Author Topic: "It's okay, he's used to cats"  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
"It's okay, he's used to cats"
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
You ever get that, at the vet?  You're sitting there with your highly stressed terrified cat in her carrier, and some moron is letting his dog lunge and bark at the carrier.  You turn your body trying to shield the carrier and the idiot says "Oh don't worry he's used to cats, loves them.  We have two".

My response is to state "Well she ISN'T used to dogs and she's already stressed. Please take your dog away and make him stop barking".

For that I usually get a dirty look, while they might move the dog away, they still don't seem to get it.

Some might be gracious enough to say "oh I never thought of that".  Doh1

I don't continue the conversation but if I did I would say "Never thought of it?  Aren't your cats scared when you put them in a carrier and take them to the vet?"

(This rant is not based on a recent experience (though it does happen fairly frequently when I do go) because I haven't had to be at the vet lately.  Something I read elsewhere made me think of it)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: "It's okay, he's used to cats"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:04:09 AM »
This ranks right up there with, "It's okay. He's friendly."

Guess what? My dog stresses easily, and quite often, he's not too friendly. I don't think you want to see him "playing" with his food.

Yes. I've actually told someone that.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
I don't know if it helps or not, but I always had a towel over the carrier so my cats couldn't see the dogs or other people.  I don't know if it eased their stress or not, though.

The last 2 vets I had, had separate waiting areas.  If a dog was in one area, I waited in the other.  I LOVED having that option.  It would be nice if more vets did that so situations like the one MC described are less likely to happen.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
We've got a split waiting room. Door and desk is in the middle and seating on both sides. I always move to the side where no one is (and scales aren't there), or I go stand in a corner beside the entry door to the treatment rooms.

I've refused to weigh Vlad the past 3 visits b/c other dogs were over there, and asking them to move to the other side isn't the best option since they'd have to get near us. I can generally get a feel for whether or not he'll be grump with people, but with other pets, I just don't risk it b/c I can't predict how those other pets will react. They might start something in excitement that he takes wrong, and he finishes it. None of any scenarios like that, that my brain thinks up, ends very well.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:20:56 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Kitty_Galore

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 03:19:35 PM »
It is super anoying when people dont think about others.

Our pets can get some serious PTSD from vets and the barking 90lb dog will not help a small kitty get any better.

I am sure that all cat owners had to go through this and this is one tip I can give:

Just tell them "I am sorry but could you please move your dog my cat is under a lot of stress and she can not tolerate any loud noises". It is at this point that most people understand.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
It is super anoying when people dont think about others.

Our pets can get some serious PTSD from vets and the barking 90lb dog will not help a small kitty get any better.

I am sure that all cat owners had to go through this and this is one tip I can give:

Just tell them "I am sorry but could you please move your dog my cat is under a lot of stress and she can not tolerate any loud noises". It is at this point that most people understand.

Thank you!  And Welcome to PFK!

Tags: