Author Topic: Canned Recommendations?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Canned Recommendations?
« on: May 24, 2016, 07:09:30 PM »
When someone asks me for a canned food recommendation... so NOT easy to come up with an answer.   pullingouthair

My gut reaction is not recommend anything.  What brand/ingredients is the lessor of the evils?  *sigh*  I remember when I wanted to transition to wet.  Not getting any suggestions... or raw only suggestions... made the situation seem hopeless.  With kibble being SO bad for cats, I don't want a person to feel as I did.... or worse... not feed wet.

Anyway, I came here to look at the carrageenan free list for ideas.  Only problem...I can find a reason to not feed ANY brand in the list.  Canned feeding HAS to be a little bit easy for a person, or they will give up and feed dry.  At least that has been my experience with people.   

I reminded myself... the worst wet is better than the best dry.  :)

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Canned Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Instead of recommending brands, I tell people the learn to read labels, and what kind of things to watch out for. 

I advise that, since no canned food is going to be perfect, and it's better to feed a variety, one can compromise by feeding one food that doesn't have one of the bad ingredients, and another missing something else.

It is difficult I know, after going to raw and avoiding all processed food, to recommend anyone else feed things we no longer will.

But everyone has to start somewhere.

Avoiding carrageenan (and agar-agar) is a good start. Avoiding corn or any grains, really. Avoding potatoes and tapioca. It's a mine field!

So if someone can't manage to avoid all of those, feed a variety of foods that vary as much as possible on those undesirable ingredients.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:07 PM »
I tell them grain-free (if they can afford it) and if they want specific companies, give them Nature's Variety, Evo, Wellness and Weruva.  BUT, I also recommend they rotate brands and proteins, as some companies may be low on certain vitamins/minerals and high on others, and rotating helps reduce the chance of imbalances, and in terms of rotating proteins, it helps reduce the chance of allergies developing.

I keep in mind that, like MC said, they have to start somewhere.  There's no perfect canned food, but I'd rather they get the cat off the dry and onto an all-wet diet, while they learn about ingredients, reading labels, etc.

I also hand them the "business card" I have with links to catinfo, catnutrition and this forum, so they can learn more on their own or ask us.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:51 PM »
I explained a LITTLE about the variety that I feed.  I gave a few examples.  I kept my explanation/recommendation very simple.  I STRONGLY encouraged wet over dry. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:22:21 AM »
I tell them grain-free (if they can afford it) and if they want specific companies, give them Nature's Variety, Evo, Wellness and Weruva.  BUT, I also recommend they rotate brands and proteins, as some companies may be low on certain vitamins/minerals and high on others, and rotating helps reduce the chance of imbalances, and in terms of rotating proteins, it helps reduce the chance of allergies developing.

I keep in mind that, like MC said, they have to start somewhere.  There's no perfect canned food, but I'd rather they get the cat off the dry and onto an all-wet diet, while they learn about ingredients, reading labels, etc.

I also hand them the "business card" I have with links to catinfo, catnutrition and this forum, so they can learn more on their own or ask us.   :)

And Kittyshark?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »
And Kittyshark?

I haven't updated the cards to include that yet.   :-[

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »
I always include your website now.  My three links I post are

www.catinfo.org
www.catcentric.org
www.kittyshark.net.

I've been wondering if you are getting any traffic there....

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:13:15 PM »

www.catinfo.org
www.catcentric.org
wwwkittyshark.net.

I need to run another notice that it's there.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »

www.catinfo.org
www.catcentric.org
wwwkittyshark.net.

Aww, thank you!   HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt There's a hit counter on the first page, but it also counts when I look at it to see the number of hits  :D.  So far it's at 65 views.  I would like to update to include the information you shared, MC, on how fasting can help motility issues, but haven't written anything up yet.

I need to run another notice that it's there.

Thanks, DeeDee!   :-* :-* :-*

Tags: