Author Topic: Abady Brand?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Abady Brand?
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
I was searching through a pet-store after someone followed in Twitter http://1800whiskers.com/V2/template2.php?CHAPITRE=13, and I came across something called:

Abady Natural Electives Exotics

It's just meat and water. That's it. I had to go look it up at another store to find the ingredients, but that's what it is. Just meat and water.

http://www.doggiefood.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=abady+exotics

It seems a bit pricey to me, but I thought y'all might want to know about it for a change sometimes. They have 8 different proteins:

Duck, Beef, Buffalo, Pheasant, Chicken, Deboned Lamb, Venison, and Mini-Mackerel

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Abady Brand?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
Hmmm...confusing!

Here's the website but I can't find any info on the canned cat foods on it. There is some info on raw.

http://therobertabadydogfoodcoltd.com/

Of the two retail stores you linked one says:         

Note for ABADY: Supplements & Food Enhancements    

All Abady cat food contains some or all of the following supplements and food enhancements, as well as the primary ingredients listed with each flavor:

Canned: di-calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, xanthan gum, choline chloride, monobasic calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (vit. E source), ascorbic acid (vit. C), pancreatic substance, l-methionine, l-carnitine, inositol, l-taurine, ferrous sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacinamide, manganese sulfate, vit. A acetate, thiamine hydrochloride, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, potassium iodide, cholecalciferol (vit. D3 source), high chromium yeast, folic acid, sodium selenite, menadione sodium bisulfite (vit. K source), biotin, cyanocobalamin concentrate (vit. B12 source).

Dry: choline chloride, potassium chloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (natural vit. E source), dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (vit. E source), cornbran, l-taurine, ferrous sulfate, inositol, vit. A acetate, ascorbic acid (vit. C), niacinamide, zinc chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine hydrochloride, high chromium yeast, pyridoxine hydrochloride, manganese sulfate, potassium iodide, cupric sulfate, ergocalciferol (vit. D3 source), cholecalciferol (vit. D3 source), cobalt chloride, menadione sodium bisulfite (vit. K source), cupric sulfate, sodium selenite, cyanocobalamin concentrate (vit. B12 source), folic acid, biotin, chromium (GTF).

The other just mentions "added vitamins and minerals" for some of the formulas, and others, like the "non prescription "Vitality" has only

Beef(Muscle-Meat), Beef Kidney, White Rice, Beef Heart, Beef Liver, Pork Fat, Beef Tripe, Sunflower Oil, whole Egg, Beef Fat, Pancreas, Thymus.

Since this is cooked food, I don't see how that can provide adequate nutrition.  Yes, all those things might be good nutrition for cats, but since they are cooked, they need supplements added.

I'll have to look into it more, thanks Dee Dee!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Maybe they're talking about those other Abady kinds?

It was only the exotics I was looking at b/c I found grains in all the others.

I specifically had to Google:   Abady Natural Electives Exotics
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:45:22 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
I don't know, it's going to take some time to sort them all out.

I just read their page on their raw diets.  They bring up an issue I never heard of before: saponin

http://therobertabadydogfoodcoltd.com/Fresh%20Frozen%20Complete%20Foods.htm

Still, there is a lot of....gobbeldygook in the article, seems to me.  But it will be something interesting to figure out.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
Some of these people in this Yahoo Group knew a few things about some of it. I've never heard of a dry food that wasn't kibble:

http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/RAW-lite/message/8012

Still, if there's grain of any kind, I'm not feeding it.

It says the exotics canned ones are just meat and water everywhere else I managed to find it, but it's still not going to do me any good in the RV. Barkly doesn't like canned.

I still think he's got texture issues like some people do. He likes french fries, but he won't eat mashed potatoes. Barkly's the weirdest dog I've ever had. And for a Corgi to be finicky just isn't heard of anywhere!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
Heh, those are old posts, but I agree with them. Thanks for the link.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
SO far the best article I've found on saponin is:

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/saponin.html

And this was pretty interesting from an autoimmune perspective:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/tag/saponin

Tags: