Author Topic: I can't bear to shave her! There's got to be another way.  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I can't bear to shave her! There's got to be another way.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 06:18:21 AM »
I do tell them when I a going to be late, but haven't really had a conversation about it with Mazy cat.  I tell them at lunch time if I am going to be late and why (working, grocery store, going for a walk)

The rescue remedy is helping but I have also given up on trying to get her full daily quota into her.  I need to sleep, and this staying up until all hours to make sure she's had the total amount was not only killing me, it was reducing her fasting time and she HAS to have that 8 hour fast over night.

I really think that was the biggest problem.

When it's over I'll get her back up to 3.9 ounces.  She's getting anywhere from .3 -.6 short a day, but puking she loses more than that, not to mention the other detriments to regurgitation, so this will have to do for now.

It's almost over thank goodness.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 07:32:20 PM »
She brought up her lunch today. No fur in it.  Back to the status quo I guess. Looks like another week of working late. Sigh.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 09:59:04 PM »
it was reducing her fasting time and she HAS to have that 8 hour fast over night.

I really think that was the biggest problem.

I agree.  In 2nd place I'd say the stress due to the change in schedule.

When it's over I'll get her back up to 3.9 ounces.  She's getting anywhere from .3 -.6 short a day, but puking she loses more than that, not to mention the other detriments to regurgitation, so this will have to do for now.

It's almost over thank goodness.

GoodVibes   We do the best we can, esp. when it comes to special-needs kitties.  GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes CatPurr
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »
I agree... more is "lost" with the puking than the lessor amount of food. 
You can only do what you can do! 
I'm glad you are aware that you have to take care of yourself as well.  You won't do yourself any good OR the cats, if you don't take care of yourself.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
I'm glad you are aware that you have to take care of yourself as well.  You won't do yourself any good OR the cats, if you don't take care of yourself.

Well said!    thumbsup1
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:01:27 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 07:53:11 PM »
Mazy cat has only lost half an ounce through all of this! bananamiddlechild

One more late day should do it I think.  But, now I have three full lovely days off to take (I took comp time instead of pay) plus 2 hours to take an afternoon off for Mazy cat's next check up (adding in my lunch hour).

Because my work day is a 35 hour week (one hour lunch is unpaid) I have to work 5 hours extra before going into time and a half over time.  The first two years I was there I worked 2 hours a night late during January and April and those late nights almost killed me. So this year I told myself I was only going to work 5 extra hours a week, and take time off instead.

I do get vacation time but I am kind of hoarding that. And I want some Fridays off to be able to do things with people who don't need Saturdays (being retired) but involve a lot of traveling and a very long day for me.  This way I can have my long day with each loved one, and still have a whole weekend to recover, without using my vacation time.

Comp time has to be used up in a certain amount of time (I think it's within 3 months or something like that), vacation time can be accrued and saved.  Personal days (I get three) have to be used within the calendar year.

I want to save vacation time in case of anything that might come up with one of the cats that may require me to take a number of days off you know?

Anyway, back to Mazy cat. She's doing really well again, now that she's getting that 8 hour fast every night. And the reduced rations haven't hurt her much. On weekends I've been trying to get at least another half ounce extra into her.

She spent the entire day out on the porch today even though it was FREEZING!  Well it wasn't freezing really, it was probably about 40 degrees but there was a huge wind.  But she wasn't going to be cheated of her porch time.  Jennie and Queen Eva would go out for short bursts, but they never lasted more than a few minutes.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
Pookie: Thought I saw a post from you asking for an update on Mazy cat. Can't find it now.

Puking every five days at present.  Of course I am trying to acclimate her system to the HPP Rad Cat turkey also. She's all set with the HPP chicken, hopefully the HPP turkey will go the same way.

Maybe after that things will settle down for her.

So she's struggling, but at least it's not every day.

I miss taking them out in the yard.  They miss it too, but don't ask too often.  the porch helps.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Sometimes you just have to take what good there is.   HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 08:42:46 PM »
I'm just wondering (we were looking into this before I found out that Addisonians often have digestive issues when they're stressed and need more pred.), have you looked into this for Mazy?  https://www.petreleaf.com/product-category/cats

I count some of their marketing as a bunch of hype ("According to scientists, this means that the mammalian body (yes, including all dogs and cats) have evolved to actually require CBD in order to function at our optimal levels of health."); however I know that cannabinoids are often used in conjunction with chemo to help control nausea and vomiting.

Might be something you want to look at for Mazy.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
however I know that cannabinoids are often used in conjunction with chemo to help control nausea and vomiting.

Umm . . . isn't that marijuana, or the plant that marijuana comes from?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:44 PM »
Umm . . . isn't that marijuana, or the plant that marijuana comes from?

Yep, but in this case it's legal. They're getting it from hemp and not marijuana plants. Though the hemp they use won't make you high, it still contains a lot of the "good" that's in marijuana.

Taxonomy is slightly different, and a lot of places are now getting permission to grow the stuff that won't make you high:

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/the-cannabis-taxonomy-debate-where-do-indica-and-sativa-classific
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:02:18 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »
There are quite a few in the IBD group who use these products.  I am.....skeptical and reluctant. Mazy cat is extremely sensitive to any change. Though I haven't ruled it completely out for her, I really think I'd rather risk the side effects of prednisone.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
Though I haven't ruled it completely out for her, I really think I'd rather risk the side effects of prednisone.

I've repeatedly read the Canine Addison's "experts" threats of how awful prednisone is, lowest dose, blah, blah, blah, but you know, some pets just don't fit a lot of the criteria of what is "normal" for others.

It finally ran down (after I found out that more worked better for him some days) to quality of life. More than anything else, I'm more interested in making the rest of his life as good as possible. I can't tell you what to do, but, honestly, don't listen to the naysayers if you find out it's something that works. You'll see a happier pet. To me, that's what matters above all.

Quantity is for us while quality is for them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:06:05 AM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:18 AM »
Though I haven't ruled it completely out for her, I really think I'd rather risk the side effects of prednisone.

And if the dose of pred is just enough to bring her into balance, there shouldn't be side effects.

Tags: