Author Topic: Truth about Pet food testing foods  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Truth about Pet food testing foods
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
You can now join and donate to help Truth about pet foods site, test pet food.
http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/association-for-truth-in-pet-food-2
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Truth about Pet food testing foods
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:30:12 AM »
Past AAFCO President Chad Linton explained to me (at the recent AAFCO meetings – and I thank him for this), AAFCO considers TruthaboutPetFood.com a blog.  He shared that members of AAFCO cannot allow bloggers to participate as committee advisors.  What they do allow is a representative of an organization – a stakeholder group.  With our association we will be (should be) provided with a position as advisor on every pet food related AAFCO committee (which is denied currently).  The lobby group for Big Pet Food is allowed several positions as advisors to AAFCO committees – and so does ingredient supplier associations such as National Renderers Association and National Grain and Feed Association.  Pet food consumers need equal representation as AAFCO committee advisors.

If x amount of people join Susan Thixton's association... it will allow her the possibility to become an AAFCO adviser? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
test pet food.
http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/association-for-truth-in-pet-food-2

WHO is supposed to be doing the testing? If it's the people that join, then I'm out. I'm not using my dogs for guinea pigs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:44:53 AM »
WHO is supposed to be doing the testing? If it's the people that join, then I'm out. I'm not using my dogs for guinea pigs.

I found the info to be a bit confusing, BUT it isn't that difficult to confuse me. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:09:33 AM »
I had trouble understanding the specifics too, and so have not done anything about it, yet. I do read all her reports though.  I had to snicker at her comment about people shuffling and muttering when she stands up to speak at these meetings.  She is an AMAZING person to keep at it the way she does. Thank heavens for her and people like her.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
I had trouble understanding the specifics too, and so have not done anything about it, yet.

I PayPal'd a donation, but if ever asked, I won't be helping with testing anything. I decided I don't actually have to participate to give them money. Maybe they can make things easier on people that aren't inclined to research food brands.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
Her blog makes me a bit crazy with all the advertising of her products allllll over the place.  It just clutters everything up.  IMHO

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
Advertising of products on TAPF? What products?  I don't see anything but articles?  Though I do dislike that new thing with the changing stories.  So many websites have that now, I hate it.

Are you thinking of Dr Becker maybe?  SHE is always pushing her products.  Some of her articles are good, but her product pushing is annoying.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Advertising of products on TAPF? What products?  I don't see anything but articles?  Though I do dislike that new thing with the changing stories.  So many websites have that now, I hate it.

Are you thinking of Dr Becker maybe?  SHE is always pushing her products.  Some of her articles are good, but her product pushing is annoying.

You must have her ads blocked.  lol 
I also agree about Dr. Becker. 
I get it that people have to make a living... or that they are selling products they truly believe in.  It is the "in your face" promoting and/or advertising that bothers me.  BUT... apparently it works, or they wouldn't do it. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
Yep, I use an ad blocker.  I always forget how much I miss, using it. LOL

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
Ads isn't the right word.  I just went to TAPF blog to get a screen shot for ya... the stuff I was yapping about... not there.  Her website looks pretty "clean."  

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »
Ads isn't the right word.  I just went to TAPF blog to get a screen shot for ya... the stuff I was yapping about... not there.  Her website looks pretty "clean."  

I think I know what you mean. Following the articles, there'd be stuff to scroll through before you get to the comments.   Buyer beware, petsumer, cookbook...  They all used to have pictures & take up a bunch of space (IMO).  Seems it's condensed now. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

I think I know what you mean. Following the articles, there'd be stuff to scroll through before you get to the comments.   Buyer beware, petsumer, cookbook...  They all used to have pictures & take up a bunch of space (IMO).  Seems it's condensed now. 

Yeah, that was it!  Thanks.  It does look cleaned up a LOT. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
PS
I know I'm still holding a grudge because of her dinging all wet foods ...due to moisture content.  I understand that she has since changed.  
I subscribed to her Pet Consumer Report when Leonard blocked.  Her report did contain useful info, concerning many ingredients, but steered me wrong concerning wet food.  Thankfully, I learned elsewhere.  
She was sooooo hard-headed, about a very important factor... I just don't automatically assume, as I once did.  
Her website has a lot of useful info.  Members can post links to her website as often as they like.  My grudge is just that... my grudge.  No one has to understand OR agree with me.   ;D  

PSS
Maybe I would be less crabby, about the situation, if she had stated that her point system was just her opinion.  However it was a paid subscription... and assumed factual. 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:29:06 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
Ohhhh...I'd forgotten about that, with the canned food issue.  I remember it now, though.  :(

Tags: