Author Topic: Ground Mouse (Mice)  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Ground Mouse (Mice)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 12:55:57 PM »
Re Crickets:  What if one escapes in the house? then you will have that chirping noise lol!! Im sure Mango would love crickets but im afraid one would get lost somewhere.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
None have ever escaped.  They are caught and eaten VERY fast! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
Re Crickets:  What if one escapes in the house? then you will have that chirping noise lol!! Im sure Mango would love crickets but im afraid one would get lost somewhere.

That's my worry too.  Jennie and Queen Eva are fast...I'd have to start with just one or two per cat first I think.  I love the sound of crickets outside in the summer but one in the house..not so much.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »
I'd have to start with just one or two per cat first I think.  I love the sound of crickets outside in the summer but one in the house..not so much.

10 crickets for my household is one or two per cat...  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
My order arrived.
I sent hubby a picture, via text, of the ground mouse. 
His reply...
Yum.  Oh they will love that.  Mikey... not so much. 
(Remember Mikey the kid that would eat anything.) 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
10 crickets for my household is one or two per cat...  :)

Yes. That's what I was thinking.

My order arrived.
I sent hubby a picture, via text, of the ground mouse. 
His reply...
Yum.  Oh they will love that.  Mikey... not so much. 
(Remember Mikey the kid that would eat anything.) 

Well, where's our view?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
Going back to the taurine for just a second, besides ordering online, here's another option:  if there's a health food store near you, you can buy in there in capsules, then open the capsules and sprinkle them into the ground.

I just LOVE the mental image I got of your cats chasing crickets in the dining room.   funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:42 AM »
Roxy has never been one to embrace a new protein.  When something new is introduced, she usually leaves her plate and goes and sits at the end of the wall... until I am able to talk her into eating.  She did the same with the mouse, EXCEPT not only did she leave her plate and sulk... she had plenty to "say" to me as well!  Wow, was she ever vocal!  It cracks me up how such a little girl can be so LOUD.  I ended up putting her plate (and her) in the bathroom.  That gave her time ...alone... to think about her food... and eat it. 

The first 3 plates I put down are for Roxy, Arrows, and Jenkins.  (My normal routine.) So while Roxy was throwing her fit, I continued to feed Jenkins and Arrows.  Jenkins inhaled his food.  Arrows wasn't so sure about it.  He normally eats ANYTHING without any hesitation. 
Next 3 to be fed are Goose, Lola, and Lilly.  Lilly who also normally eats anything wasn't so sure either.
I ended up adding a crushed Vets Best wafer (?) and dusting the meals for Lilly, Lola, and Goose...while "fighting" off Jenkins.
I gave some mouse to Lacy dog as well.  She did a LOT of sniffing, before she ate her portion. 

If they all were fed separately, they probably all would have eaten it eventually... without the Vets Best. 

Why I feed the way I do...
Roxy "demands" to be one of the first fed.  If not, she will "yell" at the top of her lungs and get everyone else all worked up.  Then meal time ends up stressful, instead of peaceful.
Jenkins has to be one of the first served so he is occupied... or he will run from dish to dish stealing what he can.  I spread his food from edge to edge on his plate, so it takes him a while to finish. 
Arrows is in the first feeding round because he has to run around the dining room table before eating.  The timing of the run and the setting down of his plate... just works.  lol
Lilly, Goose, and Lola take their places in line and wait very nicely.  Lola and Goose run the house.  They make the rules.  They have very strong personalities.  I would have expected them to be the difficult ones.  Nope.
Lacy dog is fed last, because she often eats something different...and has the most patience.  She is also more comfortable at the end of the food line. 

I used to have Jenkins follow me into a bedroom and feed him separately from the others.  To do that, I had to feed him first AND be able to keep the others from also entering the room.  That didn't always work very well.  I also thought if he ate with the others... maybe his food stealing behavior would improve.  I thought wrong. 

Feeding time isn't as wild as it sounds... most of the time.  A new protein being introduced or feeding rabbit... is when things can get a bit wild.

PS  The second serving of mouse went like any other meal.  Everyone ate normally.  Rabbit remains the fan favorite. 

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:05:27 AM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
Roxy "demands" to be one of the first fed.  If not, she will "yell" at the top of her lungs and get everyone else all worked up.  Then meal time ends up stressful, instead of peaceful.

So she's the "squeaky wheel."   :D  I'm glad she and the others eventually came around and ate it.  Good job, Mom!   thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
Roxy has never been one to embrace a new protein.  When something new is introduced, she usually leaves her plate and goes and sits at the end of the wall... until I am able to talk her into eating.  She did the same with the mouse, EXCEPT not only did she leave her plate and sulk... she had plenty to "say" to me as well!  Wow, was she ever vocal!  It cracks me up how such a little girl can be so LOUD.  I ended up putting her plate (and her) in the bathroom.  That gave her time ...alone... to think about her food... and eat it. 

The first 3 plates I put down are for Roxy, Arrows, and Jenkins.  (My normal routine.) So while Roxy was throwing her fit, I continued to feed Jenkins and Arrows.  Jenkins inhaled his food.  Arrows wasn't so sure about it.  He normally eats ANYTHING without any hesitation. 
Next 3 to be fed are Goose, Lola, and Lilly.  Lilly who also normally eats anything wasn't so sure either.
I ended up adding a crushed Vets Best wafer (?) and dusting the meals for Lilly, Lola, and Goose...while "fighting" off Jenkins.
I gave some mouse to Lacy dog as well.  She did a LOT of sniffing, before she ate her portion. 

If they all were fed separately, they probably all would have eaten it eventually... without the Vets Best. 

Why I feed the way I do...
Jenkins has to be one of the first served so he is occupied... or he will run from dish to dish stealing what he can.  I spread his food from edge to edge on his plate, so it takes him a while to finish. 
Arrows is in the first feeding round because he has to run around the dining room table before eating.  The timing of the run and the setting down of his plate... just works.  lol
Lilly, Goose, and Lola take their places in line and wait very nicely.  Lola and Goose run the house.  They make the rules.  They have very strong personalities.  I would have expected them to be the difficult ones.  Nope.
Lacy dog is fed last, because she often eats something different...and has the most patience.  She is also more comfortable at the end of the food line. 

I used to have Jenkins follow me into a bedroom and feed him separately from the others.  To do that, I had to feed him first AND be able to keep the others from also entering the room.  That didn't always work very well.  I also thought if he ate with the others... maybe his food stealing behavior would improve.  I thought wrong. 

Feeding time isn't as wild as it sounds... most of the time.  A new protein being introduced or feeding rabbit... is when things can get a bit wild.

PS  The second serving of mouse went like any other meal.  Everyone ate normally.  Rabbit remains the fan favorite. 

This is terrific.  I've been wondering about the feeding regimen in your house. It's quite specialized here too.

Mazy cat sits at her Spot on the table waiting, and says "PrrRRT" every time I look her way (she is fed first)

Queen Eva Chases Her Tail in various spots or plays in the living room pretending disinterest in the meal prep proceedings.

Jennie sings and sings and sings in her area of the kitchen.  She does shis funny thing where she sings and spins and at the turn of her spin lifts herself up onto her hind feet and walks her front paws across the cupboard doors, drops and does it again.  She was doing it one time when my friend D was here and she was laughing hysterically watching her.  I've never been able to get it on video yet.

Mazy is fed first, then Queen Eva.  Breakfast, Queen Eva eats at her Spot in the kitchen.  When I come home for lunch Queen Eva insists on being fed in the bathroom with the door closed.  Supper she eats in the kitchen and bed time meal she eats on my desk chair.

Jennie is fed last, and is usually first done. I am still the Dreaded Cat Food Police, but she's usually pretty good about not stealing from Queen Eva, if she knows I am watching.

Well maybe once, but I don't remember when and can't find the clip.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 01:56:59 PM »
I can "see" your cats doing all the things you mentioned.  A video would be better though.  :)
Our cats all act like the camera shoots water at them or something.  I rarely can get any pictures or video!  Not of the really good stuff anyway.

Tags: