picky eater
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »
Adopt 5 more cats that eat anything... He will do as they do!  ;).

Or....You can try putting a little of the new brand and/or flavor next to the one he likes.  You can also mix a little of the new brand with the old. 

With my bunch, if the new food is a lot different ... A little blob, next to the liked food, works better than mixing the two.  It gets them used to the idea, without "ruining" the liked food.   :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
What you need are things that can't be picked out. That means DUST.  Vets-Best, yes, and forti-flora are my go to incentive dusts. I know forti-flora is yucky, because of the animal digest, and because it is a purina product.  But it works.  I use it very sparingly, and not every day.  When I open a packet I mark the date on it, so I know how long it's been opened.  Usually at the 7 day mark it's still about half full, though sometimes it does get used up.  I throw it away after it's been opened 7 days.

I wonder if Stella&Chewy's freeze dried would work as an incentive dust.....

Let's see....I've been reading about bone broth for cats lately.  I wonder if you made up some pure chicken or turkey or beef (whatever he likes most) stock.  You could freeze it in ice cube trays and just defrost one when you need some incentive.  If he likes it to begin with, that is.  The secret is to cook the bones until all the collagen has been released (it takes many hours).  Then you strain out the bones of course and are left with a lovely flavorful nutritious aspic.

I'll keep thinking...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
PS I also had the best luck with Vets Best, over Eagle Pack, Fortiflora, Banito (Sp?) flakes, and something similar to Purebites...dehydrated chicken something.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
Does Pookie like milk? This stuff is powdered goat's milk and is for both cats AND dogs:

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/supplements/pro-bloom
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
Ok, I can try the "little blob of new food" next to the stuff he's used to.  It's worth a try.  My concern with mixing was what Lola said, that it would "ruin" the old food.  Hopefully, sharing the plate with the new food won't "contaminate" it.   funny2

He doesn't like Stella & Chewy's, unfortunately (I told you he was picky!  ::))  The duck PureBites usually crumble really well, and I've tried using the dust/crumbs at the bottom of the bag, but either he still won't eat it or he'll lick off the crumbs.   ::)

I have to confess, MC, that I am "kitchen-challenged."  :-[  I have no idea how to make broth.  Maybe there's an organic one I could buy?  I have no idea if he would eat it, but it might be worth a try.  I think I have some chicken broth . . . I'll have to check the ingredients.

I've never given Pookie milk, since it's my understanding that cats are usually lactose-intolerant.  His sister, when I had her, did sneak up to my cereal bowl once and started lapping up the milk while I was in the bathroom.   funny2

The next time I visit my parents, I'll try to pick up some Vet's Best, since I think there's a place near them that sells it.  It's not an urgent thing, but it just BOTHERS me that I haven't been able to add anything else to the rotation.  My pet food store has started carrying Dave's and Hound and Gatos, and he's just NOT interested.

Is it an age thing?  He didn't used to be like this.  It used to be he'd eat just about anything I gave him.   :-\

Thanks for the suggestions, and PLEASE keep them coming!   :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:16 AM »
Goats milk is supposed to be very good for cats, it is not at all like cows milk.  I've been reading about it in the IBD raw facebook group.

No the bone broth is a very elaborate process I am sorry to say.  I make my own soup stock, and it is a similar process but apparently the bone broth has to be cooked down for hours and hours, like-days.

Here's one article on it.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/02/pet-bone-broth.aspx

another

http://www.theorganicview.com/recipes-health/cook-your-pet-a-healthy-broth/

I've gotten this info on the bone broth and the goats milk from the raw feeding cats with IBD facebook group.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
Goats milk is supposed to be very good for cats, it is not at all like cows milk.  I've been reading about it in the IBD raw facebook group.

I give it to Vlad and Barkly for a treat item of sorts on their food. I don't mix it up. I just sprinkle some on their meat every now and then. One of those packets lasts me a couple of weeks to a month depending on whether I remember it's there or not. After I open a pack, I just stick it in a zip-lock bag and put it in the fridge. Not sure if all the probiotics and digestive enzymes last long term after it's been opened, but I'm not giving it for that per se--it's just flavoring as a treat, that they go crazy over, for them.

There's more info on it though: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/media-archive/introducing-shelf-stable-instant-goat-s-milk-with-probiotics/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Thank you so much for the additional information!   :-* HeadButt :-* HeadButt :-* HeadButt :-* HeadButt

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
You could try adding a tiny bit of Sardines? really stinky stuff. It works for Shadow.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
I find that the more variety that I feed... the more they are willing to eat anything, that is served.  The downside... If anyone has any issues, it is MUCH more difficult to narrow down what food, protein, and/or ingredient is the problem. 
We have been sticking to 3 proteins and 4 brands. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
You could try adding a tiny bit of Sardines? really stinky stuff. It works for Shadow.

I was thinking about that, but have this fear that he'll get addicted to fish flavor.  Maybe I'm paranoid?   :-\

I did order the goat milk, so we'll give that a try.  If I get really desperate, though, I may have to reconsider the fish.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 01:38:51 PM »
I am as paranoid about an addiction to fish, as you are.  You are not alone. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Me too.  They get their krill oil every other day and that's it for fish.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
I can't remember if you explained, or I asked, before...
Is krill oil recommended for a particular issues, or something every cat should be given? 

Tags: