Author Topic: Why Feeding A Variety Of Brands/Flavors Is SO Important  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Why Feeding A Variety Of Brands/Flavors Is SO Important
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
I read that lean raw meats like beef and pork are the highest in thiamine, but all meat contains it.  Egg contains thiamine too. Hearts and gizzards also supply B vitamins, including thiamine, but not a lot.  I am not an expert, but feel fairly comfortable with the feeding regimen I've got going now.

Jennie and Queen Eva get a 1.15 (give or take) ounce prey model meal every other day, containing a muscle meat, liver, and egg shell calcium. The meats in rotation are beef (cut depends on what was on sale when I bought it), chicken breast, chicken thigh, turkey breast, turkey thigh, chicken gizzard, and Cornish hen, all parts.

Those two get Stella & Chewy's usually three meals a week. Jennie gets a bone in wing part on Sundays. They get raw egg yolk (balanced with egg shell calcium) once a week. Queen Eva gets one ounce of Rad Cat daily (three proteins rotated)

The rest of their foods are canned, the bulk (up until now) being By Nature Organic, chicken, turkey and turkey&chicken,  with Jennie also getting some Weruva (until it is used up) and Tiki Cat. Other brands come and go, the current extra brand being Wild Calling.

I am still using up, very occasionally, some Castor&Pollux and Natural Balance. They love the stuff but it is very high carb (both brands) and they both contain spinach. When it is gone it won't be replaced, but I can't afford to give away any more food.  And the poops after they've had those high carb foods..PEEEEEEEE-EWWWW!

I've just read that beef liver also contains a lot of thiamine.  I use chicken liver.  Hmm...maybe I should rotate that with beef liver..the freezer section at my grocery store does carry it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
An all raw diet is looking easier and easier...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:58 AM »
An all raw diet is looking easier and easier...

Or maybe home-cooked, since she has tolerance issues?   :-\ I think Amber was looking for some good, balanced home-cooked recipes, but I'm not sure if she ever found any.

grouphug

Ooops, sorry, this was in reference to the other thread about a food being discontinued.  My bad. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:47:20 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »
Other than using Alnutrin with cooked meat, I haven't. Sorry.

Tags: