Author Topic: Reported Leptospirosis "outbreak"  (Read 1681 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Reported Leptospirosis "outbreak"
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
I'm not sure how large Fountain Hills, AZ is, but they're reporting an outbreak to the Dog Association members after 4 dogs found to have it:

The Association of Dog Owners’ Group (ADOG) in Fountain Hills has notified its members it has recently become aware that four dogs in the community have been diagnosed with canine Leptospirosis.

The email notification states, “These confirmed cases, and possibly others, are of great concern to the welfare of our entire canine community and possibly we ourselves. . .

More at -- http://www.fhtimes.com/news/local_news/adog-warns-of-outbreak/article_99cc0bf6-ed76-11e6-9b6a-8f2ac353a6d2.html

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Reported Leptospirosis "outbreak"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
One of the dogs frequented the dog park in town.

I have yet to read one good reason to take my dog to a dog park.  I know... I'm rambling.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
My rescued beagle girl Nikki died from lepto.  I didn't know anything about it or that she should have been vaccinated for it.  The family who dumped her said she was up to date on all vaccines.  She drank flooded water several times at one of our favorite hikes along a river, that's how she got it.
 I didn't know, then, that dogs should not be let to drink from flooded waterways.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
There's a problem with the lepto vaccination, and we no longer get it.

Just Google: dangers of the lepto vaccine in dogs

Read more than one article b/c I've yet to see one with ALL of the drawbacks and why.

When so many strains exist, and they put only 4 of them into the vaccine? Just not worth it IMHO.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:41:50 AM »
Well, it doesn't apply to me any more of course because I don't have dogs.  this was many years ago.  When Nikki got sick her former owners were suddenly all over her again.  They still didn't want to deal with taking care of her, vet visits, or even letting her in the house so I continued to keep her.  But when she was dying they asked to have her back so they could "say good bye".

I let her go back because I didn't know (then) if her disease could affect my cats

But they put her in the freaking basement. My fear for the cats meant she had to spend her last weeks living in the basement of her former owners' house.  I am still angry about that I guess.  They banished her and then were all "oh boo hoo" when she was dying. Jerks.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Here's an example of what the lepto vaccine can do. . .
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
Something no one wants to hear of--better to know your dogs VERY well and get them to the vet FAST if you notice any changes that might mean they've contracted an illness like lepto or something else. . .

Pay attention to how many members that group has.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/322967551247441/permalink/584822541728606/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:48:02 PM by DeeDee »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Dr. Dodds on Lepto. . .
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
. . .Vaccine

A vaccine is available for leptospirosis but only covers four clinically significant serovars out of the seven: L. canicola, L. icterohaemorrhagiae, L. grippotyphosa, and L. pomona.

The vaccination protocol for leptospirosis is an initial shot and a booster three weeks later. After that, the vaccine must be given annually to maintain efficacy. If the annual booster lapses, your dog will need to start the protocol again from the beginning. However, please keep in mind that this vaccine is still the most common one associated with eliciting acute and per-acute adverse reactions. Thus, the disease exposure risk versus adverse vaccine reaction and benefits need to be taken into account. . .

Discussion

Leptospirosis is a rare clinical disease in companion animals. Unfortunately, infected dogs can die of leptospirosis if it is not caught early enough. 

The two most frequently questions I receive about leptospirosis overlap in some respects and are:

My companion dog was vaccinated against leptospirosis, but still developed the disease. Why?
Leptospirosis was confirmed in my area. Should I vaccinate my companion dog for it?. . .

More at: http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/158029330221/leptospirosis-in-dogs#.WL4Gm2_yu00

Tags: